Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Wireless connection bridging over OpenVPN?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wireless connection bridging over OpenVPN?

VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep
edited April 2012 in General

Hey guys.. No idea if this is possible or not, so thought I'd ask here, as you guys are more likely to know than I am!

Basically, what I want to achieve is this:

Connecting one device to the same OpenVPN client that's running on my desktop machine, wirelessly (ethernet is too much hassle for me in this case).

Does anybody know if this is possible, and if so, how?

I already have my PC setup as a client with OpenVPN, and this is running on Windows 7.

Cheers

Comments

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited April 2012

LEt's see.

I have a home server, which I connect as a client to one of my VPNs in a VPS.

This server is connected to a home router, and does NAT, dhcp, etc. Then I connect my desktop machine to that router, the laptop, phone, etc.

I guess is that what you want. But my server uses Linux, no idea how to share the connection in Windows =)

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

That would be ideal, but is that actually possible? As in, is it possible to send all traffic for my router through a vpn?

The goal here is for me to connect my Xbox 360 to the internet wirelessly for online play through a vpn, rather than my home ip.

No idea if that helps :P, but any advice is appreciated :)

• Yes I do it like that. The videogames too.

But from a Linux machine and with the help of my router (as an alternative you need to configure a wireless card as master or ad-hoc in that box)

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

Ahhh that's amazing.. Does your linux machine need to be connected to the router through Ethernet? Or can it be done wirelessly? And I assume any standard router will be fine :)?

if at all possible, could you send me a thorough kind of guide in a PM as to how I would set all of this up? I already have a working linux partition on my machine, so this wouldn't be a problem :), it's Ubuntu 10.04 :)

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited April 2012

Yes, can be done in any way

And no, No PM

Let's see. You have a router, and the Linux machine.

First, learn to connect the Linux as a VPN client and be able to route the traffic via that VPN. Tutorials for that are a lot around. Let's assume your external interface eth1

Second, enter to your router (or can be a switch and this step isn't needed) and disable the DHCP (probably can be done with DHCP but I prefer this way).

Let's suppose we want to have an internal network 192.168.1.*
    Your internal interface will have one of these IP, assigned manually, let's say 192.168.1.1. Let's call it eth0 (maybe is wlan0, or ath0, etc)

Connect that interface via Ethernet or wirelessly (iwconfig) to the router.
    Configure the IP address at hand (ifconfig, or /etc/network/interfaces whatever you want).

Do the NAT stuff

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.1.0/24 -j MASQUERADE

Connect your devices to your router and assign IP addresses at hand.

IP: Can be 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.2.254
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0

Note: Be sure that the internal network and the external one (the real, AND the VPN) are not overlapping the range, or you will have problems. If is the case, move to another network.

Lots of steps skipped, google :P

After all this you can configure your own DHCP server