Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

hey need help with setting up some servers100 or something
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

hey need help with setting up some servers100 or something

skxdxskxdx Member
edited December 2013 in Help

Hello everyone.
I just signed up but have been visitings forum for long.
I need some help from you guys.

I am a student.
At my institution some company donate around 100-200 dual core 16 gb servers.
But since last few years only 10 or so servers are being used for proxy and testing purposes.
I was planning to setup some virtual machines that can be used by students.
I was planning to make 4 vms in each server( in around 20-30 ) servers. ( kvm or xen both will do ). And setup 30 openvz containers in other servers( in group of 30 or so )servers.
And setup 2-3 servers for hosting webpages for student.

We already have setup LDAP.
And there is a catch i am allowed to use only opensource softwares and i only have /28 global subnet available to me( out of which only 4-5 ips myt be available).

So the question which control panel to use for hosting( looking after zpanel or ispconfig or vestacp) and for setup of vms ( looking after promox) .

Any other suggestions or control panel to be used.

Comments

• cloudmin for virtualization / virtualmin for web control panel

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Feathur

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Try feathur, would give some feedback on how it works.

• Hey i checked out feathur but its not free for morethan 5 servers as i can see.

I am facing this same problem with xenserver by citrix it limits to 10 server

• You could use proxmox or OpenNebula.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@skxdx said:
    Hey i checked out feathur but its not free for morethan 5 servers as i can see.

I am facing this same problem with xenserver by citrix it limits to 10 server

I thought they removed the limit, and now it is free?

• @rmlhhd said:
    You could use proxmox or OpenNebula.

Proxmox is good, I don't think cloudmin lets you run openvz and kvm, looks like the free one only supports kvm and xen. You can setup some private ip's and use NAT if you only have a few public ip's available.

• @rsk said:
    I thought they removed the limit, and now it is free?

no they have limited the personal usage to 5 servers only. beyond which they consider it to be a seller.

• @sc754 said:
    Proxmox is good, I don't think cloudmin lets you run openvz and kvm, looks like the free one only supports kvm and xen. You can setup some private ip's and use NAT if you only have a few public ip's available.

i guess i will have to cancel cloudmin from the list as the policy clearly says its for one host system only.
    yes i have private ips might setup nat or a transparent proxy using squid

• @skxdx said:
    yes i have private ips might setup nat or a transparent proxy using squid

I'm using proxmox, I would recommend it.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I think that @BlueVM changed the license to something like. 'Pay if you want to support the development '

So I think that you are free to use it but best to get confirmation from @BlueVM first.

• @MikHo @BlueVM i was going to ask for that.
    i went through the code(since it was not encoded :D ) though it was easy to disable the license check but i would not want to do that since its for educational purpose .
    If it limits to 5 servers then i might move out to promox.

@BlueVM can i use the your panel on more than 5 servers.

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited December 2013

@skxdx - I'll try to explain this as simply as possible:

• It's AGPL. AGPL states that you can basically do whatever you like with it as long as the code links back to Feathur in some way. If you make changes to the code and use it on a server you have to provide a way for people to download a copy of the code (EG: publish changes to github, or package it up yourself).

• Purchasing a license from us is a way to get support from us (EG: set this up for me, this is busted), support the project and remove the requirement that you publish changes to your code. No one is required to purchase a license regardless of how many servers they have...

• If you don't purchase a license the only thing that happens is the message bellow is displayed to admins (not users, only admins):

This copy of Feathur is unlicensed. Consider purchasing a license. (It's a plain text link with no styling or flashy items... we don't like irritating messages...)

• We did that so that legally speaking if someone removed it they'd have to place a link visible to all of their users to download a copy of their source code. Most providers wouldn't want to do that, so they'd either purchase a license or they'd leave the message where it was. This is simply our way of making sure the people who profit from using Feathur help pay for it's existence.

TL;DR - It's free, there's no server maximum, you do not have to buy anything.

Thanked by 1skxdx
  • @bluevm thanks
    thats cool and sounds reasonable enough.(considering you spend so much time developing it)
    i can't provide monetary support as of now.
    Will give it a try soon.

• 200 Servers are a lot, why not clone disk or rsync the setup?

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited December 2013

@skxdx - We spent a decent amount of money testing, building and auditing it... I wouldn't have released it for free if I needed the money. I'd just prefer that people know who built it and I hope to attract people to help build and improve the project for everyone. I highly doubt I will ever make any real money from the project, but maybe the community can get a better control panel out of it.

That said I look forward to having someone test our KVM installer on older hardware.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @gani will definately clone disk once finalised which panel and other thing to setup.
    we did run a hadoop cluster with around 100 servers for some days(cloning the disk and all) and learned that our air conditioning was not enough. ;) who thought 10T of airconditioning was not enough

@Bluevm thats nice. A better control panel was definitely needed by the community.
    it is reasonable enough. i will definitely keep a link back to your domain once setup is done.

• @skxdx - Well this could be done pretty quickly then. Install one server with Ubuntu, throw the KVM installer on it, copy the key. Add the server to Feathur's master... Clone to 100 other systems. Go into PHPMyAdmin on Feathur and copy the row changing only the server name and server ip.

If you did setup 100 servers you'd be about toe to toe with us for total machines :)

• @buyvm that appears to be very easy.
    actually i wont be adding all the servers at once.
    but will setup 5-8 servers first and keep 1 server ready to be cloned to another.
    will increase the count as the demand increases.
    but i believe it will take atleast an year to reach the full capacity.
    will start working this sunday when i go back to my college.
    mind if i ping you if any problem arises?

• @skxdx - Be my guest... but it's BlueVM not BuyVM ;)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

200 servers donated and can't even donate for a project? Wow

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited December 2013

@netomx - I'm pretty sure they were donated to his university, not to him specifically. He's probably able to use the hardware, but it isn't "his" per say... Either way I'm not going to judge or try to make anyone donate... I don't know his life and I don't know his finances. If he's like most college students he's living off ramen noodles.

• @blueVm thanks for support but i might donate in future after implementation and after i get paid(if any) ;) but i cant donate enough as of now. I hate ramen noodles :( but ya i love maggi and eat them a lot and literally live of them(not due to finances but other reason). :)
    regarding sorry name got messed up.
    @netomx its not for me to decide to donate(getting funds from university) but as an individual i myt donate after testing it and everything(who wont buy beer if it works ;) ) . Even for using these server i will have go through lot of bureaucracy (believe me they ask a lot of question for a simple project in India).

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Another +1 for Proxmox VE, seems to be a great project. I'm using it on two dedis and it hasn't let me down yet (not much, at any rate).