Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One 512MB or two 256MB?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

One 512MB or two 256MB?

vahevahe Member
edited March 2012 in General

I've got three options to configure the servers to run websites with MySQL, which one do you you think is the best option.
1) Two 256MB vps with the same sites and load balancing
2) Two 256MB vps with half of the sites on one server, the half on the other one
or
3) One 512MB with all the sites on it.
With no burstable ram, currently I have 4 websites running(with sql), using 120MB ram on a 256mb vps.

Which configuration do you think makes the most sense?

Comments

• @vahe said: Two 256MB vps with the same sites and load balancing

If you are enough pro xD

@vahe said: Two 256MB vps with half of the sites on one server, the half on the other one

You will lose the half of the sites :P Or even all the sites as the 512MB one if you get both boxes in the same datacenter/company if they have network/power outages.

• u4iau4ia Member

All in the same datacenter? Could offload mysql that way.

• IMHO one single 512 one, especially if you have no burst ram. Even with a small OS footprint/overhead 2 VPS will double the overhead used, hence 1x512MB should leave you with more memory than 2x256.

cheers -
    oz.

• 512 with "fair share" of a decent CPU(s) is the way to go....you said "load balancing" not redundancy.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited March 2012

Load balancing adds significant complexity. Ask yourself if your really need it.

Options 2 & 3 are essentially the choice between lateral growth (more servers) and vertical growth (bigger server).

More servers means more maintenance & more resource wastage, but less chance of complete catastrophe. Which raises the question of your backup/restore plan....

If you get two VPSs from the same provider, make sure they are on different host nodes.

Remember that all VPSs are not created equal :) A 256MB VPS from a quality provider might easily out-perform a 512MB VPS from an "overcrowding" provider.

I'd suggest the 512 for now, ensure it's good quality and you're getting the performance you should get, then consider your future growth model....

• Choose option 2. Load balancing need a bit expertise plus you need both vps in the same vlan.

• vahevahe Member

Thanks for the replies.

So the question is running everything on one large vps vs splitting to multiple small ones.

Should I upgrade with my current provider (EDIS.at) to 512mb or get another 256 at BuyVM? Edis has fast io and cpu, but no burst ram and a little slow network, I'm getting about 2MB/s down from cachefly. How does this compare to BuyVM? Would I be better off upgrading or getting a 256 with BuyVm?

• @vahe said: I'm getting about 2MB/s down from cachefly. How does this compare to BuyVM? Would I be better off upgrading or getting a 256 with BuyVm?

Where are the majority of your users from? NA, EU, Asia?

• vahevahe Member

NA

• vahevahe Member

I'm in the us datacentre with edis

• tuxtux Member

In Namibia?

• vahevahe Member

@tux said: In Namibia?

LOL
    North America

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@tux said: In Namibia?

Namibia, yes ... facepalm

• FYI (yes, yes a bit late) Namibia will likely be also available in not too distant future.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@William said: FYI (yes, yes a bit late) Namibia will likely be also available in not too distant future.

I can't tell if that's trolling or serious.

If you are serious, then you should consider Zambia, I have family there so I can peep at the DC when I go there next. :P

• 4x128mb?

• OMFG!!!

Even there is a datacenter in Mexico!!

http://www.sublimeip.com/services/colocation/global-data-center-network/mexico/mexico-city/

Come EDIS @William and colocate here xD

• Geeeze, Namibia?! Kenya?!
    Impossibru!

... They also got the United Kingdom messed up with their flags. Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom, yet doesn't bare the flag :<

• @Infinity said: I can't tell if that's trolling or serious.

No, certainly serious.
    The ISPs there are very cooperative with German speaking countries and offer pretty good prices (Telecom Namibia in special) since they have more and more incoming traffic and almost no outgoing which is the perfect climate for servers.
    Besides that Africa may not be very well connected the interconnection between the countries centers on South Africa which Telecom NA peers with all.
    Currently it's an early stage but Africa is on my Todo, and not too far down.
    (And no damn import taxes there :>)

@yomero said: Even there is a datacenter in Mexico!!

I have some quotes for Mexico (There are a LOT more than 1 DC), you would not like them - Thus outside of our focus.

@ElliotJ said: ... They also got the United Kingdom messed up with their flags. Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom, yet doesn't bare the flag :<

Isle of Man and the Channel Islands are UK also, along with the British Indian Ocean Territory (very creative name...) yet have other flags - UK flag is widely known so we only use this one ;-)

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited April 2012

@William
    I was referring to SublimeIP's website. Don't worry :')
    Also the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands are not part of the UK, they're crown dependencies. The BIOT is part of the British Overseas Territories.

Here's a video MADE for this post.

• Yea i remember watching that, way too fast :D
    While i consider my english to be pretty good i have a hard time understanding what the heck he says :)

Anyway, besides being British Overseas Citizen (and the EU trying to steal that from me every year again) i have not much knowledge about the mainland UK or anything outside former Asian colonys ;)
    (And i hate your accents violently... but that is another story...)

• @William said: There are a LOT more than 1 DC

Well, despite being here, I was unable to find one, or they have pretty bad SEO and/or my google fu didn't work lol.

I think is a good point since all the traffic to Mexico is routed vis USA. So, if you have good connectivity to USA, probably you will have the same to Mexico.

Also, some southamerican locations can be interesting :P

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited April 2012

@vahe said: Which configuration do you think makes the most sense?

Optimal performance is when you have enough memory to service your mysql usage requirements, so if mysql related usage needs more than 256MB for optimal performance, then a single 512MB VPS probably better.

If mysql memory usage requirements are alot less than 256MB, then load balancing 2x 256MB VPS for higher availability/performance would help IF VPS aren't on same server VPS node that is :)

I have 5x 256MB LEB VPS load balanced for a set of web sites via 4x haproxy load balancers (1 active and 3 in failover mode). Works fine for my needs so far.

my BuyVM speed tests from cachefly http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/43851#Comment_43851