Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Cpanel For Dedicated Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need Cpanel For Dedicated Server

Required An Cpanel Licence
suggest The Best Place To buy Licence
amount 25-35$

Comments

• Licensepal and Buycpanel.

• Or you could install either OpenVZ or KVM/libvirtd and use a VPS license (while having no limitations, in the case of OpenVZ.)

cPanel's licensing is nonsensical.

• Better to get a vps licence and set openvz to have access to all the servers resources. That way you can get a cheap licence, with the added bonus of being able to backup the whole OS.

• I can recommend BuycPanel.com too, they're great.

Thanked by 1BuyCPanel_Alex
  • PatrickPatrick Member
    edited February 2014

BuycPanel will be the best price unless your DC can offer it cheaper.

I think "whtbcp30" is still active to get the license for $30.95 with some add ons like (WHMXtra) free.

Thanked by 1BuyCPanel_Alex
  • ErnieErnie Patron Provider, Veteran

Which data center do you use? Many data centers offer internal pricing on cPanel licenses.

• From what I understood attempting to bypass the dedicated license for a single VM as dedicated is against the terms, they may also be able to figure it out depending on the setups. But I have never tried it though so who knows.

• Licensepal, or go with Tim at Hostigation

• edited February 2014

@HC_Ro said:
    From what I understood attempting to bypass the dedicated license for a single VM as dedicated is against the terms, they may also be able to figure it out depending on the setups. But I have never tried it though so who knows.

This is absolutely correct!

• @INIZ said:
    BuycPanel will be the best price unless your DC can offer it cheaper.

I think "whtbcp30" is still active to get the license for $30.95 with some add ons like (WHMXtra) free.

And yes, this is accurate, here's a link to the ad on WHT.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1086193

• +1 for buycpanel...! recommended provider!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@BuyCPanel_Kevin said:
    This is absolutely correct!

Proof?

I ask because I think you're wrong.

Whenever I've asked/researched, I've not been able to find any proof that it violates the terms of the cPanel license to stand up a single VM and put cPanel on it.

I've read the cPanel legal agreement (http://cpanel.net/legal/noc.html) and virtualization is only mentioned in sections 1.6, 1.20, and 2.6. All it says about virtualization is that it defines the term, cPanel has the right to include data on virtualization in its reporting back to cPanel, and if you have more than one VPS, you need more than one license.

Section 1.20: "Virtual Private Server" means a virtual server operating on a single physical server upon which multiple virtual servers may operate.

Emphasis mine. Before you think I'm being too legalistic...well, this is a legal document, and cPanel can certainly afford good lawyers to write these things. But if you think about it, suppose I had a dedicated server with 4 VPSes and only 1 was licensed for cPanel - that's what 1.20 is talking about.

There is nothing in the cPanel code that checks the type of server. I've stood it up on a dedicated server with a single 16GB OvZ and it worked fine.

If there was such a limitation, cPanel would outline the specifics on their site. Because they'd have to say "a VPS license can't have more than 4GB of RAM" or "a VPS license won't support an OvZ container with more than 4 cpus" or whatever.

Do you have proof that a single VPS on a dedicated server violates cPanel's terms? If so, what are the specifics - what if I create a single 128MB VPS and a 15.5GB VPS? Do I have to have two cPanel-licensed VPSes on a dedicated server? Four? What are the rules?

It's unimaginable to me that cPanel would not cover this in their licensing and marketing materials if it was a violation.

• Certainly a interesting topic, there must be some sort of checking as it will error out if one attempts VPS license on bare server.

Else, perhaps they just rely on honesty for the reverse, I'm cool with that but others may not be. Of course there is that added layer of work just to get around the cheaper license which probably stops a lot.

This raises the question as we know some large providers run all their servers hypervised for management purposes. I recall HostGator on WHT once commenting to the fact that they do pay for the normal license. (cant find the source now) but I think it was a tangent from someone complaining that when you order a 'dedicated' it is just a big KVM (on top)

• @jithendra said:
    Required An Cpanel Licence
    suggest The Best Place To buy Licence
    amount 25-35$

Your web host. You can certainly get a cPanel dedicated license for $20-$30.

• My host Said 38$ so i need cheaper than that

• @raindog308 said:
    It's unimaginable to me that cPanel would not cover this in their licensing and marketing materials if it was a violation.

You make some good points, I'm actually not too sure about it, however I do know that the VPS license costs less because it is supposed to run on a VPS (why else would it be labeled a VPS license). And to run it a dedicated server is at the very least unethical, don't you think? Also the VPS license doesn't have all the features a dedicated license has, so these are my two cents.

