Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About name-calling and stuff
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

About name-calling and stuff

mpkossenmpkossen Member
edited January 2014 in General

It has occurred to us (us being the staff) that name-calling has become some sort of commodity here. While we understand that people get pissed off in the heat of battle and that one things leads to another, we certainly don't think it's respectful and it's definitely not something we want to tolerate.

There is even a rule in the 'Rules & Guidelines' regarding RESPECT. Name-calling is not respect.

Therefore, we are going to enforce that rule more strictly. Name-calling will result in a warning (or two), after that a maximum of two temporary bans, and eventually a permanent ban.

We don't mind someone swearing every once in a while, or the use of the word 'f*ck'. But if you start a personal battle against someone and start to call him names, like 'moron' or even go say stuff like '..., you little kid', you're crossing the big red line that reads RESPECT.

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

well I think this is fine as long as a bit of common sense is applied.

someone complaining about the treatment of a host or service provider in a respectful manner to be met with being called "C**T", "moron" or worse, obviously there is no need for that.

In the middle of a lengthy debate someone saying "Are you f*******G insane", I dont see any problem with that.

Its all about context I guess.

Thanked by 2Epidrive HostNun
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    well I think this is fine as long as a bit of common sense is applied.

someone complaining about the treatment of a host or service provider in a respectful manner to be met with being called "C**T", "moron" or worse, obviously there is no need for that.

In the middle of a lengthy debate someone saying "Are you f*******G insane", I dont see any problem with that.

Its all about context I guess.

Exactly. This is exactly what we're going to do and what we mean.

• @AnthonySmith that's how we see things too. It's not a problem with "wtf are you thinking, that's insane" but basic respect to each other this community lost.
    We came to a level when everyone can say to everyone "you're f***ing moron, you scumbag..." and nothing happens. There's no need for that, this is not contribution to discussion and people don't come to forum just to be insulted by some random guy with a bad day...

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • the worst thing about censorship is #$&@$*##@$ !!!.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

you're a lily-livered bleeding-heart liberal egg head communist

Thanked by 1Setsura
  • Or put another way, target the behaviour, not the person...

• VPNVPN Member

I'm all for more respect. Unfortunately there is a selection of users (most of which are providers) that have no respect and they need to be dealt with.

• OkieDoke said: I'm all for more respect. Unfortunately there is a selection of users (most of which are providers) that have no respec

Didn't you start insulting @CentrioHost by calling him a moron?

• VPNVPN Member

I definitely called him a moron but you should check the thread and see that @CentrioHost started the blatant lack of respect.

I'm not saying that its ok for me to be rude just because he was but I think it can be understood that I was only giving him the same respect he was giving me and others.

• First, I think name calling, is like calling a name, for example, my name Erawan, but it's different :D

• EpidriveEpidrive Member
    edited January 2014

Yeah. LET's be a friendly forum, too. Like that one over there.

If ye know what i mean ;)

• @FrapHost said:
    Yes. Let's be a friendly forum, too. Like that one over there.

But if this does not happen you're free to not advertise your business at this forum and do this at that one over there.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2014

you're crossing the big red like that reads RESPECT.

Learn2spell "line", Digital Overlord, Sir.

<3

• I don't think language or calling others out has a place on this forum. It should remain reasonably business-professional. There's many ways to insult someone with eloquence. :)

• @jarland said:
    Learn2spell "line", Digital Overlord, Sir.

>

<3

Fixed that ;-)

Twice.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@mpkossen said:
    Twice.

Haha touché ;)

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

As the usual receiver of such "attention", let me give my 2c.

I really hope all things will be equal. i.e. Chris will not be given carte blanche while some other host be kicked at the first occurence. I also hope no ninja-edits will be used to frame someone.

I agree this was a needed move. Many people lose arguments and come to that. I wasnt happy about it, but I wouldnt like the other party banned because of it if they go against me. It is their way of admitting defeat.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • HeinzHeinz Member
    edited January 2014

You have a deep obsessive need to put yourself in the centre of every random thread isn't that right?!

+1 to op.

• mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited January 2014

@Maounique said:
    As the usual receiver of such "attention", let me give my 2c.

I really hope all things will be equal. i.e. Chris will not be given carte blanche while some other host be kicked at the first occurence. I also hope no ninja-edits will be used to frame someone.

I agree this was a needed move. Many people lose arguments and come to that. I wasnt happy about it, but I wouldnt like the other party banned because of it if they go against me. It is their way of admitting defeat.

We won't be giving cart blanches or anything. Respect should come from everybody.

People do get warnings first, so we're not going to be instantly banning people. Really, an honest mistake can be made and we will initially try and contact somebody to fix things. Banning is only for people that really don't get it and we would start with temporary bans.

Also, an apology often goes a long way in case someone is (accidentally) disrespectful.

edited January 2014

I was the target of name-calling, memes and mocking since i joined not to mentioned ban even though I didnt break any rule by reciprocating. I kept my tone low and let the reason prevail. It didnt and I was banned the first time and almost withdrew this time.

I do have something to say about the board policy dont you think ?

EDIT: sorry the reply was for @Heinz.

• @Maounique said:
    I was the target of name-calling, memes and mocking since i joined not to mentioned ban even though I didnt break any rule by reciprocating. I kept my tone low and let the reason prevail. It didnt and I was banned the first time and almost withdrew this time.

I do have something to say about the board policy dont you think ?

EDIT: sorry the reply was for Heinz.

I don't mean any offence by this, but you do have a way of making every thread like this a "you vs the LET mafia" battle.

I'm just saying that perhaps your direct action could be better in a more passive way?

The pretext is irrelevant. That guy looked in a crooked way to me so i killed him. I doesnt work that way, there should be rules, if you are unhappy with someone you can flag the posts and PM admins.

I tried but they reacted badly, so I reached the conclusion they like it this way so I moved out.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I suggest that the mods and admins clean up this announcement and then close it.

This is getting out of hand. @mpkossen @spirit @jcaleb

Thanked by 1perennate
  • What about people calling me GIANT_CRAP?

I feel extremely hurt, I demand compensation + refund.

• @MikHo said:
    I suggest that the mods and admins clean up this announcement and then close it.

This is getting out of hand. mpkossen spirit jcaleb

A little off-topic discussion is what LET makes LET. I don't see it getting out of hand. I'm going to leave this announcement here for a bit and move it down later.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • mpkossen said: A little off-topic discussion is what makes LET, LET

My grammar-nazi tendencies aside, I totally agree with you :P.

• @mkpossen WELL! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

Thanked by 2Zen tchen
  • here we go again

• @Magiobiwan: at least spell my name right if you want to make a joke ;-)

• Welp, I'm an idiot. :|

This discussion has been closed.