Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fastest Web browser over VNC for youtube
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Fastest Web browser over VNC for youtube

Hello, i just got LEB and now reached the point where i would install web browser. Now last year i had Firefox running on my VNC setup and it ran for full 1 year, but it was very very slow. Now on my LEB the Ram is not great and Firefox new versions just keep crunching Ram more and more.

Please suggest which browser should i use to get fastest experience with youtube over VNC?

Comments

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited December 2013

Your browse speed over VNC depends on the Server Latency (aka ping)
    VNC by default delays the view too slightly, you can try editing the vnc settings to speed it up
    for example, disable compression, encryption, lower quality etc.

Optionally you can install a older version for firefox and disable updates in the settings.

EDIT:

You can try TightVNC, its the same protocol the normal VNC uses but it might be more optimized for speed.

Thanked by 1Myelin
  • Why are you using a GUI on a LEB? GUI's are heavy on the RAM, and a minimum of 1GB is my recommendation.

Additionally, playing videos over VNC is not what VNC was made for. You're basically decoding the video on the LEB, re-encoding on the LEB, then decoding on your computer. VNC was meant for words and stationary pictures.

If you want your connections to proxied you should use a SSH tunnel or of equivalent.

Thanked by 1Myelin
  • @Silvenga said:
    If you want your connections to proxied you should use a SSH tunnel or of equivalent.

Ok, here is the problem, SSH tunnel does not unblock youtube on my home connection and i am assuming that setting up a VPN would result in same. In my view VPN is no more evasive than SSH-tunnel.

• Youtube-DL + Filezilla works just fine.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Try a light remote desktop like LXDE, XFCE etc that should help ease out RAM usage and CPU usage and Chrome for the web browser should work.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Have you tried Softether VPN?

• @Myelin said:
    Ok, here is the problem, SSH tunnel does not unblock youtube on my home connection and i am assuming that setting up a VPN would result in same. In my view VPN is no more evasive than SSH-tunnel.

Then simply you are not using SSH correctly. You must proxy all connections over SSH, not just Firefox, but Adobe Flash as well.

• If your computer is a Mac, I would recommend using JollysFastVNC on the client side and tightvnc on the server. I was able to watch videos with no lag when I had that setup.

• @SpeedBus said:
    Try a light remote desktop like LXDE, XFCE etc that should help ease out RAM usage and CPU usage and Chrome for the web browser should work.

I have setup XFCE 4 on 32 bit Debian 7 and accessing via TightVNC. I will try Chrome.

• Why not use a VPN? That way you can Tunnel the connection through the LEB completely.

Thanked by 1Myelin