Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndTalk and the quote feature in Firefox 3.6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndTalk and the quote feature in Firefox 3.6

yomeroyomero Member
edited September 2011 in General

Hey

Anyone is still using Firefox 3.6? Because the quote buttons that appears over the selected text, isn't working on it.

Yes, I am using Firefox 3.6 it in my netbook (almost 2 weeks just using exclusively this slow toy). Ok, no, I am using this:

http://www.palemoon.org/

If someone want to take a look, is an optimized build of Firefox for Windows, and the 3.6 fork is the best for using little RAM.

Ok, going back to the issue, according to firebug this is the function with the problem:

window.getSelection().empty()

Any ideas? :P

EDIT: I don't want to upgrade, or use another browser for my netbook. Chrome is fine for me in my Desktop, but now is abandoned...

Comments

• I've um expressed my annoyance a couple of times now about it. I just manually copy and paste and say it's not worth the trouble.

• I've um expressed my annoyance a couple of times now about it. I just manually copy and paste and say it's not worth the trouble.

Yes, but copy pasting doesn't preserve the timestamp and the pretty quoting with your name

• You can put the name in brackets, with the link to the comment in parenthesis ;)

> [yomero said](/discussion/comment/5008#Comment_5008): Yes, but copy pasting doesn't preserve the timestamp and the pretty quoting with your name
  • Why not upgrade already? 3.6 is 2 major versions ago, it's like using ie5

• justinb said: Why not upgrade already? 3.6 is 2 major versions ago, it's like using ie5

Not ie6 :)

• Same for me. It doesn't work in my ubuntu :(

• I believe that window.getSelection doesn't work in Firefox 3.6 - it needs to be content.window.getSelection.

• luis123456 said: Same for me. It doesn't work in my ubuntu :(

It works on mine: natty, FF 6.0.2

• @justinb ¬_¬ Damn, can you read again? this version uses LESS RAM. I hate Firefox, but is the best for low resources.

Firefox 6 is a RAM eater. Opera is good (and fast, but leaks doesn't return memory used), and Chrome is a monster..

I don't want to upgrade

Thanks @NickM, maybe LEA will do that change =P (ok, I don't think so...)

@Kuro That isn't easy to write, also, is slow...

• yomero said: Opera is good (and fast, but leaks doesn't return memory used)

How do you check for memory leaks? I'm curious ^_^ Have you try the Next version?

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited September 2011

I mean, open your browser, check your memory usage, then browse some hours...
    then close all the tabs without closing the browser, check your memory usage, is big!

My reference is the transaction load (I am not sure about the translation) that taskmgr shows in Windows XP (in Vista 7, that doesn't work very well)

But yes, Opera is a good tradeoff between resources and performance. This Firefox is a turtle compared to Opera.

And I didn't tried that version, probably will be worse :P The 11.51 works ok for me, but I guess the memory problems will not get solved n_n (Supposedly that memory is used for caching bla bla)

• That problem was carried over to Firefox 4 which I had previously. But since I jumped to Firefox 6 every thing is just perfect, it's even way lighter, faster, less load on CPU etc! However, it's taking currently (after over a week not closed, and around 15 tabs open) around 300mb of RAM. But I'm sure it can take a lot less than that if restarted regularly and reasonable number of tabs is opened, you may which to try it in a portable version

Also one of these browsers may suit your netbook RAM: Flock, Maxthon, Avant Browser..and other free web browsers, if the big names are too heavy ;)

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited September 2011

I haven't tried Flock (discontinued according to it's website) or Avant, but Maxthon is heavy and bad looking imho (saturated of useless things for me).

• kylixkylix Member
    edited September 2011

Flock has been canceled some months ago. But there are quite fine alternatives. However you could also lower the RAM usage by switching off any cache, favourites, history and use the typical config.trim_on_minimize, browser.cache.memory.enable, browser.cache.memory.capacity. And of course have a look at the add-ons.

