Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVZ Templates
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVZ Templates

Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
edited April 2012 in General

We are in the process of building a new batch of OpenVZ templates, i was just wondering what kind of application stacks etc users would like to see?

Any ideas are appreciated :D

Comments

• CentOS - DNS Server
    CentOS - Squid Proxy server

Would be great if u had those

• DNS sure, I can see a template for that. But why waste and ISO on squid? That's a 20 second install and a 2 minute configuration <_<

• It's not like installing DNS would take more than a minute too (unless it's cPanel DNSOnly).

• @rds100 said: It's not like installing DNS would take more than a minute too (unless it's cPanel DNSOnly).

For some, but we have to think about less experienced people too, they like a one click solution (Not to mention the support tickets it saves)

• @rds100 said: It's not like installing DNS would take more than a minute too (unless it's cPanel DNSOnly).

True enough. I just don't mess with DNS enough to have the proper experience to comment :3

• Will cPanel DNS Only even install on a 128MB VPS?

I know it will run if installed from a template, but never tried to install it.

• Yes but you have to be responsible and keep your templates updated. And when you have tons of templates it takes a lot of time to regulary update and recreate them.
    Sometimes a nice Knowledgebase / Wiki / Whatever article about "how to install DNS" can be much better.

• @Legendlink nah, 128MB is not enough to install it. It downloads and compiles a lot of stuff.

• MikyMiky Member

Clean/minimal debian or whatever distribution....
    1> because it's much easier then to properly install whatever stack you want,
    2> because a clean environment is the best way to learn :-)

• I did however get it to install on a 192/384MB VPS, too bad it's 123Systems.

• AsimAsim Member

@Legendlink said: Will cPanel DNS Only even install on a 128MB VPS?

Yes

I have cPanel-DNSonly installed on the following VPSes

• VooServers 128MB XEN PV
    • Quickweb 128MB XEN PV (soon to be replaced with SecureDragon 128MB XEN PV)
    • Hostigation 128MB KVM (I did had a small issue installing the CentOS 6.0 onto the box which @mitgiB helped me fix)
    • TheHostHouse 128MB XEN HVM
  • AsimAsim Member

@rds100 said: @Legendlink nah, 128MB is not enough to install it. It downloads and compiles a lot of stuff.

I disagree from my personal experience shared above, yes it may take a few more minutes then 256MB but it does install. Am hosting around 4000 zones on this 4-VPS-cluster

• @Asim ok, correction - 128MB OpenVZ is not enough to install cPanel DNS-only. Xen/KVM is different (because it can use swap) and you can install cPanel DNS-only there.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • @rds100 said: 128MB OpenVZ is not enough to install cPanel DNS-only.

Correct. Though due to OVZ's nature, if you ask a provider nicely they usually won't have a problem with giving you a temporary RAM boost to get the install done. You can then just drop the RAM back down and run the VM as normal.

• Debian + Minecraft is a good template.

• My criteria for cpanel DNS only are OpenVZ nodes with 128mb of ram; they're all working fine for me...

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I once installed dns-only on a 15/year vps from buyvm.
    didnt even ask for a ram boost.

so its possible

Thanked by 1Asim
  • Debian/any distro + openpanel,
    Debian/any distro + Froxlor
    Webmin default install maybe..

And +1 for the minecraft, but please also add buckit then...

• @Asim said: yes it may take a few more minutes then 256MB but it does install. Am hosting around 4000 zones on this 4-VPS-cluster

wow, it must be highly modified by you. Here is a 512MB kvm from my cpanel-dnsonly cluster

root@ns1 [~]# free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           490        476         14          0         67        155
    -/+ buffers/cache:        252        238
    Swap:         2046         23       2023
    root@ns1 [~]# ls -alh /var/named/*.db | wc -l

• pcanpcan Member

Don't forget Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, it is almost here.

Ubuntu with the iScsi kernel module already integrated will be a definite plus on OpenVZ (on KVM I use this command: sudo aptitude install iscsitarget iscsitarget-source iscsitarget-dkms ). Also application stacks for storage and file exchange, for example Openfiler (both latest and previous release; the latest Openfiler release does not work with less than 256Mb RAM).

• @camarg: Are you running cphulk and mysql and sendmail and xinetd and all that blubber?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

check the turnkeylinux templates :)

They recently rebased them on 11.04 or whatever the latest LTS is.

Francisco

• @Damian said: Are you running cphulk and mysql and sendmail and xinetd and all that blubber?

it's a default installation. no need to do savings on ram

• @camarg said: wow, it must be highly modified by you. Here is a 512MB kvm from my cpanel-dnsonly cluster

• +1 for turnkey also.