Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS Provider Comparison Table - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS Provider Comparison Table

2»

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Update: I've made the ReThinkVPS and VPSCheap plans visible; the BurstNET, VPS6, 123COM, EDIS and Fliphost providers seem to be incomplete (only 1 or 2 plans submitted for each).

@ErrantWeb said: Just make the table say Burst/vSwap

That wouldn't work, because there's two different ways of measuring. In case of OpenVZ burstable RAM, the amount of 'Burstable RAM' is the guaranteed RAM plus the additional bit of RAM that you can use. In the case of vSwap, it's usually written as only the vSwap size itself, and the original amount of dedicated RAM won't be included; that basically makes it impossible to compare the two in the same column in the same table, as '2048MB burst' would mean something entirely different from '2048MB vSwap' - it would, in fact, make plans with vSwap look far less powerful since the 'burst' numbers are lower, even if the 'total amount of RAM' (so to say) is the same.

Right, so after trying to hack around in the DataTables source for the umpteenth time, I got tired of the thing altogether - so I decided to re-implement the whole thing myself. I've put up a testing version of the new table on http://vps-list.cryto.net/beta/ - please test it out a bit and see if you can find any bugs or strange/non-functional things.

Column headers should now be clickable to sort (and they sort correctly), and pagination should work correctly and automatically adjust based on your window size, meaning no vertical scrollbars anymore. Filters have not been implemented yet, I'm working on that.

Additionally, I picked up the idea to implement an authentication system like Google Apps has, to allow VPS provider owners to 'claim' their company by putting a file with a certain name in the root of their site, after which they can pick a username and password that they will be able to use to edit/update/add their own plans. User submission will still stay open. Any thoughts/feedback on this idea?

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited April 2012

I love your ideas =)

Is a little bit slow, just that :P
    Maybe you can consider a pager (dynamic), or don't show all the stuff and force it to some filtering.

edited April 2012

The filtering sliders now work on the new version, I will soon be replacing the old version with the new one :)

@yomero said: Is a little bit slow, just that :P

Maybe you can consider a pager (dynamic), or don't show all the stuff and force it to some filtering.

It does actually already seriously decrease resource usage by paginating the results, meaning there are always only a few visible (so the rest doesn't have to be rendered). The problem is that the whole list of plans is still loaded client-side, and that is pretty much necessary to do the sorting and filtering etc. I could theoretically do all the sorting and filtering server-side, but aside from introducing some very annoying latency, it would put a serious load on my server, which is probably not a great idea... The code is actually already optimized in some places; for example, it uses a cached array of objects to apply filters to, rather than traversing the DOM every time you move a slider, which massively decreases the resource usage and lag :)

EDIT: The old version is now gone and has been replaced by the new version. http://vps-list.cryto.net/ it is :)

• xenuxenu Member
    edited April 2012

Your site doesn't work under IE9. Also, I think that you should add other currencies.

• @xenu said: Your site doesn't work under IE9.

IE9 doesn't work at all

• @joepie91 This is awesome!
    Maybe you could add an 'In Stock?' field, similar to @LES 's www.lowendstock.com?

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@joepie91 I would like a "review and confirm" before submit plans, I'm not sure if all submissions are correct :)

• titanicsaledtitanicsaled Member
    edited April 2012

Amazing project @joepie91, keep up the good work

Edit - You could probably get a provider to sponsor you to get their plans on the top of the table ;)

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Yes, Loving the work :)

Some people do not impress me, but you surely did.

Kudos to that ;)

• Damn, you use IE? ¬_¬

Linux gurus like you must not use it at all u_u

• Sometimes people are forced to use IE, at a workplace with a locked down workstation maybe... What I hate is people who just block you instead of just letting you try and see what is possible even with errors...

• @yomero said: Linux gurus like you must not use it at all u_u

I don't even use Windows at all <_<

@titanicsaled said: Edit - You could probably get a provider to sponsor you to get their plans on the top of the table ;)

I have no plans to do anything like that; after all, the whole idea here is to give a solid overview of providers. It doesn't help if you distort that by using 'sponsored results'; it should simply display the results in the way the user wants them to. Aside from that, I don't do any commercial stuff out of principle, and I literally live off donations :)

@xenu said: Your site doesn't work under IE9. Also, I think that you should add other currencies.

I have not actually tested it in Internet Explorer, since I don't provide explicit support for it in any of my projects (I'd rather spend my time on building something useful, rather than trying to work around shitty implementations in a horribly buggy browser). I'll boot up my Windows box and have a look to see if I can find what the issue is, but I can't guarantee it will function properly in IE.

@prometeus said: @joepie91 I would like a "review and confirm" before submit plans, I'm not sure if all submissions are correct :)

Can you elaborate on what you mean with this?

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@joepie91 said: Can you elaborate on what you mean with this?

When you hit the submit button it would be nice to have an intermediate step whre you can you can review the info and have the choice to go back to edit (if something need to be changed) or confirm the submission.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited April 2012

Do you will have a poll/comment system? :P
    Also, probably having something to indicate if a VPS has vswap or burst can be useful

@yomero said: Do you will have a poll/comment system? :P

In the future, it will have that... first some other things will have to be done though.

Also, probably having something to indicate if a VPS has vswap or burst can be useful

That is one of the most important things that still has to be implemented, it's already in the works :)

Thanked by 1yomero
  • It would be nice if you could add a feature that highlights rows. My monitor is only 1440px wide so I have to scroll to see DNS, Billing, and Backup. Once I'm scrolled I don't see the provider name. See the frustration?

Other than that, great work! :)

@phxadam said: It would be nice if you could add a feature that highlights rows. My monitor is only 1440px wide so I have to scroll to see DNS, Billing, and Backup. Once I'm scrolled I don't see the provider name. See the frustration?

I still have to figure out a decent way to make the provider name and plan name always be visible, even if scrolled horizontally. That was originally always the plan, but I haven't figured out a very decent way yet, other than effectively cloning the first two columns into a new table that overlays the main table... which is a bit hacky.

• MAybe the idea of highlighting is better :P

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

I'm sad we were not included :(

Its really nice tho.... good work!

Regards,

Chris

• @CVPS_Chris said: I'm sad we were not included :(

http://vps-list.cryto.net/quickadd.php worked for me, does it not for you?

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • edited April 2012

@Raymii said: Sometimes people are forced to use IE, at a workplace with a locked down workstation maybe... What I hate is people who just block you instead of just letting you try and see what is possible even with errors...

This happen to my country

BTW
    its an awesome work!!
    nice script you have there

• LAKidLAKid Member

• @LAKid said: Loading...

Working

• Made a donation of 5 Euros, hopefully thats enough to buy you a coffee for your time :)

Thanked by 1yomero
  • edited April 2012

Nice work on the site and code. thumbs up

One thing I thought initially was that it was a bit odd that IRC and DNS were included as columns; they seemed a little more out of place from the other more fundamental info. I would think that if anything, features like RDNS support and or Instant Setup would be more useful for someone looking to pick out a plan initially. More specialty/TOS concerns would have to be learned from clicking thru to the companies website. You of course cant fit everything in that initial view so I would probably limit it to plan fundamentals.

• I would just like to say that comparison table is really nice. Keep up the good work

• Sorry to bumping this thread, but the site is down for a really long time now, and i really did like it, it was really clear and easy to use to compare hosts.
    So my question: is it dead?