Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi Dedi for 14.99 EUR!? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi Dedi for 14.99 EUR!?

Comments

• Online.net only allow French banks, which is still a bit iffy and against the law, but what can you do? its the French.

French companies don't like providing their site in English.

• @Daniel said: French companies don't like providing their site in English.

Racism!!! Waaaaaaa!
    Daniel VS France
    France vs World

LOL

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2012

@Daniel said: Online.net only allow French banks, which is still a bit iffy and against the law, but what can you do? its the French.

If you annoy them long enough, prefferably in French and citing EU laws/regulations (again in French) they will accept your order.
    They will also book from German bank accounts then or let you do a simple bank transfer (only in euro though).

• Nah, the French are alright (most of them).

Its been Britain vs France for centuries, but its mostly because Britain has pissed off every single country on this planet.

• How come there are no French people in this forum?

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited April 2012

@rds100 said: How come there are no French people in this forum?

Because its a English speaking site (with the odd bit of russian). French people prefer to stay to French websites despite the fact that most of them speak English and can understand most of the web.

• Yes but here there are also people from China, Finland, Denmark, Austria or many other countries where English is not the first language. Seems strange that i have seen no french here (or maybe there are, i just don't know).

• RophRoph Member

We're a bunch of commoners? :P

• pcanpcan Member

@littleguy said: Tell me more about the shortcomings? :)

On my (limited) experience, the main drawbacks of this kind of extreme low-end dedi are:
    1) very slow cpu and i/o, slower than the single/dual core you get with equally priced VPS.
    2) no good way to debug the boot process. If you misconfigure the operating system or something goes horribly wrong, you have to open a ticket, wait, and maybe be charged.
    3) low priority when you open a ticket. Most VPS issues are node related, and impact many users: the provider is likely to trubleshoot the problem ASAP. If your low-cost, low-margin unmanaged dedi does not work, the provider is unlikely to fix it in short time.

• @rds100 said: Yes but here there are also people from China, Finland, Denmark, Austria or many other countries where English is not the first language. Seems strange that i have seen no french here (or maybe there are, i just don't know).

As I said, French people like to retain to French sites, its embarrassing in France to know how to speak English, but they all do it anyway.

• That's funny, I never got that impression from any of my trips there.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited April 2012

@Aldryic said: That's funny, I never got that impression from any of my trips there.

Whenever I go France, and I say say "Do you speak English" because I speak no french, I always get the impression that they do, and they REALLY don't want to.

50% of all the signs/posters I see in France are in English. It annoys the French

Their president speaks fluent English, but will always use an interpreter when speaking to someone who speaks English but doesn't speak French.

• @Daniel, Indeed... French people are arrogant. They want you to speak there language when you are in there country. They don't worry if your tourist or not.

Back to topic: Online.net -> only if you got a french back account , and want to learn french to talk to support :-)

• debugdebug Member

@StableVDS said: and want to learn french to talk to support :-)

Or you can use Google Translate and hope that what you get is "somewhat" right...heh

• lbftlbft Member
    edited April 2012

@pcan said: no good way to debug the boot process. If you misconfigure the operating system or something goes horribly wrong, you have to open a ticket, wait, and maybe be charged.

Once nice thing about OVH is that they've got a system where your server netboots an image that boots your system inside a VM - so you get VNC for everything after the BIOS. You can also netboot a recovery image.

If your low-cost, low-margin unmanaged dedi does not work, the provider is unlikely to fix it in short time.

I buggered up a grub setting on my OVH box and had to use the above "vKVM" process to fix it. After the server was down for a few minutes (while I figured out how to use that system) their system automatically created an "intervention" ticket for a tech to fix it. I have no idea what the response times would be like on such a thing, I got it working too quick to find out (and the system automatically cancelled the ticket). Still, a pretty smooth process.

I would imagine you'd be up the creek without a paddle if you had a complex or intermittent issue (especially with the language barrier).

very slow cpu and i/o

Mine has an Atom D425 (1.8GHz single core + hyperthreading). If you had bursty CPU needs, then it'd definitely be slower than a good-quality VPS, but if you had consistent CPU use then you could do more than you could on most VPS providers (no LEB is going to let you eat half a core 24/7).

The I/O is pretty reasonable. You've got a SATA disk to yourself. Mine's a pretty fast 7200 RPM disk and it can push ~100 MB/s and I can rip as many IOPS as the drive can handle without bothering anyone. For bursty loads or particular usage patterns it might be better to be on a VPS backed by an appropriate RAID (again, as long as you're not hogging a shared resource too much).

@littleguy said: unlimited 100mbp

You get shaped down to 10mbps if you go over 5 TB of bandwidth in a month according to the non-French Kimsufi sites. There's a star on the word 'unlimited' and a note in the fine print. Most people wouldn't push that much data on a low-end server but if you maxed out the line you could theoretically do it in as little as 5 days. Still, if you were doing plain file serving I'm sure you could manage it. If you maxed out your line (pre- and post-limit) you'd be able to do ~7.8 TB total, versus ~32.9 TB uncapped.

