Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick, easy SOCKS proxy shortcuts
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Quick, easy SOCKS proxy shortcuts

u4iau4ia Member
edited April 2012 in Tutorials

I noticed in another thread someone pointed to a tutorial for using ssh tunneling with Firefox, so I thought I would share my method for Chrome.

I have 2 shortcuts on my desktop, both for Chrome. The first is normal, but the target in the other is:
C:\Users\u4ia\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe --proxy-server="socks5://localhost:1080"

Just use putty or however you ssh into your server (I personally use cygwin) with
ssh -D 1080 [email protected]
and launch the Chrome proxy shortcut.

I'm sure most everyone knows how to tunnel, but the shortcuts on the desktop might be handy :)

Thanked by 1seikan

Comments

• vldvld Member

With opera you can just press F12 > Enable proxy servers. Easy as pie

• lumaluma Member

Firefox with Foxyproxy, easy to click button that allows me to select proxy or even setup rules depending on website, that way I can have certain sites use US proxy while other sites use UK Proxy etc

Works great!

• And in Chrome I use Proxy Switchy, is very cool.

• I just have a shell script with the SSH details.

Also, since Linux/Mac allows you to apply SOCKS proxy's system wide, I just go into it and activate it with one click so everything uses it.

I heard Cgywin is awful, should be. Running UNIX on DOS seems pointless, and sorta ruins the advantages of Linux/Unix (e.g. Security, Stability, Performance)

• Firefox+MM3
    easy, slick and changeable with a click on the toolbar

• @Daniel said: I heard Cgywin is awful, should be. Running UNIX on DOS seems pointless, and sorta ruins the advantages of Linux/Unix (e.g. Security, Stability, Performance)

But Windows isn't DOS :P.

• @Kairus said: But Windows isn't DOS :P.

Its the next worse thing, and based upon it.

• u4iau4ia Member

@Daniel said: I heard Cgywin is awful

Of course, it runs under Windows :) But if you need to be in a Windows OS, it works. I initially installed it to use git, but there are a lot of other tools you can install also, like vim and nano.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

thank you, I needed that!!

• Use Putty as SOCKS proxy with WideCap to proxify all your traffic.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • Or you can use proxifier (windows) to proxify all your traffic using socks/https even http

• @Daniel said: Its the next worse thing, and based upon it.

Not anymore since 7.

@proteus said: Use Putty as SOCKS proxy with WideCap to proxify all your traffic.

Is wideCap working on 7?

• proteusproteus Member
    edited April 2012

@netomx I am using it on Windows 8 :) The program filter does not work but proxying works without major issues. Start PuTTY before Widecap else it would try to route your PuTTY connection through itself.

• Interesting software that widecap o_O!

So, it tunnels ALL the traffic via socks? Or just the TCP

• proteusproteus Member
    edited April 2012

@yomero It is a fork of FreeCap. Read more about it here http://www.freecap.ru/eng/?p=faq And more FAQ http://widecap.ru/en/faq

Thanked by 1yomero

All of them

• I simply use Tunnelier to open a SSH tunnel and connect it to a local port on startup on all my VM's(Made a small script) and then i simply have my proxy switchy to shuffle em in the browser.

• With firefox, go to about:config and change

network.proxy.socks_remote_dns;flase
    to
    network.proxy.socks_remote_dns;true

That will stop DNS leaks when your using an SSH tunnel