Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which DNS site to use for domains - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which DNS site to use for domains

2»

Comments

• pointhq.com works well for me..

• I started to use namecheap.com's free dns service for a domain I registered at internet.bs registrar - works fine with 5 nameservers :)

• I've been using Cloudns.net since everydns announced they're stopping their service. I haven't had any issues at all, great service if you need DNS for 3 or fewer domains.

• twaintwain Member

Do any of these DNS services? he.net etc.. allow you to point ns1/ns2.mydomain.com to their servers, etc?

• Premium Cloudns.net they do it

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Your registrar may also offer free DNS.

• OneTwoOneTwo Member
    edited April 2012

@giang said: geoscaling.com

is cool. try it.

i self host with maradns.

• no one mentioned zerigo.com? I'm using it and it's good. 6 NS on different ASN (?)
    pointhq is good also.

• Does anyone know what Hurricane Electric's free DNS monthly query limit is? I've always been skeptical of any DNS service that doesn't make their limit public knowledge. I've been suspended from way too many DNS services for hitting some unknown limit (which is why I pay for dnsmadeeasy.com right now).

• AdamAdam Member

Haven't tried them yet, but I'm thinking of moving some domains to Dediserve:
    http://www.dediserve.com/dns/cloud-dns/

50 zones for free, and TEMPLATES!!! (only downside is a 60min TTL, but that's not a big deal).

• twaintwain Member

Looks like http://freedns.afraid.org/ does the DNS branding (ie point ns1/ns1.mydomain.com to their servers) that I was asking about... anyone have experience with the afraid free DNS service?

• afraid.org was ddosed too much when I used it around a year ago.

• twaintwain Member

OK I'm thinking about trying self-hosted DNS, but I want a web-interface... so I'm thinking two VPS'es each with ISPConfig but for DNS only.. one VPS as primary with ISPConfig web interface+DNS, and another VPS as secondary/mirror with ISPConfig/DNS only... I won't need much disk space on the VPS'es but how much RAM do you think is needed for ISPconfig web interface/DNS on one and ISPConfig/DNS only on the other? 512 enough for each?

• Amazon Route 53 - http://aws.amazon.com/route53/

$0.50 per hosted zone / month for the first 25 hosted zones
    $0.10 per hosted zone / month for additional hosted zones

$0.500 per million queries – first 1 Billion queries / month
    $0.250 per million queries – over 1 Billion queries / month

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@shaanl - you complete idiot. Most people will know what I'm on about.

Thanked by 1Taz
  • TazTaz Member

Jeesus (And I am not even Christian!) Dafuq is that? Almost a year old thread. DAMN Bro!

• KuroKuro Member

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: Almost a year old thread.

Because a year is obviously ~5 months long >_>

Thanked by 1shaanl
  • It's just here for reference, sharing information, so people have more choices.

• TazTaz Member
    edited August 2012

@kuro started back in September 2011?

• KuroKuro Member

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: @kuro started back in September 2011?

Sorry, I was only looking at all the replies from April 10th, and lately with everyone fussing over people reviving old threads....

• @Go59954 said: Is it the case in BIND? Since if I'm right, you have to do a small change in config, not too sure, but I recall it didn't work out of the box when I tested round-robin with BIND I had to change some config and still it didn't function as it should, not sure why. Should it work out of the box in BIND as well?

You need to add in following code in /etc/bind/named.conf.options to make the round-robin works in BIND.

options {
            rrset-order {order cyclic;};
    };

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited August 2012

Here's a list of free or cheap DNS hosting providers:

http://widwad.com/content/dns-hosting-options