Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you do with a 32MB VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you do with a 32MB VPS?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
edited March 2012 in General

I noticed that @kujoe has a 32MB OvZ VPS:

http://www.securedragon.net/index.php?p=openvz

I'm curious what people do with that - 32/64 (so yeah, really 64), 2GB disk, 100GB bandwidth. OvZ so Linux only.

I've done lots of things with the stereotypical 128MB LEB. I know the famous article talks about static sites on a 64MB VPS...though I don't know if that was 64/128 or 32/64:

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/yes-you-can-run-18-static-sites-on-a-64mb-link-1-vps/

I'm very tempted to get one just to play around with...but suspect it'll just be one of those fun geek-out time sinks. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Comments

• Well,

• running a small site
    • running an OpenVPN
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2012

From what I've seen, the majority of our clients that have them use them for DNS, VPNs, testing scripts, and learning (the beauty of linux is you only need about 12MB to play around with command line for most distros). I personally use only our 32MB plans for my personal use because I love seeing how "lean" I can run my Linux. It's a mindset I think because as it stands right now the most powerful CPU I'll ever own for personal use is an Atom.

I was able to get XFCE4 and VNC installed on our 32MB plan but Chrome will not run on it (although I'm sure there are much lighter browsers out there).

• KuroKuro Member

I'm not sure about the older OpenVZ memory accounting, but with the RHEL6 OpenVZ kernel's memory accounting it is possible to run NGINX + PHP5 + MySQLd + WordPress in under 32MB RAM. With enough left over for a small PHP5-APC cache :)

Thanked by 2TheHackBox tux
  • @KuJoe said: It's a mindset I think because as it stands right now the most powerful CPU I'll ever own for personal use is an Atom.

The sad thing is my computer has about the processing power of an atom. Surprisingly I'm ok with it.

An Atom will do pretty much anything you want it to do except gaming. I ditched my laptops/desktops for netbooks years ago and they're my primary system. I'm currently using Windows 7 because I haven't got around to finding a new Linux distro since I gave up on Arch but I as long as I can use Grooveshark, Photoshop, WAMP, and at least 2 instances of VMWare Player at the same time I'm happy. :)

• @KuJoe said: Grooveshark,

Freaking slow

@KuJoe said: and at least 2 instances of VMWare Player

Dafuq! Virtualizing what? More Windows? :S

(Atom single core user here)

• SashiSashi Member

As said above, you could do DNS, Static webpages with nginx.. PHP is possible as well :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I succumbed to the temptation...the lean/mean fun challenge was too much to resist :-)

Plus, SD is a class act.

@yomero said: Dafuq! Virtualizing what? More Windows?

I use Fedora (GUI), Debian (CLI), Arch Linux (CLI), Puppy Linux (GUI), and Damn Small Linux (GUI). I usually have 2 Fedora instances going or 1 Fedora and 1 Arch Linux.

• @KuJoe said: I use Fedora (GUI), Debian (CLI), Arch Linux (CLI), Puppy Linux (GUI), and Damn Small Linux (GUI). I usually have 2 Fedora instances going or 1 Fedora and 1 Arch Linux.

Damn, that probably slams the CPU very hard :S
    But probably you have dual core processors u_u

• @yomero said: Damn, that probably slams the CPU very hard :S

That netbook must be really hot. You can warm up pizza on top of it

@yomero said: Damn, that probably slams the CPU very hard :S

I do have one of the dual core Atoms but the tests I run aren't very CPU intensive (at least not as intensive as when I used to do video editing).

@NanoG6 said: That netbook must be really hot. You can warm up pizza on top of it

Cooling pads are a must for anything that isn't a desktop IMO. Even though I disabled one of the fans on my current cooling pad because it was to loud. :D

• Wow @KuJoe, I'm surprised you actually get that much work done from that little thing, how much Ram does it have?

@Jeffrey said: how much Ram does it have?

2GB DDR3, had to upgrade from 1GB because of the VMs.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I have an atom-based mini-notebook and run 64-bit Windows Server and SQL Server on it. It's not blazing fast, but works fine as a personal lab. 2 CPU @ 2 threads per CPU, 2GB RAM. Acer Aspire 257/Atom N570.

• well on my 32MB VPS i'm running mocks socks5 server, teamspeak 3 server, apache, dropbox to sync the apps across other servers and my laptop for easily changing config files.

and just now I'm trying to add mysql and php.

I've been running TS3 + Mocks + Dropbox for about 3 month with no problem, personal use, tested 4 users loading 4 pages same time + about 10 users on teamspeak server + dropbox always running about 900MB of dropbox data.

~# pstree
    init-+-apache2-+-apache2
    | -apache2---26*[{apache2}] |-cron |-dropbox---18*[{dropbox}] |-kthreadd/1184---khelper/1184 |-mocks |-sshd-+-sshd---bash---pstree | |-sshd---sftp-server |-sshd---bash---top
    |-startpar
    |-syslog-ng---syslog-ng
    `-xinetd

• I use my 32mb VPS to troubleshoot infinite yum update errors

• 32 MB VPS, I've been using one VPS like that to make some money, seriously, a big amount of money.
    I only use 32 MB VPS for developing a simple website (most of them written in HTML) for some small corporation, and we all know that some corporation never want to be so busy only for updating their website for just a small changes (picture, company profile, etc), so using some CMS is out of their focus.
    So I only sell a simple website with some website management service, and yeah, 32 MB RAM is more than enough. :D

• I'd get a refund

@gubbyte said: I'd get a refund

LoL, that would be a ton of refunds. :X

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

How do you get enough IP? It is so expensive!

• @shovenose said: How do you get enough IP? It is so expensive!

Direct IP allocation from ARIN.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Good point. Then I guess it's possible ;)

• For personal proxy, and for backup using rsync.

• PROXY and VPN

• 32 MB VPS:
    SOCKS5 via ssh (to not use openvpn) + lighttpd (webdav/cgi) + ruby scripts.

Using a Zotac ZBOX HD-ID11 as my primary Desktop:

• Intel® Atom™ D510 (dual-core) (1.66 GHz)
    • Nvidia ION
    • 4 GB of RAM
    • 128 GB SSD
      Ubuntu 12.04 LTS runs without any hassle.
  • blite!

• KeithKeith Member
    edited January 2013

I've installed apache2, php5-fpm, mysql, postix & tinc on my 32MB vps from Ipxcore.

• Here I thought I was dated with my core2duo but you guys are really lowend!! I don't think I can ever get by with an atom as my main machine!!

• @earl said: I don't think I can ever get by with an atom as my main machine!!

I have an AMD E-450 as my main machine, AMD's rough equivalent with built in 3d accelerator. I can play 3d games up to Team Fortress 2 or so, and pretty much any 2d game without problem.