Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help us test our "LowEndBox" servers - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help us test our "LowEndBox" servers

Comments

• dnomdnom Member

@quirkyquark said: How about some more test slots, this time for a small fee, say 1 "testing" month at 50% off or 75% off, etc.?

+1
    This way you will also be sure that the testers will actually use them for the month, not just test and leave idle for the rest of the month.
    On second thought lots people here buy VPS's that they don't need and probably will never use :D

• DamianDamian Member
    edited April 2012

@quirkyquark said: I assume it's because hardware controllers coupled with the decent number of drives needed is expensive and it's cheaper/faster to roll a 2/4-disk SW raid setup?

While it's outright cheaper $$$ to skip hardware raid, I've found that the $400 to $700 expense for a proper hardware RAID card is well worth the added value. Don't even need to use SAS drives; enterprise SATA is fine, unless you're trying to create impressive numbers for some reason.

@EricCubixCloud: If you guys are in this for the long haul, I would recommend upgrading to at least a basic hardware RAID of some sort. It will pay off in the long run.

• @quirkyquark said: How about some more test slots, this time for a small fee, say 1 "testing" month

Not a bad idea, thanks! I have been still getting e-mails even though I said I've had to cut off the test servers (for new applicants). The reason for not making users pay is because we're still working out the bugs. After some updates we're doing today, maybe we can consider the servers "ready for business" ;)

@quirkyquark said: is expensive and it's cheaper/faster to roll a 2/4-disk SW raid setup?

I think you're correct. I've never looked into all the details but I'm not sure you would see as many LowEnd 512-1024mb servers (with plenty hard disk) anymore. As I've said above: Average I/O is normally around 65Mb/s (from what I've seen with other providers). There are providers who use Hardware RAID cards with high caches. Then, the I/O file they are writing stays in the cache and it shows an I/O speed of nearly 200MB/s or whatever it may be. However, it does not really effect actual performance.

• @Damian said: I would recommend upgrading to at least a basic hardware RAID of some sort.

Thanks for the suggestion! We will consider hardware RAID for our near-future servers :)

• @dnom said: This way you will also be sure that the testers will actually use them for the month, not just test and leave idle for the rest of the month.

Good point. I was just going to terminate the server after a few days.

I may offer this to anyone who has e-mailed me (still is emailing) since the cut off time yesterday. 50% off for a month.

Unofficial pricing:
    I'll offer 512MB to these test users for $3.95.
    512MB RAM
    30GB Disk
    500GB Bandwidth
    Linux
    OpenVZ + SolusVM
    1000Mbps Network

E-mail [email protected] if you're still interested.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@Damian said: I would recommend upgrading to at least a basic hardware RAID of some sort. It will pay off in the long run

+1, even if md is good for raid1 or raid10, offloading the hard work to the hardware is a good thing :)

• Five 512mb test servers available here for $3.98/month

http://clients.cubixcloud.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=80

Please let me know if you have any further concerns. We're taking all suggestions and information into consideration. Big thanks to the LET community :)

• JacobJacob Member

I think you need a new Website Design, It's not the nicest of templates out there.

Just sharing my suggestions and opinions.

• @Jacob said: Just sharing my suggestions and opinions.

"EaseVPS.com" Website isnt fantasic either.

Just sharing my Opinion......

• DamianDamian Member
    edited April 2012

The low-end market is a niche and quite focused. Most people who are in the market for an low-end VPS already know what they're looking for.

Therefore, website appearance may not be that big of an attraction to most low-end customers. I think Hostigation and that one place that begins with a P, take this to an "extreme" with their simple and/or boring or otherwise unflashy websites, and seem to do well.

Thanked by 1EricCubixCloud
  • edited April 2012

@Jacob said: I think you need a new Website Design,

I think I have already stated we're working on a new website :) It's in the works and will be released with the new VPS.

• Tinyvz has the most simple design.

• @DotVPS said: Have you seen the design easevps uses before?

