Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's with those recent bans at LET? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's with those recent bans at LET?

Comments

• @charliecron said: I think they are trying to encourage the calm, cool, helpful, non-abusive style of the new "Chief", Joel Theodore.

This

• debugdebug Member

@Daniel said: I preferred V2 of LET since it was community-moderated.

+1, it lets the community basically run itself.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited April 2012

@debug said: +1, it lets the community basically run itself.

And use administrative privileges when there's really need to step in (evident heavy spam, extremely rude insultive posts, etc..)

Thanked by 1Liam
  • @Spirit said: And use administrative privileges when there's really need to step in (evident heavy spam, extremely rude insultive posts, etc..)

In V2 privileges were assigned by karma. I can only speak for myself but I know others with high karma probably had the same powers, but we could delete, close and edit threads, but couldn't ban.

But it was better.

Thanked by 1Liam
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Spirit said: when there's really need to step in (evident heavy spam, extremely rude insultive posts, etc..)

That's what I aspire to, and I'm sure Chief and the others will agree.

Thanked by 1Liam
  • Yes, V2 was way better, really community driven. The only thing i did not like about it was the very strange ordering of the replies - made it really hard to follow the longer threads.

• @Daniel said: others with high karma probably had the same powers, but we could delete, close and edit threads

The downside to v2 was that one particular user with a very high karma was abusing that privilege. Not to mention the karma farming sessions.

Thanked by 1Steve81
  • @Daniel said: But it was better.

Yeah, I remember only one excess (when doc edited thread to make fun from poster) and one LEA intervention when someone start to massive spam LET with spam threads.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited April 2012

@Aldryic said: The downside to v2 was that one particular user with a very high karma was abusing that privilege. Not to mention the karma farming sessions.

Oh what user?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited April 2012

It happened only once and I think that I was the one who condemned it first and then community expressed disagreement with his act, cedric re-dedited post back so everything ended ok (I think).

• @Spirit said: It happened only once. And community expressed disagreement with his act so everything ended ok (I think).

Aah, ok. I was under the impression this was something of a regular, if sneaky, occurrence. Though at the time I was spending far more time over on Hostloc.. Fran hadn't gotten me completely addicted to LET just yet <_<

• @Aldryic said: Fran hadn't gotten me completely addicted to LET just yet <_<

Nah, your addicted.

• Oh, I am now without a doubt. Sorry, that was an 'at the time' statement.

• @Aldryic said: Oh, I am now without a doubt. Sorry, that was an 'at the time' statement.

Didn't realise the past tense. I failed English.

• AsimAsim Member

hmm, my personal views... banning is not the way especially when both of the mentioned users were not exactly trolls.

by the way, how did we knew they were banned?

• @Asim said: hmm, my personal views... banning is not the way especially when both of the mentioned users were not exactly trolls.

by the way, how did we knew they were banned?

You click on their profile and it says banned?

LEA never banned anyone unless they were a spammer.

• ZettaZetta Member

LEA is gone and the golden age of LET is over.

• I never saw V2, what software was it using?

• Its not the same without DrMike.

I know many of you hated him, but he was hardly a bad member of the community, and was here for a very long time (even before me!!!)

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@bijan588 said: I never saw V2, what software was it using?

OSQA.

Thanked by 1bijan588
  • @bijan588 said: I never saw V2, what software was it using?

Ugm? Q&A Quora like software.

• So it had self moderation, I can see that being good.

Sometimes members can go rouge though, and that sounds like it would not be too good.

Thanked by 1Liam
  • @bijan588 said: So it had self moderation, I can see that being good.

Sometimes members can go rouge though, and that sounds like it would not be too good.

The requirements to get the basic powers were very high.

• @Daniel said: The requirements to get the basic powers were very high

I realize this, but I just know that even approved moderators can snap and cause problems.

But then again, I am getting this from the immature ragefilled gmod community.

• @Daniel said: Its not the same without DrMike.

I know many of you hated him, but he was hardly a bad member of the community, and was here for a very long time (even before me!!!)

I'll be honest, I miss mike. Sure, he could be annoying at times and the personal drama got old <_< But my only real beef with him was when he started telling people that I discriminate against handicaps.

edited April 2012

@Aldryic said: I'll be honest, I miss mike. Sure, he could be annoying at times and the personal drama got old <_< But my only real beef with him was when he started telling people that I discriminate against handicaps.

A lot of the time he had really genuine points.

TBH i never knew he was handicap until he left, but nor do I care.

Thanked by 2Infinity Liam
  • CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

Guys,

I have to agree with the ban, he went over the top and needs time to cool off!

• @httpzoom said: Guys,

I have to agree with the ban, he went over the top and needs time to cool off!

Depends how long the ban is for.

• @httpzoom said: he went over the top

When? How?

Thanked by 1Liam
    edited April 2012

He posted this

Neah, BuyVM invented OpenVZ, KVM, XEN, TCP/IP, UDP and IPX.

I dont think we will ever be able to patch this place back again, IMO it is irreversibly lost.
    I will be on WHT, now and then. Good buy(VM) and stay strong :)

I sorta agree with him?

Thanked by 1Liam