BuyCPanel_Kevin said: You make some good points, I'm actually not too sure about it, however I do know that the VPS license costs less because it is supposed to run on a VPS (why else would it be labeled a VPS license). And to run it a dedicated server is at the very least unethical, don't you think? Also the VPS license doesn't have all the features a dedicated license has, so these are my two cents

I think your last point contradicts the one before it. If the VPS license provides fewer features than the dedicated license, then the user is consciously choosing cheaper cost at the expense of better features.

I'm not sure what those features are, though - the experience seemed the same to me.

I'm not sure about unethical, really - I think cPanel would make more of a mention if it cared.

• BuyCPanel_Kevin said: ... Also the VPS license doesn't have all the features a dedicated license has, so these are my two cents.

What features does the Dedicated license offer that the VPS does not?

• Yeah, I'm rather confused here.

From my experience, the VPS contains MORE features than the dedicated ; as you have portability, easier to back up, lower memory footprint, easier scalability, etc.

• If the VPS license contains more 'features' it would only be referring to the logic of how it interacts on a hypervised environment such as memory etc.

I am fairly certain the installer will not continue if you run the VM license on a bare server.

• @raindog308 said:
    I'm not sure about unethical, really - I think cPanel would make more of a mention if it cared.

Okay, I've done some digging around and the following was brought to my attention. Take a look at the third page of the partner NOC application for cPanel. It specifies that VPS licenses must run on a physical server (dedicated) with at least 3 virtual slices if you will. Here's a link: http://www.cpanel.net/legal-agreements/partnerapp.pdf

Hopefully this clears some things up

• @nunim said:
    What features does the Dedicated license offer that the VPS does not?

Sorry this statement was a little misleading on my part, the VPS license is simply optimized for virtual servers, this is not to suggest that it is a stripped down version of cPanel. (So it isn't missing any features)

• According to cPanel themselves, the functionality between the 2 is identical. The VPS version is just optimised to run in a virtual environment.

• @BuyCPanel_Kevin said:
    Take a look at the third page of the partner NOC application for cPanel. It specifies that VPS licenses must run on a physical server (dedicated) with at least 3 virtual slices

Does the partner noc applic. apply to anyone who subscribes to a monthly vps license? (ie OPs case)

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited February 2014

@BuyCPanel_Kevin said:
    It specifies that VPS licenses must run on a physical server (dedicated) with at least 3 virtual slices if you will.

It actually says:
    "When purchasing Virtual Server Licenses, there is a minimum purchase requirement of three Virtual Server Licenses per physical server."

..which is a bit confusing. Minimum three licenses per server, not three VPS per server. So if someone wants a license for a VPS, how does he know there are at least two other VPS on the same node using cPanel license?

edit: this is partner NOC application, so internal usage only, so the host must know how many license he has issued for his VPSes. Trouble is, when the first VPS client on a certain node asks for a license, the partner has to buy 3 licenses or tell the client to wait until at least there are 3 clients wanting cPanel licenses.

And in case of distributors, partner issuing external license would not know how many VPS licenses are utilized in the client's physical server.

Plus, regular user who is not a partner NOC would not be in such agreement, unless cPanel stated this somewhere else.

Confession: I am using VPS license on a big slice of dedicated server(s), no trouble so far, but would like to know about this further.

• BuyCPanel_Kevin said: Also the VPS license doesn't have all the features a dedicated license has, so these are my two cents.

BuyCPanel_Kevin said: Sorry this statement was a little misleading on my part, the VPS license is simply optimized for virtual servers, this is not to suggest that it is a stripped down version of cPanel. (So it isn't missing any features)

Very contradicting statements.

If you guys really want to clarify legalities and features, contact cPanel directly - [email protected]

Here are some helpful links:

http://forums.cpanel.net/f34/installing-cpanel-vps-optimized-373921.html

http://forums.cpanel.net/f8/cpanel-accelerated-logo-vps-246532.html

http://forums.cpanel.net/f34/vps-dedicated-server-cpanel-license-318571.html

I actually did ask them to ask on Feb 3rd - after a few emails, they're still "reviewing" with their legal team.

As if this is the first time anyone ever asked this question...

I think it's a question they don't want to answer because they benefit by having the assumptions unclear.

Honestly, I guess I don't care. I have two cPanel/WHM licenses. One is from $BIG_VPS_PROVIDER and since they provided the VPS and license, I would put any needed compliance on them. The other is one I own and it's presently on a 1G BuyVM VPS, so if that doesn't meet the scenario of a VPS license, I don't know what would.

And they're still reviewing. Seriously - ticket's been open with them since February 3rd.

Two months go by and cPanel can't answer basic questions about their licensing.