Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CheckMyServers.com - Beta Testers Needed!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CheckMyServers.com - Beta Testers Needed!

NickMNickM Member
edited April 2012 in Offers

I think we can all agree that it's important to monitor your servers. Many people rely on self-hosted monitoring services like Nagios, Munin, or my very own monitoring system, OpenStatus. The problem with these is that they can be a pain to set up, and they require you to have yet another server or VPS. And if that server goes down, you're out of luck for monitoring until you fix it. An additional server requires time to set up and maintain.

Armed with the knowledge I gained developing OpenStatus, I've created CheckMyServers.com, a hosted server monitoring solution. Unlike other monitoring solutions that only check if your server is up, CheckMyServers monitors the vital signs of your servers - RAM usage, CPU usage, disk usage, and more. By taking a proactive approach, CheckMyServers helps you to prevent your servers from going down in the first place by notifying you immediately if there's a problem.

How does it work?

Each of your servers runs a small application that gathers vital statistics (RAM usage, load average, disk usage, network usage) and sends it to our servers every minute. Our servers compare that information to thresholds you set for each statistic, and if too much of a resource is being used, we send you an alert by email, SMS, or however else you'd like. And if our servers don't hear from your server within 2 minutes, our servers start trying to figure out why. We ping your server from multiple locations to see if there's a routing problem and to make sure that your server is actually down before sending you an alert.

So, as I mentioned in the thread title, I'm currently looking for beta testers for this service - 10 to be exact. For the first 10 people who'd like to try this service and provide feedback, I'm offering monitoring of up to 10 servers, absolutely FREE, for life! Simply visit CheckMyServers.com and sign up for the Business package, using promo code LEBBETA. Please note that as of right now, not all features of the service are completely implemented, but the basic features (monitoring, and email alerts) are functional, and I'm working hard on implementing everything else.

Also, please note that the pricing listed on the website is not yet finalized, and will almost definitely change based on feedback from the LEB/LET community. In fact, I'd love to hear your suggestions about pricing.

Thanked by 1seikan

Comments

• Just signed up, but it's not letting me add my server, it's telling me that I ran out of checks.

• NickMNickM Member

@lele0108, sorry about that, WHMCS is probably being derpy (or I did something wrong, I'm new to working with WHMCS). I've corrected your account

• Is the app open source? If not, there's no way I would install it on a production server (no offense). Sysstat/vnstat does the exact same thing, minus the alerting of a third party... but that's what Pingdom is for. I'm just trying to figure out what people are paying for exactly... is it the ability to have an offsite server notify you?

• @NickM said: I've corrected your account

Thanks, I'll check it out tomorrow, it certainly looks cool.

• Signed up, will test it out tomorrow.

• can i use it for AMD processor? :P

nice job @NickM , will test it later. bookmark already, waiting for promo code now.. :D

• Just signed up. Going to test it now.

• NickMNickM Member

@subigo said: Is the app open source?

The client software is indeed open-source. It's written in python.

@subigo said: Sysstat/vnstat does the exact same thing, minus the alerting of a third party... but that's what Pingdom is for.

I suppose you could say that CheckMyServers is a competitor to Pingdom, providing more of an all-in-one solution.

• Too bad, I can't add any server. I got following message:

It looks like you've reached the server limit for your account type. To monitor more servers, you must upgrade your account or purchase a single server add-on.

• AdamAdam Member

Signed up, although in the "Add Server" tab, it just tells me to upgrade my account.

Some other observations:
    Settings = File not found.
    Footer (Comprehensive server...) is all over the place instead of a fixed position

• JTRJTR Member

Signed up, I'll try it out tomorrow.

• NickMNickM Member

@seikan, @Adam: Sorry about that. As I said... new to WHMCS, and something with the provisioning is derped. I'll be provisioning the services manually until I get that worked out. I've set your accounts up.

Thanked by 1Adam
  • @NickM Thanks

• Fix mine too :)

• NickMNickM Member

@seraphkz, everyone's account should be working properly now.

• SrvisLLCSrvisLLC Member
    edited April 2012

Fix mine too

nvm you just posted lol

• quirkyquarkquirkyquark Member
    edited April 2012

Preliminary notes:

• Maybe use AJAX (or even a simple javascript) to check if fields in add-server are appropriate instead of serving up a blank form with the error? I mistakenly put in % for disk, although going back brought up the filled-in page, which I corrected.
    • I get "Last update: never" and no uptime/load/ram stats after starting cms-client, although the list of interfaces and processes shows up and is updating perfectly.

• Edit Huh...the graphs are spot on though, so the raw info is getting through.
    • Trying to see if there is a switch to force an update, I get this for --help:

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "./cms-client", line 8, in 
        usage()
    NameError: name 'usage' is not defined

• NickMNickM Member

@quirkyquark: I think I've gotten the uptime/load/ram stats fixed up. I'll add a --help option (though there won't be much to it... the only option is -d / --debug which dumps everything to the console). You're right, the submitted form shouldn't be blanked if there's an error with one of the fields. I'll look into getting that taken care of. Thanks for the feedback.

• quirkyquarkquirkyquark Member
    edited April 2012

@NickM said: I think I've gotten the uptime/load/ram stats fixed up.

Works great now. Two more notes:

• The RX/TX on the interfaces (well, venet0) seems to only be per-update-period, not the aggregate displayed by ifconfig.
    • For OpenVZs using vswap instead of burst, it would be nice to have a separate option -- I don't know if the client is counting vswap as burst though.
  • fanfan Veteran

Out of stock?

• Too late :( would love to test this!

• dnomdnom Member
    edited April 2012

Won't work on python 2.4 (CentOS5 default), It says: "No module named ssl." Changed shebang to use python 2.6 and it's all good
    edit:
    http://www.checkmyservers.com/settings = File not found.

• NickMNickM Member

@quirkyquark: The RX/TX is intended to be a snapshot of what's currently being utilized at each update, not an aggregrate. vswap is not being counted at all currently, though I probably should add it (and regular swap) to the monitoring.

@fan, check your PMs

• NickMNickM Member

@dnom, thanks for the report. I wasn't aware that python 2.4 doesn't have SSL support by default. I'll make sure to add a note about that to the documentation.

• Just to inform you, just got it installed on my ubuntu 11.10 x64 htpc (homeserver) with its default python (2.7.2) without me manually installing anything, and it works great!

• JacobJacob Member
    edited April 2012

Eh, Why pay for something when we have the exact same for free! easestatus.com

It's not my work I just modified it to my needs, I found it on hotscripts.

Edit: I like the resource monitoring Idea.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Meh, out of stock, I've only just woken up. I guess I missed my chance right?

• @Infinity said: Meh, out of stock, I've only just woken up. I guess I missed my chance right?

Same here :(

No worries. Good luck with the startup though.
    If you're looking at what your potential competitors are offering, check out newrelic.com - I did get my free T-Shirt.

• @NickM if you need a hand with WHMCS feel free to throw me a line. I've been loving the hell out of OpenStatus; I'd be more than happy to lend a hand with something in return :P

• seraphkzseraphkz Member
    edited April 2012

Noticed a bug.

When I set up a NEW server the first time, if I choose an existing contact, it gives an error of "contact does not exist"

However, after I set up a new server without a contact, then proceed to EDIT the server, and add the contact, everything's fine.

Oh and, adding a graph that logs network usage would be nice :D