Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Domain parking required?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Domain parking required?

Mark_RMark_R Member

Hello,

I have a few domains that i'm only using the subdomains on, the main adress (A record) I set at 127.0.0.1 because I am not broadcasting any service to the public.

Now I wonder, is this allowed? are there certain rules for this im not aware of?

personally I see no point in attaching a webserver to the domain's main A record when im only using the subdomains.

Thank you.

Comments

• 127.0.0.1 sounds familiar :)

Simply skip it, if you dont want to use the A record you dont need to assign it in the first place.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @neroux @zen

Thank you guys for clearing that up!

it would be a shame if i start losing domains due not following requirements that I am not aware of.

• wychwych Member

I can't see why it wouldn't be allowed, is it practical well...

From a SEO perspective (and depending what your doing on the domains) you should have www./non-www forwarding to whatever subdomain you are using; people are lazy.

From a developer PoV if you are not wanting to offer the service then just leave it at a blank IP; I have used Google, 127.0.0.1 but then made a VPS to just do holding pages on domains; point the IP then ads are displayed based around the keywords/terms of the domain.

I am seeing more and more where sites just drop the entries and then you get the site cannot be found if you automatically type the wrong one.

• If there are restrictions on a technical level they are usually limited to name servers (I am not aware of any registry requiring A records).

• You could just not set an A record.

• The most lovely times for a 127.0.0.1 A record is when someone is running an actual local service.

Their faces are just wonderful when they think you've done something.

Thanked by 2netomx berkay
  • You can even set A names to local network IP address (10.8.0.27, 192.168.1.1, etc) and use the domain in place of a local DNS/WINS server. It's your domain entries on your nameservers - it has nothing to do with your domain name.

• Many ISPs will often point localhost to 127.0.0.1, so I don't see why you can make any A record and point it to the same IP. Hey, if you want to auto-include an A record called GiraffeNipples and point it to 127.0.0.1, go for it!

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited March 2014

@wych said: .... you should have www./non-www forwarding to whatever subdomain you are using; people are lazy ......

@wych, Technically though, the zone apex is supposed to be an A record. Not a cname or a "forward."

Obviously, some Registrars (who host DNS) and DNS hosters offer it as "domain forwarding" or "url forwarding" (or you can get it at a 3rd party site like wwwizer). Then the zone apex will point to their IP (which could be a security risk if, for example, you have "a" listed in your SPF).

@Mark_R, But aside from that concern, I don't know of any technical restrictions about A records pointing to local networks.

• I'd still say the easiest solution is not assign any record at all.

• wychwych Member
    edited March 2014

@geekalot said:
    Technically though, the zone apex is supposed to be an A record. Not a cname or a "forward."

Yeah, make an a record but then have your site 301 non-www to www or vica versa.

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited March 2014

@wych said:
    Yeah, make an a record but then have your site 301 non-www to www or vica versa.

>

Absolutely, I do it all the time for my domains. IMHO it is better for SEO etc to pick ONE; the "naked" domain or the subdomain (www) and redirect the "loser" to the "winner".

You'll notice though that some DNS services don't have URL forwarding (Rage4, for example); causing you to have to use code, a webserver, or a 3rd party (like wwwizer, etc) to get those redirects going.

BTW, not knocking Rage4 at all - I am a believer, Rage4 is a really nice service.

• You shouldn't have any problems assigning that A record.

• lewekleoneklewekleonek Member
    edited March 2014

@darknyan said:
    The most lovely times for a 127.0.0.1 A record is when someone is running an actual local service.

Their faces are just wonderful when they think you've done something.

That's a good point @darknyan - ;)
    On the other hand, I have some DNS records pointed to 10.0.0.0/8 private range for some dev servers... some people get confused too easily though + there is some security considerations when doing that.