Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cost Calculator for hosting platforms
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cost Calculator for hosting platforms

I'm thinking about creating a cost calculator for hosting platforms, and adding it here as a tutorial. Is there something similar already out there?

I want to compare costs:

1) running costs for different locations - particularly US v UK v EU

2) running costs for different DCs (within one location/country)

3) running costs per server

• compare new high spec server Vs cheap 2nd hand server (like ebay)

• new servers use less power, but are expensive to buy
    • SAS v SATA v SSD

good idea? bad idea? waste of time?

I'm thinking that a LEB provider needs to get all these answers correct, otherwise they wont make a profit.

Comments

• Waste of time, way too many parameters to get an accurate result

• Zen said: Bad idea, waste of time, and even if it works it'll just make the market worst.

If a supposed provider cannot navigate their business decisions without some god damn auto-pilot calculator then they should not be in business.

This.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I don't know if I agree that it's a bad idea but...it definitely would be a headache.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Alot of parameters to consider and will be a headache if you haven't got a specific goal in mind.

• I don't think this is a bad idea, might help people spot an oversold resource ?

• @Bruce said:
    1) running costs for different locations - particularly US v UK v EU

UK is in inside EU.

• If you can do this. And then I mean really do this good.
    You should create this and sell it on subscription base.

• @Zen said:
    Bad idea, waste of time, and even if it works it'll just make the market worst.

If a supposed provider cannot navigate their business decisions without some god damn auto-pilot calculator then they should not be in business.

how many providers make offers that are either massively oversold or commercially inviable?

maybe a calculator would be a good bullshit detector. but I agree its probably too hard

• Offers are lead generators. Basing a calculation of whether someone is commercially viable on a sale price is a little bit silly don't you think?