Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS Provider Comparison Table
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS Provider Comparison Table

joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
edited March 2012 in Providers

I've been working on a small project for the past few days, and I have a first version up and running. It's essentially an 'interactive' table with VPS plans from a bunch of providers, that can be filtered by specifications, price, etc.

The table/site can be found at http://vps-list.cryto.net/.

The features/to-do list that used to be here has been moved to http://wiki.cryto.net/doku.php?id=projects:vpslist

If you have any feedback, let me know!

Thanked by 2NanoG6 Andri

Comments

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited March 2012

I like the fact that we're on top :) - Only thing is we do offer free DNS upon request.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2012

@DotVPS said: Nice :) How long did it take to code?

I've been working on it for about 2 days now - not for the entire days though. Probably about 20 hours of work altogether, including adding the providers that are there now.

@BlueVM said: I like the fact that we're on top :) - Only thing is we do offer free DNS upon request.

The magic of the alphabet :D
    On a more serious note though, I've fixed the BlueVM entries, they should start displaying green checkmarks somewhere in the next minute :)

@DotVPS said: What do you mean by FreeDNS? like a cpanel account?

Some VPS providers offer free DNS hosting for all their customers, that's what the 'Free DNS' column indicates.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited March 2012

Why you didn't enabled sorting in the datatables plugin? :P

Also, include a button to reset the filters :P

@yomero said: Why you didn't enabled sorting in the datatables plugin? :P

Also, include a button to reset the filters :P

It doesn't play nice with formatted numbers :(
    Anyhow, I'll be implementing sorting slightly differently, since I don't particularly feel like hacking around in the DataTables code any more. It's a rather messy bit of code, and I've found my one trip into the source of it to fix a bug, to be more than I wanted :) It does work well though.
    The reset button is a good idea, I'll definitely include that when I update the rest of the filters (to add filtering for IPv4, IRC, etc).

• YEah, the plugin is complex, you need to do the custom sorters :P

• Oh hey, it's the anonops kid. Haven't seen you in awhile :P

Nice work on the chart.

• NickMNickM Member

I'd like to see the RAM sliders adjusted to only allow values in increments of, say, 64MB. Otherwise, quite nice.

edited March 2012

@NickM said: I'd like to see the RAM sliders adjusted to only allow values in increments of, say, 64MB. Otherwise, quite nice.

That is actually already what they are (supposed to be) doing :P

@Aldryic said: Oh hey, it's the anonops kid. Haven't seen you in awhile :P

Nice work on the chart.

Hey there, long time no speak :)
    Anyhow, this is possibly derailing the thread a bit, but could you check if the BuyVM plans on the chart all have the correct specs? I couldn't seem to reach DeltaAnime IRC, so had no chance to ask.

UPDATE: I've just put up a rough first version of the user submission page. You can now submit your own providers and plans at http://vps-list.cryto.net/quickadd.php

• flyfly Member

hey, would it be possible to make the filters set by text input in addition to your sliding bars?

@kbar said: hey, would it be possible to make the filters set by text input in addition to your sliding bars?

Good idea, will implement that soon as well.

• @joepie91 said: could you check if the BuyVM plans on the chart all have the correct specs?

Sure thing; looks dead-on to me. Everything looks pretty solid, that table is pretty slick.

• AndriAndri Member

Awesome! And it would be nice if the slider is goes from maximum to minimum 0, pardon my English, for example if someone looking for a maximum 128 MB Dedicated RAM they can set the RAM to 128 max. :)

• Might be a good idea if location-based filtering was added as well ;)

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • @taipres - It's not like you'd posted that work here before....

There's an abundance of sites out there that let you compare hosts. Can you honestly claim to be the first to develop the idea?

Thanked by 1yomero
  • I am Really appreciate your effort...
    thanks dude

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Nice one :) Maybe a test file for speeds too ? Most providers include one.
    Also location is a good idea since many ppl I know are selecting hosts by location.
    And an expiration time, say a couple of weeks, since many hosts are sold out fast and it gets outdated.
    M

• GaNiGaNi Member
    edited March 2012

Another column for location might be good too. Since many people look forward to the place where they server's are located.

