Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They call it Digital Ocean killer. A cloud service from Choopa/Constant: https://www.vultr.com/ - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

They call it Digital Ocean killer. A cloud service from Choopa/Constant: https://www.vultr.com/

Comments

• wojonswojons Member
    edited February 2014

@RichardLeik said:
    It kills DO technically. But DO was always about marketing anyways, typical DO customers won't care about RAID5 vs RAID10, etc.

I been on do for a while and i mean its fine i been looking for a provider to move my git server to and a few other things and this looks like it.

seraphkz said: Hmm. They only have CentOS and Ubuntu templates?

i know i opened a ticket about this. i need debian

• How can this be a DO killer? No snapshots, no backups, no private network, only four OS "templates".

Hope they will add more OS templates soon (like CentOS 32bit maybe) and other features like snapshot/backups and private networks etc, or this was a huge waste of $50.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • Honestly, it's not that great right now. I mean, they've only got three (four if France is actually available) locations.

• Monsta_AU said: 28ms ping

it could also be because i have an awesome 1.5mbit connection :-P
    i get 60ms to ransomit's servers @ colocity

• And it do NOT take 60 seconds to deploy a new server, or it deploys, but the OS installations takes several minutes to complete, so you do NOT get a online server in 60 seconds like you do with DigitalOcean.

• @myhken said:
    How can this be a DO killer? No snapshots, no backups, no private network, only four OS "templates".

Hope they will add more OS templates soon (like CentOS 32bit maybe) and other features like snapshot/backups and private networks etc, or this was a huge waste of $50.

They are doing it right. It's not easy to do everything right and give access to everything from the beginning of the service. The service is very new. I don't think DO had all those features when they first started.

@myhken said:
    And it do NOT take 60 seconds to deploy a new server, or it deploys, but the OS installations takes several minutes to complete, so you do NOT get a online server in 60 seconds like you do with DigitalOcean.

Because they are not touching your VPS's OS. They are installing the OS like you install it yourself but scripted. They are not using templates or preloaded kernel like DO.

Ubuntu takes long to install since it downloads all the packets while installing. Try CentOS, it should be ready in ~60 seconds.

• serverian said: Ubuntu takes long to install since it downloads all the packets while installing. Try CentOS, it should be ready in ~60 seconds.

I always use CentOS, the installation took around 5 minutes to complete. Using their France location.

• @myhken said:

Hmm, I did not try that location. I've tried NJ and AMS. They got installed in around a minute.

• No IPv6, only Centos and Ubuntu, maybe I will pass, and wait for the improvement later.

• No debian is very poor.

Thanked by 3Noerman tux Rapta
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

1000 points for novnc.

• Will definitely give it a go when their location in Australia opens up!

• omg even a datacenter from Australia. I'd love that

• Yep, I will be on the Aussie location once it is up. Direct transit via my ISP is a major plus!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

DO will always win with free service. Nobody will kill it :P

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

No ip6 :( looks interesting either way

• Non Primary locations seems to be single homed.

• kyakykyaky Member
    edited February 2014

@Maounique said:
    DO will always win with free service. Nobody will kill it :P

I don't think this company is invested with heavy funds by venture capital companies like DO either.

• NickkNickk Member
    edited February 2014

Who said it was a DO killer?

• According to them debian is available next month

• What's their DDoS protection like?

• @irm said:
    What's their DDoS protection like?

Pay $5 and you'll find out

• So many SOLD OUT, such lesser OS

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

cosmicgate said: According to them debian is available next month

Ask when Japan/Australia will be available.

• serverian said: @myhken said: How can this be a DO killer? No snapshots, no backups, no private network, only four OS "templates".

They are doing it right. It's not easy to do everything right and give access to everything from the beginning of the service. The service is very new. I don't think DO had all those features when they first started.

DO less than 6 months ago started there shared private network roll out and not even sure if they done it in all location.

serverian said: Because they are not touching your VPS's OS. They are installing the OS like you install it yourself but scripted. They are not using templates or preloaded kernel like DO.

Ubuntu takes long to install since it downloads all the packets while installing. Try CentOS, it should be ready in ~60 seconds.

i like this because i know there are no crazy mods being done to the image i am getting i guess less fear of NSA back door in the os also.

• howardsl2howardsl2 Member
    edited February 2014

As of yesterday DO expired all promo codes according to their Twitter post (Your existing account credit shouldn't be affected by this). Guess that they've finally decided to focus on revenue instead of providing "free" service.

• My $74.95 credit with DO, of which $70 was for free is still there though.

• @rds100 said:
    My $74.95 credit with DO, of which $70 was for free is still there though.

I have around 60$ and don't know what to do :P

• @trexos yeah i guess it's still a good deal for them. I paid $5 and i have used resources for only $0.05. So even if they give a lot of free credit, they still profit a lot from people like me.

• trexostrexos Member
    edited February 2014

@rds100 said:
    trexos yeah i guess it's still a good deal for them. I paid $5 and i have used resources for only $0.05. So even if they give a lot of free credit, they still profit a lot from people like me.

haha the same with me :P paid 5$ and used a instance for benchmark^^

WTF. I get 100 ms ping to their German DC. I'm located in Germany and normally it's 20 ms or so.

UK, NL and FR ~ 24

haha even New York has a faster response then germany :P