Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feathur Rewrite
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Feathur Rewrite

Hello everyone and happy new years!

About a month and a half ago, @BlueVM released a pretty cool panel and was very generous in its backing and support. I myself wanted to be able to build and extend on it to have more control over my company's systems and drop solusvm. However I really could not stand how it was developed. Before anyone starts yelling, it runs fine. However I am very picky with code and am very big with MVC since learning it.

So I decided to go and start a rewrite of it based on the current code. Thankfully I have a copy of PhpStorm so class re-factoring is child's play. I have gotten a good portion done already on github.

However I figured that others may be interested in a community effort to develop this, rather me do it on my own, as it would be longer otherwise.

The framework it is using is Yii 1.1.14 due to me having a year+ experience with it. At present I am merely replicating the existing UI and layout, but if anyone can design, a responsive panel would be cool :).

If anyone is interested in participating, just contact me to see what can be done. Github pull requests are welcome!

Github: https://www.github.com/pcfreak30/Yii-Feathur

Framework: http://www.yiiframework.com/doc/guide/

Current branch I am hacking away on is "development".

Comments

• Good luck! :)

• So might I ask, why you didn't feel like involving us on this crusade?

Thanked by 2agonyzt Mark_R
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2014

@BlueVM said:
    So might I ask, why you didn't feel like involving us on this crusade?

He started yesterday, so?

• SpencerSpencer Member
    edited January 2014

BlueVM said: So might I ask, why you didn't feel like involving us on this crusade?

Isnt the point of open source so people can fork it and do whatever they want with it? Get your panties out of a bunch

• @Spencer - Oh I get that... not what I was going for and it probably came off a bit harsh. More of a "so why not ask us for help?" not a "why are you taking our work?" if you get my meaning.

• @BlueVM said:
    So might I ask, why you didn't feel like involving us on this crusade?

This is my way of doing so, or I would not have pinged you in this topic. I respect the time you invested in this and never said you couldn't join in. If you want to help out on my version of this system, your welcome to. I do plan on incorporating anything new you put on your github in it as well when it comes.

Oh and for legal reasons it is AGPL. You may though want to look at https://www.github.com/pcfreak30/Feathur as I spent a few hours rewriting your API system some to be easier to expand on.

• @perennate said:
    He started yesterday, so?

I started this < a week ago and just now got to the point where I figured others may want to assist.

Also @BlueVM, it seems like your site is a bit dead due to the lack of updates and the dummy text still there. Might help to change that for PR reasons.

• This is awesome; I love Yii. If more momentum went into this to make it the mainline Feathur instead of a fork, it would be amazing.

• @BlueVM said:
    More of a "so why not ask us for help?"

One could deduce he didn't ask because he didn't need help.

• This I will no doubt follow, always had a little interest in the Yii framework, and putting it to use with Feathur will be interesting to view the outcome :)

Good initiative!