PS: Nice job! :)

• dirkdirk Member

Filtering on ipv6 would also be usefull

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited March 2012

Yeah joepie91, you might as well just copy the rest of the features from my site, you're almost there anyway. Here go ahead and take this code too http://cheapvpsdeals.info/table.php so you can have a real sort table.

• Where are we! :P

• xenuxenu Member

I think there should be filtering on OS (Linux, Windows, FreeBSD, etc.), it would be very helpful.

• @VMPort said: Where are we! :P

I noticed there's quite a few companies missing...

• So... that's why he want to add an user submission feature

Thanked by 1Boltersdriveer
  • wiiguywiiguy Member
    edited March 2012

i think there should be filtering on openVZ, XEN and KVM

Thanked by 1tux
    edited March 2012

I've changed a few things around and added some remarks on the user submission pages to make it a bit more clear what information should go where. Additionally I'm in the process of reviewing the submissions that were made in the past few hours, they should appear shortly :D

@Maounique said: Nice one :) Maybe a test file for speeds too ? Most providers include one.

Also location is a good idea since many ppl I know are selecting hosts by location.

The database fields for this actually already exist, I just still have to work on the server location feature a bit (this is also where test files and IPs will be implemented). Should be done very soon.

@Maounique said: And an expiration time, say a couple of weeks, since many hosts are sold out fast and it gets outdated.

I'm not sure if that would be a good idea, as it would put a lot of pressure on people to constantly submit their plans. I think it would be better to just allow users to submit corrections for all entries in the list - that way (I hope) corrections will be submitted for outdated plans.

@dirk said: Filtering on ipv6 would also be usefull

This will come soon :)

@VMPort said: Where are we! :P

Feel free to add yourself at http://vps-list.cryto.net/quickadd.php :)

@yomero said: So... that's why he want to add an user submission feature

It's actually already there :) (or well, a basic and rough version of it)

@wiiguy said: i think there should be filtering on openVZ, XEN and KVM

This, too, will be added soon.

@taipres said: Yeah joepie91, you might as well just copy the rest of the features from my site, you're almost there anyway. Here go ahead and take this code too http://cheapvpsdeals.info/table.php so you can have a real sort table.

Since you apparently can't stop filling up this thread with complaining about how I 'ripped off' your idea:
    1. I was not even aware that the plan comparison on your site even existed. As far as I was aware, it was still the promo offer low-end VPS blog that it was before - which, I might add, was an exact clone of LowEndBox at the time.
    2. There are many comparison sites out there for virtually everything that use a similar format - there were just not any complete ones for VPS providers. This is just about the most generic comparison idea there is.
    3. Your comparison only shows plans that have had a promo offer posted on the blog. It is not direct user submission, does not give a full overview of all plans of a provider, and is even more prone to being outdated as they are discount prices.
    Now can we cut the childish rubbish and get back to actual constructive feedback? Thank you very much.

• Ha Sven,

Nice list, thanks. Page looks a bit weird without javascript, had to turn off Scriptno...

• @joepie91
    For some reason someone raised all of the ram amounts I put in for burstable, I offer vSwap not burst, so I put in the vSwap amounts, but with this raise it makes it look like I'm offering more swap then ram.

For some reason someone raised all of the ram amounts I put in for burstable, I offer vSwap not burst, so I put in the vSwap amounts, but with this raise it makes it look like I'm offering more swap then ram.

Yes, that's correct. I added a note to the plan submission page a few minutes ago that if you are offering vSwap, the 'Burstable RAM' entry should be Guaranteed + vSwap, since many users consider 'Burstable RAM' to be "the maximum they can burst to", and if that were to be lower than the Guaranteed RAM, that would raise questions like "how can I burst to less than what I can always use?". I'll fix that up once I have a proper way to denote vSwap as opposed to OpenVZ burstable - for now this was the most easily overseeable solution I could come up with.

• Just make the table say Burst/vSwap