Sorry, are you asking me? I have seen it just recently. It's very... green. :)

CubixCloud is working on a new site that takes things to a very simplistic level. I love the point @Damian brings up! Lets focus on website content and service quality rather then the website design. As long as it's all there and the colours aren't extremely distracting, etc, it's all good. I appreciate all well done designs too :)

Here is an example: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6514943/Screenshots/6cm0qh1_rz44.png

• TaylorTaylor Member
    edited April 2012

@EricCubixCloud said: Here is an example: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6514943/Screenshots/6cm0qh1_rz44.png

Multicraft on the top right O_O

• @Taylor said: Multicraft on the time right O_O

I'm sorry? I don't understand your grammar. This image was meant to be an example of the website I am building. Lets consider current page contents (which happens to be about Multicraft) inaccurate.

• @EricCubixCloud said: Lets focus on .... service quality rather then the website design.

Exactly. Hence why I will freely admit that our website is somewhat crappy: I spend more of my time tuning things and providing support than making the website shiny.

• @Damian said: tuning things and providing support than making the website shiny.

This is great! Unless you're trying to attract the "non-techs" or "non- web hosting gurus" hahah. I do like your website at IPXcore, I must admit :) It's more then "good enough" :)

• Website? prgmr.com is the best :)

Thanked by 1tommy
  • @rds100 said: prgmr.com

There you go! That's the "one that begins with a P" that I was referencing earlier.

I don't know what kind of client base that company has, but they've been around forever with their simple pictureless website, so I'm guessing they're not doing poorly...

• And the website also looks nice in lynx. Their prices don't seem too unreasonable either, except for the too little bandwidth. But it is probably good for some uses.

• @rds100 said: prgmr.com

Haha. I'd like to see their reviews and client base :) I wonder.. when was this site built?

• flyfly Member

prgmr is pretty hard core.

• On the topic of websites, the one thing that throws me off is the little live chat things at the bottom, it's like everyone uses the same exact design.

@DotVPS's website is nice, a bit slow to load initially for me. Any reason to have every page SSL? I imagine there's a lot of overhead there.

Oh and @EricCubixCloud I like the new design.

• Not to nag, but... system times are still about 8 off the actual time in Chicago.

If you don't have the time to set up NTP on the host right now, you can do a one-shot correction with ntpdate.

date

Thu Apr 5 07:32:38 CDT 2012

ntpdate -q 0.us.pool.ntp.org

server 70.86.250.6, stratum 2, offset 28737.023940, delay 0.05881
    server 64.113.32.9, stratum 2, offset 28737.026548, delay 0.03510
    server 38.229.71.1, stratum 2, offset 28737.028181, delay 0.02856
    5 Apr 07:32:41 ntpdate[705]: step time server 38.229.71.1 offset 28737.028181 sec

• @Kairus said: On the topic of websites, the one thing that throws me off is the little live chat things at the bottom, it's like everyone uses the same exact design.

Typically we do, since the design is dictated by the live chat provider; we don't have control over the template.

I'd like to find a viable and robust live chat system that I can host myself, but there are none.

• @rds100 said: Website? prgmr.com is the best :)

Bitcable.com gets my vote. Elegant and one page ;)

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@sleddog said: Bitcable.com gets my vote. Elegant and one page ;)

+1 it's simple and to the point.

• @DotVPS said: Should i take the SSL off then and have it optional?

You should leave it on for WHMCS and Solus, but on your main pages you don't need it, it's just going to cause more load on your server.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited April 2012

@sleddog i dislike the iframe on top, but yes, it is nice and simple.

edit: when i view it with chrome it is much better. With iceweasel the top iframe is not very nice.

• edited April 2012

@Kairus said: Oh and @EricCubixCloud I like the new design.

Thanks! Going for simplicity to focus on the content and bringing high quality services :)

@swsnyder said: system times are still about 8 off the actual time in Chicago.

Hello. Yes, someone notified us of this by e-mail. We have a list of small updates to do such as this. The task list should be complete by tomorrow. :)

@Kairus said: little live chat things at the bottom

@Damian said: I'd like to find a viable and robust live chat system that I can host myself, but there are none.

You may be happy to know, the CubixCloud team is working on a fully custom chat system built from scratch. (Just for fun really :) - also, there are no great apps available for Mac as LiveZilla and others have great Windows programs)