Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndMonitor
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndMonitor

lemlem Member
edited April 2012 in General

Last week @Boltersdriveer mentioned that a user should turn their dedicated server into a "LowEndServers Monitoring Project. lolololol."

This had me thinking. I was already in the process of developing a simple server monitoring system for web hosting companies (which is 80% complete), so I thought I would deploy a alpha version as LowEndMonitor (LowEndMonitor.com) to monitor the uptime of each provider's primary website. Although it may not tell you the reliability of the provider's services, you can monitor their primary website and watch for those who approach the deadpool. (Aka, their website goes offline for a long period of time.) The monitor checks the websites every five minutes, but this can be adjusted to any measure.

Comments

• I like the idea.

@lem said: to monitor the uptime of each provider's primary website.

What about allowing hosts to provide you with an address to monitor?

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2012

Wow, you literally have 5 accounts here. Aside from that it's will be a good project provided the serveris up 100% of the time, which I'm doubtful of.

• lemlem Member
    edited April 2012

@Damian I would be up for that. I'm also open to removals if requested.

@Infinity? Five accounts, like on LET? I have a second, more long term account, but I'm on a college computer at the moment which may explain that. We use a single IP for all outbound traffic.

edited April 2012

@lem said: @Infinity? Five accounts, like on LET? I'm on a college computer at the moment...

Ah, I see. Your college has 5 people signed up to LET :)

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2012

You have a SPOF in your project :)

you need to use several probes and match results to be more credible... In essence you need to be more reliable than any provider.

• lemlem Member
    edited April 2012

@Infinity I would hope so. I did announce LEB/LET at a ACM Chapter meeting a while back. :-)

@prometeus I understand. This is still a alpha version thought. Much room for improvement. I have a idea to remove the SPOF....I might implement it tonight.

• I like the idea, but I believe this would require some whitelisting of ips. You show that we had downtime, and that is not the case.

• lemlem Member

@speckl I noticed that several of those monitored had downtime from exactly 2:35AM to 3:00AM this morning and I'm investigating the logs.

• @speckl @lem that's why you have to have redundant monitors that watch from hopefully different backbone providers. I use monitis and monitor my servers from3 stateside locations and one European location. It won't send me an alert unless all 4 fail a check. Got tired of the single monitors pinging me in the middle of the night for a non issue.

• laaevlaaev Member

Awesome idea, good job!

• @lem said: I have a second, more long term account

Why not simply use this account?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

BTW, what does your monitoring software provide that others don't? Just curious.

@raindog308 said: BTW, what does your monitoring software provide that others don't? Just curious.

Lots of low end providers and their uptime in one place?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

No, I mean he's developing a monitoring sw package. Why? What's unique about the monitoring software?

I get the LEM idea...was asking about what's under the hood.

• Not to poop on your parade but http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpwatch/?_test=b is what I use and I run it on a LEB.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@lem said: Last week @Boltersdriveer mentioned that a user should turn their dedicated server into a "LowEndServers Monitoring Project. lolololol."

This was supposed to be setup on the old 4vps.com domain but the guy never delivered on it and disappeared. :P

Francisco

• lemlem Member
    edited April 2012

@raindog308 I just wanted simple and clean system, similar to Google's old status page. At first the "application" was designed to manually update the status, similar to Google's. Then I added in the server uptime check function. Next is multiple monitoring hosts, email/text notifications, etc. phpWatch is a great application, but it does not have a public frontend.

The current version is not perfect, but then thats why its in alpha. I wanted to share it to get some feedback.

• @prometeus said: You have a SPOF in your project :)

you need to use several probes and match results to be more credible... In essence you need to be more reliable than any provider.

If it's gonna be a simple monitor then SPOF doesn't matter. It's an app that resides on one server. If that server is down then the app isn't operational or reachable. What it (the app) should do (IMO) is always check/recheck that it's own connectivity is OK, before recording a target system as 'down'.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Infinity said: Ah, I see. Your college has 5 people signed up to LET :)

not cool if you can see our IPs

• Sounds interesting :) . Looking forward to its release.

• @netomx said: not cool if you can see our IPs

If you have a problem with forum moderators being able to see IPs, don't register on any forum.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @netomx said: not cool if you can see our IPs

Vanilla has this function by default.
    I see all of my users IP on my Vanilla Forums.

• flyfly Member

@netomx lol wow.

Thanked by 1dnom
  • prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@sleddog said: If it's gonna be a simple monitor then SPOF doesn't matter. It's an app that resides on one server

it's not the server "in se" the spof, but the point of view. The server may be operational but network issue (inside the provider or with some upstream) can make your app "think" there are problems at the other end while in effect they are in the middle. If you can compare 3 carefully positioned probes, then you have a more accurate result.

• Probably it would be a good idea to have a 3 server setup, with 2 monitoring servers and one front-end server. Only when the monitoring servers both report a website as down the frontend server should display it as down.

• @dmmcintyre3 said: If you have a problem with forum moderators being able to see IPs, don't register on any forum.

Or use a VPN.

@dmmcintyre3 said: If you have a problem with forum moderators being able to see IPs, don't register on any forum.

That's not the thing that I'm saying, he's not the owner, just a moderator, not even staff. that's why.

• Being a moderator appointed by Chief doesn't count as staff?

Thanked by 1Infinity
    edited April 2012

@netomx said: That's not the thing that I'm saying, he's not the owner, just a moderator, not even staff. that's why.

Same thing should be said to the other moderators in that case. Same with most other forums too..

@Aldryic said: Being a moderator appointed by Chief doesn't count as staff?

Just what I was about to say.

@Infinity said: @netomx said: That's not the thing that I'm saying, he's not the owner, just a moderator, not even staff. that's why.

Same thing should be said to the other moderators in that case. Same with most other forums too..

I answer your PM, I hope you can understand it, though.

@Aldryic said: Being a moderator appointed by Chief doesn't count as staff?

Just what I was about to say.

Sorry to not backup this idea. The only ones that I can trust, it is the "partners", not the forum moderator, I don't know if I explain it alright. But we have PM and I hope he can get my idea.