Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats the ideal vps plan and price for you? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Whats the ideal vps plan and price for you?

2»

Comments

• @Damian said: My statement here was more of a statement that in the future, I'm not going to pay for a longer term of service than quarterly til I determine if the service fits my needs. It was NOT to speak poorly of VPS6's service; I was considering VPS6 for Los Angeles connectivity, since it appears that Hostitek has died.

Ah, no problem, thanks for the explanation. Hopefully we can improve the connectivity in Turkey as time goes on, but at present it's just very expensive.

• @NanoG6 said: I haven't try HVM so I can't compare it myself.

KVM and Xen HVM both use QEMU to provide visualization, but I've found KVM edges out Xen HVM as more robust supporting more features to the guest.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • nocomnocom Member

OpenVZ
    RAM: 256/512mb
    HDD: 10 GB
    Bandwidth: 100GB
    Gigabit (1000mbps) Network Port
    Native IPv6 support
    TUN and FUSE enabled
    CPU: 3 Fair Share CPU
    99.5% uptime
    23-26$ Yearly

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • KVM (With Virtio disk/net) or Xen PV
    128-192mb ram
    5+gb disk
    250gb+ bandwidth
    2 CPU cores
    Native IPv6
    IRCd and clients allowed
    East coast US, eastern Canada, UK, NL, DE, etc. Just need good connection speeds and latency to all of the US and Europe.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

256MB ram
    10GB disk
    250GB+ bw
    1+ cpu core
    IPv6+IPv4, with instant rDNS.

UK, East Coast US.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@Damian said: Node instability and connectivity issues. The node that I was on rebooted 6 to 10 times in the month that I used their service. I can't imagine that there's much reason for continual reboots on OpenVZ. I've figured out how to keep our own VPS nodes up, even with vswap, so it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling when I'm on a host where there isn't the same level of attention.

Regarding their connectivity issues, it was similar to my earlier post where I would notice timeouts where other monitored systems did not match timeouts.

This was during a period where I was culling the less-viable nodes, and it was on the chopping block.

I will say that they had some pretty awesome support; after I submitted my cancellation request, they opened a support ticket with me and we discussed the issues I had encountered and they seemed to have genuine concern.

The issues with the node you were located on were resolved about a month ago (you can see evidence of this in the comments on our most recent post on LEB). We had a few abusing users that we removed and spread out the users on one node over two to improve performance.

As for the connectivity issues you were encountering, we tried to work with you on that. We spent a few hours over several days going through the issue with our upstream providers, but we could not detect anything on our side. It's possible that the issue was with one of your upstream providers, or somewhere in between our location and yours, but we were unable to track it down since you elected to not pursue the issue. We do not believe it is our issue, since none of our other customers have reported similar issues. However, we're still willing to work with you if you are interested in trying again.

• dracodraco Member

I would like a VPS that's enough for me to run OpenVPN. Possibly OpenVZ located in US, at least 150GB transfer, and maybe 32MB RAM (if this is enough for just OpenVPN). Say, <$10/year?

• @Damian Hostitek died? o_O

• AmfyAmfy Member

@draco: Hm, would a shared IP enough?

• 128MB KVM, 10GB disk, 200GB on 100Mbit,(1Gbit preferred) bandwidth located in NL

15$ a year

• @yomero said: Hostitek died? o_O

Ehh they were having weird issues.

Looks like I still can't get to it with munin, though:

root@onyx:~# telnet dns-hostitek.ipxcore.com 4343
    Trying 184.22.187.73...
    telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

• dracodraco Member

@Amfy said: @draco: Hm, would a shared IP enough?

Hmm, nope, but I guess the usual cost of IP being $1/mth makes that plan impossible.