Or maybe this helps: http://www.ghacks.net/2008/01/12/firefox-ultimate-optimizer/

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited September 2011

You can also try Firefox 6 using portable version it was way too light compared to FF4 when I first tried it, not sure how it is compared to FF3 RAM usage, but don't forget to close other Firefox opened, before trying: http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/Internet/Browsers/Portable-Firefox.shtml

And Avant is using Internet Explorer engine, with a lighter interface and a lot of features.

• That's one thing I find annoying about FF. You can't have two versions open at the same time. That is soooo Windows 3.11... Darn.

• Ok, sharing my results:

I use 3 random tabs to test and the task manager to verify the increased RAM, one is a custom forum, other one is a blgspot site, and the last one is a site with an article. If I can remember well, my results were aprox like:

Chrome 300MB
    Opera 200MB
    Pale Moon (FF 3.6) 100MB !
    Palemoon (FF 6) >200MB
    Maxthon 250MB
    Slimbrowser (piece of crap, IE based) 90 MB (or sth like that)
    Avant browser (tested now, IE based, and sluggish like hell) 180MB

I know about the portables, thanks @Go59954, and by the way, I use (and recommend) this:

http://portableapps.com/

Born to be used in a pendrive, but is my desktop suite in all my Windows systems. I can reinstall my system and have all my software like before in one hour n_n

@kylix That "mem usage" column is a joke. I am not sure how it counts that numbers, but if you get one of that apps to "recover your RAM", you can get all the processes swapped and that column will be reduced for all the programs. So, my experience says that the real thing, is the transaction load in the bottom right corner (and just for Windows XP).

• That's one thing I find annoying about FF. You can't have two versions open at the same time. That is soooo Windows 3.11... Darn.

@kylix Yes, you can http://www.mouserunner.com/FF_Tips_Multiple_Fx.html

• kylixkylix Member
    edited September 2011

Nice workaround. But is there any real reason why FF won't allow to be started multiple times on its own?

@yomero: Did you set browser.cache.memory.enableto false? For me in combination with the minimize to tray it works quite fine.

Because for me with 3.6.22 and 4 tabs open (webmail, LET, youtube playing, flickr explore) FF uses 90-100 MB and not more. And I have adblock plus, echofon, etc. as add-ons enabled.

• Yes, I am looking at that setting, but I need to test in Firefox 6 n_n (or Pale Moon 6!).

But no time for now, I will get back with results :P

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited September 2011

Could always use IE?

Technically your not upgrading, your downgrading. Plus IE isn't a browser, its a block of TNT.

/EndTroll

You may just as well upgrade, I mean Firefox 4 has a lower memory footprint then FireFox 3.6, and Standard Support hey.

• For low ressources, Google Chrome is far better than Bloatfox.

• HerrMaulwurf said: For low ressources, Google Chrome is far better than Bloatfox.

Proof? That isn't true, because Chrome adds overhead in every process for every tab. If you are a hardcore user (lol), let's say 50 tabs... you will see.

• yomero said: Proof? That isn't true, because Chrome adds overhead in every process for every tab. If you are a hardcore user (lol), let's say 50 tabs... you will see.

Chrome will use more memory overall, but its what it does with that memory that counts,

One of the reasons WebKit is sooo super speedy, is because it already has the memory allocates for pretty much the entire webpage.

And lets not get started on its Caching.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I tend to go on LEB when we have lessons in the IT room to cheer things up, come on, you know how boring IGCSE ICT is!

• PM me I'll give you a bypass for it

justinb said: PM me I'll give you a bypass for it

Doubt there is one, I've tried literally all there is to try. But hey, I'm not all that good at computers I guess..

• Why not booting with a Linux live CD? :P

The computers are locked up in a cupboard, I need to take a picture. All we can see is the screen and keyboard.

• The computers are locked up in a cupboard, I need to take a picture. All we can see is the screen and keyboard.

I had to deal with that type of setup at UNCC when I used their library as well. One of the main reasons why I started using a laptop for my work.