Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to get an expiring domain (pending delete state) ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to get an expiring domain (pending delete state) ?

A domain I am interested in is currently showing as "pendingDelete" at internic.

It was originally registered at tucows, has passed both grace + redemption period (i think).

Snapnames now shows the domain as "available soon" on a particular date.

1)Now does it mean snapnames will definitely acquire this domain
i) if there is at least a single bid or
ii) even without any bid

2) IF snapnames does not have any exclusive right to this domain and it is in the race like any other drop catcher then shouldn't I just backorder with godaddy for a lower price ?

3) Should I just bid on snapnames/use any drop catching service or wait for the actual drop day and try to register on my own ? I know in most likelihood nobody is interested in this domain at least not enough to pay something like a hundred bucks for it but I am worried that some crazy drop catcher might add it to their private portfolio and then demand a hefty amount for it.

Comments

• Well, if you seriously want to get the domain or if it's a good domain (with others trying to get it as well), use snapnames.

Otherwise, just wait till it drops and manually register it.

http://www.registercompass.org/imgs/screens/pd-cycle.png

• @forthcloud said:
    Well, if you seriously want to get the domain or if it's a good domain (with others trying to get it as well), use snapnames.

Otherwise, just wait till it drops and manually register it.

http://www.registercompass.org/imgs/screens/pd-cycle.png

But will snapnames try to acquire the domain even if there is not even a single bid on it ?

• forthcloudforthcloud Member
    edited February 2014

Snapnames monitors your domain so when it gets dropped Snapnames will try to register it ASAP. It will still register your domain even if there is no bids, iirc.

Thanked by 1raza19
  • Add the domain to snapnames.com, pool.com, and namejet.com. One of the 3 will get it. You do not pay unless they acquire the domain for you.

Thanked by 1raza19
  • @cursorsequence said:
    Add the domain to snapnames.com, pool.com, and namejet.com. One of the 3 will get it. You do not pay unless they acquire the domain for you.

Snapnames has the highest success rate fyi.

• I've heard good things about https://www.pheenix.com/ from many domainers who have caught premuim domains using them, cheap as well, $18.95 for a .com and only charged if they catch it (i currently have loads of domains in my backorder list to prevent anyone else using the service if the domain was ever to drop, and no upfront costs for this)

Snapnames, Godaddy, and the likes of them will auction your domain in public if anyone else backorders it

Another good one is domainmonster, the best ones to go for are ones which only allow first come first served, and no upfront costs, they have to work harder to get the domain to get a sale

Thanked by 1raza19
  • I was just thinking, since I have access to around 5 domain reseller programs & their Api Integrated, shouldn't I use my own Api calls in a loop to try and register this domain ?

I understand there could be limits to Api calls/sec but has anyone followed the limits while calling multiple reseller programs and successfully catching a dropped domain using his own code/Api access instead of the big catchers ?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Keep in mind that once you hit expiration date, you still have months before the domain is available even if absolutely no one is interested.

http://www.pixelmade.com/blog/domain-names/domain-name-expiration-process

• r0t3nr0t3n Member

The major dropcatchers have many more registrars than you, plus loads of servers bashing api's multiple times per second, not to mention they own their own registrars so take out the middle man, they are already faster...

I forgot to mention BackOrderZone above, i've heard they are on par with snapnames and namejet, rivalling them on multiple occasions, cost from $49 but still employ an auction process...

• @forthcloud said:

So far my success has been pool, Snapnames, namejet

Pool has acquired 6 domains for me when the others did not. However they are in Canada so you might get hit with a few international charges.

• @forthcloud said:

Just got this email

SnapNames Has Been Acquired by Web.com
    To SnapNames Valued Customers and Partners:

It is my pleasure to announce that SnapNames has been acquired by Web.com (Nasdaq: WWWW) from KeyDrive S.A. Web.com is a leading provider of Internet services and online marketing solutions for small businesses. SnapNames joins the Web.com family of companies including two of the world’s largest retail registrars, Network Solutions and Register.com.

As a valued customer, we want you to know that we expect our business with you to be “business as usual.” You will continue to work with the same SnapNames team under the same terms and conditions that were in effect prior to the acquisition – under my leadership.

Since 2000, SnapNames’ technology defined the global domain name aftermarket by providing customers convenient access to domain names across all categories, including expiring, deleting and privately-owned. This success was accomplished with your support and we sincerely thank you. We believe the addition of SnapNames to the Web.com group will further expand our overall global partnership channels.

As we move ahead in the integration of the two businesses, we ask that all current SnapNames customers and partners continue to use their existing contacts. SnapNames and Moniker will continue to cooperate similarly to how they have in the past. Domain names currently accessible through the Moniker interface will remain accessible through that interface. We will promptly communicate any changes as they are made available. For support contacts, hours and portal access please continue to visit: https://www.snapnames.com/support.jsp.

Thank you for your continued business and support.

Regards,

Craig Snyder
    CEO, SnapNames

• raza19raza19 Veteran

despite using almost all drop catchers , the domain still slipped away!

its weird, the domain does not given any name of the owner but the mentioned details are

Registrar: TUVALUDOMAINS, LLC,

>

Whois Server: whois2.domain.com,

>

Referral URL: http://www.domain.com

>

expiration date is year later.

are they domain tasting or is the domain gone for good?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Some of those domain companies register tons of domains and seem to hold onto them forever.

Thanked by 1raza19
  • ViennaVienna Member
    edited March 2014

are they domain tasting or is the domain gone for good?

Wait for the max. period tasting is possible for this domain plus a day or two without visiting the domain (because that would show up in their logs and make it more valuable for them and hence lower the chances they might drop it again if they are tasting it...), then you should know.

Thanked by 1raza19
  • raza19raza19 Veteran

@Vienna said:

But the weird thing is , they do not have any nameservers mentioned !

• @raza19 said: But the weird thing is , they do not have any nameservers mentioned !

Well, this only means they don't want to actively use it, at the moment. Then it's pretty unlikely they are tasting the domain, imo. I've seen this before with companies who want to keep certain domains off the market and under their own control for brand protection, without actually using them for anything. And while in theory whois information is supposed to be correct, in reality there is quite a bit of fake information and empty fields in these databases. As long as the fee is paid and at least the contact email address is working, most registries and registrars really don't care a lot.

• raza19raza19 Veteran

@Vienna said:

Yes it does seem like they plan on keeping it though there is no name/details of the original registrant ..

anyways , I am just boggled at how they managed to get it! Not snapnames, namejet, pool, pheenix, godaddy(paid in advance!) ! These guys got it without using the popular drop catchers :s how is that even possible unless they have like a direct access to God :s

• I guess they didn't catch it after it became available again but got it restored slightly before. Sometimes businesses don't like auto-renewal but forget to renew all of their many unused domains in time. Then - usually just a few hours before the domain would be gone for good - someone notices, panicks and is willing to pay any absurd restoration fee requested, just to secure that domain once again. Not really rational, but very human... ;-)

• raza19raza19 Veteran

@Vienna said:

>

Something very very weird is happening ! I think I think I got the domain :s :s & tuvaludomains is one of the registrars snapname uses !!!! :) :)

Will keep you posted , I haven't heard anything from snapnames yet but was reading elsewhere that tuvalu is somehow connected to snapnames or the latter uses them.

• raza19raza19 Veteran
    edited March 2014

Thank you everybody :) This rollercoaster ride convinced me that I really wanted this domain plus the money was well worth it .

Whats fascinating is that based on the recommendations here I backordered at all 5 locations exactly 10 minutes before the deadline. Kudos to the LET community :)