Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intel launches 22nm Xeon E5-2400 cpus
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Intel launches 22nm Xeon E5-2400 cpus

rchurchrchurch Member
edited January 2014 in General

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2322307/intel-launches-22nm-xeon-e5-2400-v2-chips-for-servers

How soon will our intrepid LET providers start offering VPSs and dedicated servers using them? Would dedicated servers be outside the LEB price range?

Comments

• skagerrakskagerrak Member
    edited January 2014

I want to see the Celeron G1820, G1820T, G1830 in all those ultra-cheap dedicated servers. :-)

• @skagerrak as soon as our suppliers stock it :)

• @rds100 said:
    skagerrak as soon as our suppliers stock it :)

Grrreat :-)

• @skagerrak said:
    I want to see the Celeron G1820, G1820T, G1830 in all those ultra-cheap dedicated servers. :-)

These look interesting. What would be the expected prices on the OVH scale?

• It's not that useful. Most things are 2600 only. 2400 is a rare thing.

• I want to see E3-1200v4 and E5-2600v3

• @Andy said:
    I want to see E3-1200v4 and E5-2600v3

Q2 this year / next year.

• It seems the motherboards / chipsets for Haswell will not be compatible with Broadwell and vice versa. Which will cause quite some confusion since both Broadwell and Haswell will use socket LGA1150.
    So an upgrade from E3-12xxV3 to E3-xxV4 will not be that simple.

• edited January 2014

Upgrading from E3v2 to v3 is not simple as well, the sockets are different.

• @rds100 said:
    It seems the motherboards / chipsets for Haswell will not be compatible with Broadwell and vice versa. Which will cause quite some confusion since both Broadwell and Haswell will use socket LGA1150.

They gotta think about the motherboard manufacturers, you know.

• @serverian yes but now the manufacturers will have a lot of troubles explaining why this LGA1150 motherboard is not compatible with that LGA1150 CPU.
    If intel was thinking of the motherboard manufacturers they should have changed the socket to LGA1151 or something like that. This would reduce the confusion.

• @rds100 said:
    It seems the motherboards / chipsets for Haswell will not be compatible with Broadwell and vice versa. Which will cause quite some confusion since both Broadwell and Haswell will use socket LGA1150.

Link? I don't they'll do that to a die shrink. The only rumor floating around is that they'll drop CPU and motherboards altogether and have it as a SOC like in mobile world, so you don't get to choose. That's not confirmed though.

• @rds100

It depends on the rumor mill you're following. If you read it carefully on your links - there are indications that Broadwell won't come this year. There will something called Haswell refresh. So given Intel changes platforms every 2 years, it's the same thing. Consider Haswell refresh the next round.

From the looks of it - Intel lacks competition (reads: AMD screwed up), they're pushing Broadwell back and selling Haswell for another year.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Dell servers have option for the E5 v2 CPUs already. I am just waiting on quotes for a new node for KVM platform using these CPUs myself. :-)

• @Oliver said:
    Dell servers have option for the E5 v2 CPUs already. I am just waiting on quotes for a new node for KVM platform using these CPUs myself. :-)

E5-2400 V2 here, not E5-2600 V2. 2600 has been out for a while.

Oh, OK maybe I have the models wrong. I thought all the E5 v2 IvyBridge ones are the same 22nm.

• lower TDP Lesser electricity bill ;) atleast some decrease, not a lot.

edited January 2014

These are available on Dell R320:

Intel® Xeon® E5-2430 v2
    Intel® Xeon® E5-2420 v2
    Intel® Xeon® E5-1410 v2
    Intel® Xeon® E5-2440 v2
    Intel® Xeon® E5-2430L v2
    Intel® Xeon® E5-2407 v2
    Intel® Xeon® E5-2470 v2
    Intel® Xeon® E5-2403 v2

2420v2 looks good...

• skagerrak said: I want to see the Celeron G1820

I have a G1820 now, testing it at the moment :)

• @rds100 , should we expect new Atom range server then??

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited January 2014

@MikeIn yep. Or rather an extension of an existing range, with some new and cheaper options.

Thanked by 1MikeIn
  • :)

We all will wait for your new offers :)

• I did acquire some of these as well, and a E5-2470 testsystem - lets see, maybe an Atom (ECO) replacement with the cheap low power ones. Seems to not beat Atom power consumption though (Our ECO series is at ~25W, complete)

Thanked by 1MikeIn