Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's your experience with ChicagoVPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's your experience with ChicagoVPS?

I have heard a lot of people having issues with there services in many ways.
I have a server with them, and it's been pretty good, haven't had very many issues.
So the question is, what is your experience with ChicagoVPS?

Comments

• awsonawson Member

I've never had any problems with their services. People just seem to get really flustered when their employees say bad words on a forum.

• Good, no real issues. Few support tickets answered relatively quickly for the price.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

+1 @awson

• Server has been stable, haven't had to contact support yet.

• blackblack Member

Generally positive.

• LeeLee Veteran

Was stable when I used them in all locations other than Atlanta. To be honest, depending on the project I would use them again regardless of the drama.

• No issues. Out of ~250 VPS's, I have 5 with Chicago VPS. Maybe 30 others have migrated IPs, experienced long downtime or whatnot. No issues with ChicagoVPS whatsoever.

• I have 3 VPS's with them and have had a good experience so far. What I tend to notice is that when you first order a VPS from them you will see some issues as they are probably filling up the node. Once it is full you have a short period when they find abusers and remove them or migrate them to a more suitable box. Then things are stable more or less from then on out. I have had a few support tickets and they were answered promptly and they even did a bit of extra work in my opinion with the first request I had (related to getting a custom OS for my VPS).

Purchase dates:

• 2: March 2013
    • 3: May 2013
    • 4: December 2013

My current uptime so far this year is quite good:
    2014 Uptime

Last year wasn't that bad either imo:
    2013 Uptime

• ricardo said: Out of ~250 VPS's

What? :)

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited March 2014

234 even. 100 unique providers. 9 with chicagovps purchased between april'13 and january'14... all running smoothly.

All <$30/year too. I should become an affiliate and make a comparison site ;o)

• Recently I messed up my vps with them, and in the middle of the night one of their support agents restored it for me from their weekly backups. They are also the only host that I use bi-annual billing with because some of their long term offers are great.

• @ricardo you are taking the LEB-o-cholic syndrome to extremes :)

Thanked by 3mpkossen TheHackBox tux
  • no, it's not a hobby. I have a budget to spend and they're serving a purpose.

• ricardo said: 234 even. 100 unique providers. 9 with chicagovps purchased between april'13 and january'14... all running smoothly.

Have you included us in your vps collection :p

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited March 2014

ftpit

yes, just the one on nov'13. fwiw no problems with you guys either. will start a thread in the near future to see if i've missed any. got a habit of taking threads off-topic now.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I had one of the 2GB specials when they first came out. Ran great, used it as a Minecraft server for my nephew. Unfortunately, it started to spuriously reboot nearly every night, so became more trouble than it was worth.

I later had one of their 126MB yearlies in LA from mid 2012-2013. It was OK to start with, but after a few months the network was up and down like a whore's draws. Support were completely unable to figure it out, so I got it moved to Chicago where the problems subsided, but I never really used it again.

Support wasn't the best either, I needed some IPTables modules enabled for OpenVPN-AS and it took absolutely ages to get right, although in all fairness plenty of other providers have failed miserably with the same request.

• Wow, people really have been wrong about ChicagoVPS. Glad to see they have improved!

• LeeLee Veteran

Well, I would not go that far, a lot of things about CVPS were right, but as far as the service goes, it's stable and usable. What more do you need from that point of view.

• HeinzHeinz Member
    edited March 2014

Hack incident did not made me happy but after that I can say nothing but good about my experience with ChicagoVPS.

up 148 days
    Download speed from CacheFly: 62.9MB/s
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 6.55147 s, 164 MB/s

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

ricardo said: 234 even. 100 unique providers. 9 with chicagovps purchased between april'13 and january'14... all running smoothly.

I am impressed

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • tchentchen Member

Node selection is kinda hit and miss at times. A ticket is all it takes to get moved. However, some packages/node sets were surprisingly stable, especially those that aren't as LE* popular for various reasons. I've tended to have the most trouble with their bottom barrel low-end packages. Couple technical gotchas were

1) some ovz containers were experiencing decoupling from SolusVM and by extension the new CP.

2) KVM templates require a ticket to set the password on rebuild. (the CP doesn't support resets and doesn't tell you the password)

Submitted tickets on the matter tend to clear it up in a day or less. From all the hoopla here and there, I honestly expected far worse. I've experienced far worse from others.

• I have with chicagoVPS more than 2 year +, this is the uptime for the VPS, I checked just now:

Current Server Time 2014-03-05 22:35:45 Server Uptime 2Day4Hour56Minute

Hard to predict the uptime.

• @W1V_Lee I didn't mean it like that, I had heard that there support was the thing they were struggling from time to time. I'm pretty sure they improved now though.
    As for the service itself, yes, it's always been great (for me at least).

• No major issues with them. But one time they forgot to boot up my VPS after a short down time, that's made my VPS stayed offline for 12 hours. Overall, I rated 3.5/5 for them.

• I have a box with them that im using for production and ive had 100% uptime for last 2 months, io and speed are perfect. never had to contact support so cant say anything about that. i guess its just the let circlejerk saying shit about them every time someone posts about them

• @eddynetweb said:
    Wow, people really have been wrong about ChicagoVPS. Glad to see they have improved!

When i first saw the thread, i figured it was going to be another bashing thread. Glad to see it wasn't. I've been with them in highs and lows, their lows wern't 100% their fault. Anyways my vps with them is one of the quickest I have. ($25 bi-annual)

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 V2 @ 3.40GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency : 3401.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 2048 MB
    Total amount of swap : 0 MB
    System uptime : 7 days, 36 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 67.0MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 37.6MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 43.4MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 7.49MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 7.23MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 10.5MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 3.24MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 832KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 24.3MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 48.6MB/s
    I/O speed : 234 MB/s

• I've had a VPS in Buffalo since June '13 and it as been hassle free (excluding the solusvm incident).

They've resolved tickets within the same day (minutes in one instance). Their replies were terse but gave me the info I needed. I've never had problems communicating with them.

The VPS has only incurred 5 unplanned downtimes and only once was my service not restored within 30 minutes.

I don't see why people like to put the hate on ChicagoVPS. My service is solid and I've received good tech support. Nothing to complain about regarding ChicagoVPS. Maybe that's because I function on the command line instead of depending on everything admin'ed through control panels.

See ya...

d.c.

• I have there LA vps from almost 15 months..

here is the current uptime.. 08:20:14 up 92 days, 11:37, 1 user, load average: 1.57, 1.03, 0.93

support is quick some times and some times i have seen delays of upto 1-1.5 days for a response.

if support improves further, definitely they will become the best budget provider.

• LeeLee Veteran

@ksubedi said:
    i guess its just the let circlejerk saying shit about them every time someone posts about them

Don't see anything but decent comments, until you posted that comment, maybe you are just trying to encite people with it.

• ksubediksubedi Member
    edited March 2014

@W1V_Lee said:
    Don't see anything but decent comments, until you posted that comment, maybe you are just trying to encite people with it.

do i need to teach you how to read english or something? i never said i was only talking about this thread, and its a well known fact that anytime chris or anyone from chicagovps appears, people start talking shit or making fun of them. let me know if you need links as proof. and its usually people with your type of attitude that start that all that too