Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GreenValueHost VPS Review (New Years Special) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GreenValueHost VPS Review (New Years Special)

Comments

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited January 2014

@GreenValueHost said:
    If we did not have CPU usage policies, we would have deadpooled a very long time ago.

Everyone has CPU anti-abuse policies. However the policies by reputable hosts like Prometeus, Ramnode, INIZ, DotVPS, BlueVM, Weloveservers, Cloudshards, Servermania, MyRSK, Raidlogic, Fliphost aren't restrictive, and don't interfere with the normal use of a VPS.

Maybe what you meant was that you need these restrictions to "overtly oversell" resources, in contrast to other hosts who employ judicious allocations.

• lowendtalk should ban any host that oversell to much -unsuspension fee is a ridiculous, please find another alternative to overcome your "oversell" -

• VirtovoVirtovo Member
    edited January 2014

@GreenValueHost said:
    If we did not have CPU usage policies, we would have deadpooled a very long time ago.

Edited:

Agreed and I think as a business you do need some policy on CPU usage. I do agree however with others that if the hard limit is 50% or above (not burst for x amount of time etc) then maybe you should just consider halving your CPU allocation as although it does state in your terms:

Users may not: Use 50% or more of CPU resources for longer then 60 seconds (Applies to Virtual Servers ONLY)

That's quite an unusual and overly restrictive term. Or possibly make it clear in the offer.

This really is to save you as much hassle as your clients.

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • PatrickPatrick Member
    edited January 2014

If you don't agree with a companies policy then don't sign up but then again people agree to them at sign up without even reading them and then get bit and moan.

Thanked by 1ironhide
  • @mentari said:
    lowendtalk should ban any host that oversell to much -unsuspension fee is a ridiculous, please find another alternative to overcome your "oversell" -

The unsuspension fee is not rediculous. Think of it as shifting some of the cost to abusers. @GreenValueHost already made it clear that they will waive the fee if it wasn't intentional or actually abusive. I'm glad they have this policy as it should cut down on blatant abuse.

That said, I don't necessarily agree with the max CPU policy as stated, "we allow clients to burst up to 50% of their CPU allocation -- NO EXCEPTIONS." There's no point in allocating say 4 CPUs to the container if you're going to suspend it when it bursts slightly over 2. Containers should be able to burst to 100% of their CPUs for a (very) short period of time without having to worry about suspension. If bursting over half your CPU allocation would lead to immediate suspension, then only half should be assigned to the container to prevent that situation.

• a very large amount of CPU abuse incidents . . . resulting in our systems administrators needing to spend lengthy shifts tracking down and suspending resource hogs

It almost seems like 'entrapment' to oversell a server to the point where overcrowding makes an influx of 'abusive' CPU usage inevitable for a large majority of people--who would not have been considered resource hogs on a less oversold server--and then to exploit that inevitability with a $10 re-activation fee... or do I have that wrong?

(Disclaimer: I don't have a VPS with GVH so the above isn't said with any certainty).

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • @INIZ said:
    If you don't agree with a companies policy then don't sign up but then again people agree to them at sign up without even reading them and then get bit and moan.

The said policies were dramatically changed in a day few days after sign up. Additionally I have made use of their following policy and asked for a refund.

"if at ANY TIME within 45 days you are unsatisfied with our hosting services for ANY reason, simply just request for your money back! No questions asked"

The service that was committed at signup is not the service that is being provided now.

• @petris said:
    That said, I don't necessarily agree with the max CPU policy as stated, "we allow clients to burst up to 50% of their CPU allocation -- NO EXCEPTIONS." There's no point in allocating say 4 CPUs to the container if you're going to suspend it when it bursts slightly over 2. Containers should be able to burst to 100% of their CPUs for a (very) short period of time without having to worry about suspension. If bursting over half your CPU allocation would lead to immediate suspension, then only half should be assigned to the container to prevent that situation.

If anyone here wishes to make 100% sure that they do not get suspended for CPU abuse, they are more than welcome to ticket in and request for us to cut their CPU allocation in half. And yes, if you're a legitimate user, the unsuspension fee would be waived. Once again, legitimate clients shouldn't be afraid of our abuse policies. They're not aimed towards harming legitimate clients.

• chrispchrisp Member
    edited January 2014

Why are you not suspending people by hand? I would have been so pissed if my vps got suspended "by accident" by your monitoring. Glad I already canceled. Is it so hard to make this script send a notification to you to check manually how long resources have been maxed? I just imagine my vps getting canceled while extracting some databases and then zipping (with high compression level -> CPU abuse!!!) them to back them up and while doing this it gets canceled :(

Also, don't you see any other way of fighting cpu abuse? For example you could limit the cpu share after 60s using 100% automatically and then delimit it again after 20 minutes or something, but really suspending a vps after only 60 seconds using the cpu is SO ridiculous. Really the more I think about it the more I feel this is a cheap trick to make some extra money.

• I opened another ticket asking suspension, their answer, I'm abusing their ticket....

• @MorningIris said:
    I opened another ticket asking suspension, their answer, I'm abusing their ticket....

For real? LoL if so, back up and move to another better provider

• MorningIris said: I opened another ticket asking suspension, their answer, I'm abusing their ticket....

ROFLMAO!!!!

• Maybe provider thought that people buys VPS to host their Static Files and Personal Albums only! So that CPU can never go beyond 50% for 60 seconds!!!

There are many providers who are smartly dealing with this issue, some of them throttle the CPU down, some uses smart alerts.