I have to order from the French site (kimsufi.com/ovh.com) because I'm not covered by any of OVH's subsidiaries (which sucks because I don't speak a word of French, but at least their panel and support are available in English even if their billing system isn't). The panel/manager shows my server as "unlimited", but I don't know whether that means the 5TB limit doesn't apply (you could argue that the traffic is unlimited, just the speed isn't).

• lbftlbft Member

@Daniel said: It annoys the French

The French language is a point of pride for France, with a history of protection/conservatism/paranoia (e.g. the Académie française (thank you Wikipedia for knowing how to spell that)). French was once the language of international communication and yet today it's fading in that sphere. It's also coming under the influence of English through electronic media.

Having your language and influence dropping globally in favour of the language of a country you've got an ongoing rivalry with upsets some people. People also tend to get pissy about language change of any sort.

Still, given the amount of Old French injected into English during the Norman Conquest, I like to think of it as payback ;)

• debugdebug Member

@lbft said: I have to order from the French site (kimsufi.com/ovh.com) because I'm not covered by any of OVH's subsidiaries (which sucks because I don't speak a word of French, but at least their panel and support are available in English even if their billing system isn't). The panel/manager shows my server as "unlimited", but I don't know whether that means the 5TB limit doesn't apply (you could argue that the traffic is unlimited, just the speed isn't).

Where do you live? Just wondering

• lbftlbft Member

@debug said: Where do you live?

Australia.

• pcanpcan Member

@ibft: Tanks for sharing your positive experience on Kimsufi; i will maybe consider this solution in the future for a backup machine. 1TB storage at this price level is a good deal. My experience on OVH dedicated servers is limited to EG 2011; this series has a hardware KVM, but I never used it. I confirm that OVH has a good monitoring system that automatically opens tickets, but if a human intervention is needed, and you have not subscribed the "vip" support, answer time may be not very fast (even with a expensive EG).
    Regarding the French language, on my company I have no trouble interacting in english with people of all Europe (Denmark, Poland etc), but the Paris office communicate in French only. They don't answer to emails in english.

• @pcan said: Regarding the French language, on my company I have no trouble interacting in english with people of all Europe (Denmark, Poland etc), but the Paris office communicate in French only. They don't answer to emails in english.

What if they speak English?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@lbft said: French was once the language of international communication

And before that, Latin.
    What is French? Vulgar Latin.

Thanked by 1Roph
  • tuxtux Member

@lbft said: The I/O is pretty reasonable. You've got a SATA disk to yourself. Mine's a pretty fast 7200 RPM disk and it can push ~100 MB/s and I can rip as many IOPS as the drive can handle without bothering anyone.

Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164 gives 143 MB/s on their new BHS location.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Daniel said: They don't answer to emails in english.

Not true. No one is stopping you to contact UK, IE support phone numbers, the operators talk in English.

• JTRJTR Member
    edited April 2012

There are a few places like Kimsufi with extreme-low-end-low-budget dedis. Volumedrive has their $35 X2, and S4Y has a $30 X2 (with dual drives and 4GB of RAM O_o). There are also one or two other providers like this, if you do a in-depth search on WHT you can find them.

Edit: Sneaky bastards snuck a setup fee into S4Y.

• @tux

Yep, pushing 146 MB/s here with a single 7200 RPM 1 TB on a Kimsufi 2G Atom.

They are using the new single platter 1 TB Seagates. Oh and my drive ended up being brand new :)

• lumaluma Member

yeah Kimsufi rocks. I have 4 (one is free from the Alpha testing in Quebec)

They have a good network and good infrastructure. Sure support is not great but you so rarely need them since you can do just about anything yourself.

My first 2G was a Celeron 1.2Ghz, I figured it would suck but it turned out be great, VERY reliable.

Second server is a Atom 525 and the third is a brand new Atom N2800 I think it is.

The one in Canada is a Atom 425 with 4GB of ram and a 2TB drive instead of a 1TB.

No problems at all with any of them. Rock solid machines. They are budget but they work well and for the price it is hard to beat.

I find they out perform any of the Budget VPS' I have (no sharing of anything but network)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

~$25 month for 1TB disk and generous bandwidth is hard to beat, especially as a backup destination or repository where speed/ping isn't vital.

Do they take US customers? I suppose I should just email them.

• lumaluma Member

I think US customers can sign up at kimsufi.ie like us Canucks.

It comes out to about $19 CAD for me.

Also OVH--OVH bandwidth does not seem to count, as well as ovh <--> peers bandwidth. I am pretty I have done 10TB of bandwidth and yet it says I only did a few TB.

• JTRJTR Member

Yeah, they do US customers also, but if you like your privacy then don't bother, as they ask for just about everything they can (all normal details that you'd normally give to a host, then they ask for things such as ID, passport, mail, utility bill, proof of address, sms confirmation, etc).

Still, Kimsufi is hard to beat.

• nabonabo Member
    edited April 2012

@Daniel said: Whenever I go France, and I say say "Do you speak English" because I speak no french, I always get the impression that they do, and they REALLY don't want to.

So when I come to your country you start speaking my home-language? I doubt that. Why should those people speak your language? You're coming to their country. I guess the most arrogant -- language wise -- are people from English speaking countries. Most of them are not capable of speaking any other language (and can't even write in their own (eg. there/their/they're)) and then they even try to tell people to only speak in English even when they're abroad.

Thanked by 3yomero Aldryic marrco