Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[ASK]Afraid IPv6 rDNS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[ASK]Afraid IPv6 rDNS

Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
edited August 2011 in General

Does anyone knows/had an experience with afraid.org IPv6 rDNS? or does anyone knows where i can get the similar service like this? thanks :D

Comments

• dns.he.net

• Pretty much. I think they fixed their new account creation problems from a couple of weeks ago.

• fyi - almost any dns host works.

on directadmin if you can add domains, you can just add 0.0.whatever.x.x.x.ip6.arpa and just add PTR records too.

• well, i've been using dns.he.net dns and/or tunnelbroker.. but i forgot my login/password. :P i would like to see another provider for this service (got afraid and he.net, so i need more option).

• fyi - almost any dns host works.

Are we sure about that? We're talking about IPv6 here. I don't recall many registrars supporting that yet.

• justinbjustinb Member
    edited August 2011

drmike said: Are we sure about that? We're talking about IPv6 here. I don't recall many registrars supporting that yet.

IPv6 Reverse DNS is a normal PTR record. You don't need IPv6 "support" - just add a domain/zone named for example "d.e.e.d.0.7.4.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa", then a subdomain PTR named "2.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0"

I can see this running into some issues when retarded control panels think ip6.arpa isn't under your control or .arpa isn't a valid host or something equally inane, but it's pretty straightforward.

• Thanks. Was just curious. I went down the free dns page over on the wiki and saw some of them state that they didn;t support ipv6 yet.

• drmike said: Thanks. Was just curious. I went down the free dns page over on the wiki and saw some of them state that they didn;t support ipv6 yet.

I think the free dns page on the wiki is mostly forward DNS (which is AAAA)

• There are two possible issues with IPv6 support:
    1) do they support AAAA records (most do).
    2) do their DNS servers have a IPv6 address (probably what is being refered to).