But come on, A suspension after 60 seconds of 50% CPU is just so 1990! :P

• @INIZ at first time or before we sign up, we did read all about the ToS and AUP however the fee for unsuspenssion just bring up a week after we sign for that

• raza19raza19 Veteran
    edited January 2014

check this out :)

My First and Only ticket at greenvaluehost today 01/07/2014

Please cancel this plan and refund me the amount according to your statement:

>

"if at ANY TIME within 45 days you are unsatisfied with our hosting services for ANY reason, > simply just request for your money back! No questions asked"

>

at:

>

Their reply

From Stephen Phillips || 01/07/2014 02:56

>

Hello,

>

Thank you for contacting us, I will forward this ticket to one of our Billing agents, they will follow up as soon as possible, Thank you for your patience in advance!

>

Kind Regards,

>

Stephen Phillips

>

Technical Support Engineer

The Next Msg they sent :)

From Jonathan Nguyen || Staff || 8 hours later
    Hello,

Please don't abuse our helpdesk. We have policies against the following:

1. Treating a single ticket as a universal helpdesk ticket

>

1. Submitting several tickets regarding a single issue/incident

>

1. Submitting tickets intentionally into the incorrect department to confuse/cause troubles to GreenValueHost staff

>

As per our Terms of Service (http://www.greenvaluehost.com/tos.html), the following helpdesk abuse consequences can be given to clients at the discretion of GreenValueHost management:

>
    >

1. One-time payment fine of $5.00 per ticket violating helpdesk abuse policies

>

1. Permanent or temporary revocation of client's 24/7 support/10-minute average response time eligibility

>

1. Termination (in cases of 3 or more intentional (as determined by GreenValueHost staff) helpdesk abuse incidents within a 1 month period)

>

As of now, this automatic-generated message serves as your official warning for helpdesk abuse. Please take note of this and refrain from abusing our helpdesk again in the future.

>

Best Regards,

Jonathan Nguyen
    President of Operations
    GreenValueHost Management_

So are you now trying to pull your way out of paying the promised refund @GreenValueHost ?

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited January 2014

from GreenValueHost TOS

Refund Policy

If you are not satisfied with our services, you may choose to contact our support department or administration in which they will attempt at their best effort to correct any situation(s) you may have. If the problem still cannot be fixed, you may be eligible to a refund within 45 days of your original purchase.

your ad says:

BEFORE YOU ORDER, please note that ALL of these plans come with our NO-HASSLE 45-Day MONEY BACK GUARANTEE. If at ANY TIME within 45 days you are unsatisfied with our hosting services for ANY reason, simply just request for your money back! No questions asked.

This is why you need to read TOS and not go by what the ad says..

i use BTSync a lot, so i always ask if it's ok

• raza19 said: check this out :)

I think it's simple Math. If you are suspended for 45 days from helpdesk, you cannot ask for a refund either way :P

LOL!

Thanked by 2darkshire raza19
  • Please don't abuse our helpdesk. We have policies against the following:

2.  Submitting several tickets regarding a single issue/incident

Note no time limit given as to when you can re send a ticket,

So if they never response, you are SOL

Thanked by 3iSky darkshire raza19
  • @painfreepc said:

2. Submitting several tickets regarding a single issue/incident

yup its a catch-22 :)

• @painfreepc said:

2. Submitting several tickets regarding a single issue/incident

then if they never response = we got no refund or unsuspension and the uptime wasn't like 99% again :)

• DylanDylan Member
    edited January 2014

GreenValueHost said: They're not aimed towards harming legitimate clients.

Not only are you blatantly avoiding answering the fair question everyone's asking -- why are you advertising resources people can't use -- but you're sounding like a snake oil salesman in the process.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @MorningIris said:
    I opened another ticket asking suspension, their answer, I'm abusing their ticket....

@raza19 said:
    check this out :)

My First and Only ticket at greenvaluehost today 01/07/2014

OMG this is a JOKE !! hahaha.
    next thing you know greenvalue is going to charge $1 per ticket opened, and another $2 for a response probably telling you that you are "abusing" their ticket system

you guys are a bunch of dicks @GreenValueHost, y'all should be ashamed.

Thanked by 3ironhide Mark_R iSky
  • Same here, I've already got my "official warning" for the ticket abuse, they set my current cancellation request ticket to "In progress" and i still didn't get any response whatsoever.

Its not even a VPS i'm cancelling, and i asked for the cancellation because of a problem that wasn't on my end and wasn't caused by me!

• @craigb. I'm using vps for running remote desktop.
    I have many vps from many provider 7 vps of them are using remote dektop too, but never get suspended.

Suspend is no problem. but "10$ of fee" policy is not a good deal. :)

• @MorningIris isn't telling the whole truth.

We do have that policy, however the reason that we didn't handle his tickets is because he submitted ABUSE TICKETS in our technical support department. Our TECHS CANNOT handle abuse inquires. We kept notifying him that he was in violation of our helpdesk policies however he kept on submitting tickets into our tech dept. instead of our abuse department.

• @raza19 - We will only issue you a refund if you submit a ticket to our BILLING department.

• @Dylan - You should ask this question to every VPS provider in existence because every VPS provider has CPU usage policies. It's only logical. It's not hiding anything or false advertising because it's in the ToS.

• Ok then ... @GreenValueHost if i close my current ticket to management, and open another one to the correct dept. "billing", will that still count as HelpDesk Abuse? :)

• @GreenValueHost said:
    raza19 - We will only issue you a refund if you submit a ticket to our BILLING department.

Normally if I submit to wrong department, most of providers I have been with would easily help me to transfer that ticket/tickets to the correctly one without any hassle.

• @namhuy said:
    Normally if I submit to wrong department, most of providers I have been with would easily help me to transfer that ticket/tickets to the correctly one without any hassle.

+1. Pretty much customer service 101 right there. Help desk abuse is hilarious. Learn something new every day.