Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Box vs Dropbox? True reviews from real users needed...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Box vs Dropbox? True reviews from real users needed...

MichaelBuiMichaelBui Member
edited January 2014 in General

Anyone tried those 2 services recently? If so, can you compare the sync speed in details?

(E.g: I heard many times that Dropbox is faster than Box but I need to know how much it is faster...)

Comments

• They both have free options why not try them for yourself. I personal like dropbox and dropbox doesn't have a file size limit like box does.

• I've been using Dropbox for about 3 or 4 years now. I've used Box.com for a few months but i didn't like their 250MB per file limit. Dropbox is fast for me, Box.com is slow(er) for me, if i need to guess, it's about 25-30% slower than Dropbox

• tommytommy Member
    edited January 2014

personally I prefer dropbox because they have linux client and faster than box.com.

I've been using dropbox for 2 years

• I've tried moving away from Dropbox multiple times... but its just the best.

• +1 for DropBox. In my country, DropBox is much faster than Box. In addition, Dropbox has nice client software in various platforms.

• irmirm Member

Big fan of Dropbox and their linux software.

• Dropbox is faster than box, but box had a 50Gb give away not long ago.

Box doesn't have a Linux client although you can mount it with davfs (even slower speeds then!)...

You can easily max out your Dropbox referrals with a fake mail generator and a few droplets from Digital Ocean ;)

• I like Dropbox mainly because it has that snazzy feature where when you connect your iPhone it syncs all your photos. Box on the other gives more bang for the buck (I think I have 50gb for free), plus it's not all that slow for me.

• so what kind of files are you uploading that are more than 250mb limit........ahhh documents....mmmm......

• @dragz said:
    so what kind of files are you uploading that are more than 250mb limit........ahhh documents....mmmm......

Cryptocontainer with important data (e.g. scans of ID)

Thanked by 1dragz
  • this need a lot of thanks..never never never upload files without encrypting them.

• @dragz said:
    so what kind of files are you uploading that are more than 250mb limit........ahhh documents....mmmm......

Android custom ROMs (1 GB each)..Sigh

• akzakz Member

I personally like dropbox, its available on almost every platform for mobile. I can upload large files to share no problems. Another one to look at would be copy they are pretty good as well I use them as my photo archive.

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited January 2014

@skybucks100 said:
    I like Dropbox mainly because it has that snazzy feature where when you connect your iPhone it syncs all your photos.

BTSync can do this also.

here is an ideal, get a cheap vps load ownCloud and use in combo with BTSync and Webdav both work on smart phones, and backup owncloud user files with duplicati

Thanked by 2kinotix Mark_R
  • why use either, terrible security, at least with dropbox. i'd go for wuala or at least yandex disk.

• i use pogoplug & Bitcasa, however i have recently tried http://pcloud.com/ which i believe has no file size limits.

• EvoEvo Member

Dropbox is definitely the superior service in my opinion. When I tried Box.com, it was very, very slow, also the sync application for Windows used unnecessary huge amount of resources. The Box.com sync app for Android was even worse in terms of speed.

• Dropbox is more widely supported by the public. I use my 50GB from Box as a backup for my Dropbox. My vote for Dropbox because it's everywhere though. If security is a concern, why not try SpiderOak?

• Drop box is better and recently they are getting more money injected by investors as well. But how about copy.com they are generous in referral bonus and the client is quite okay too.

• Box seems to be new but getting better. When things get off the ground, most of the time they can not fully beat competitors on everything.