Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A nice backup policy using headless installation of copy.com app
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A nice backup policy using headless installation of copy.com app

ironhideironhide Member
edited December 2013 in Tutorials

We all know that we can get 22GB of free storage in copy.com (using referral code + a twit ). But many of us don't know that we can use this storage space as a nice backup space for our Low End Boxes. Here is how

1. create a new copy.com account (you can use my referral code https://copy.com?r=Tbcrni and both of us will get 5GB for free )

2. Now install a headless version of copy.com app in your linux vps. It's memory footprint is really small. And because of being headless, it can effectively run in the background using nohup

you can find a tutorial here: http://hasin.me/2013/10/02/saving-a-huge-bandwidth-cost-in-wordpress-using-headless-copy-com-linux/

1. Now run the headless version of copy.com client (notice the location of the app for 32bit and 64 bit version of OS)

2. Keep your backup files in copy app's home directory. It will be instantly synced to copy.com

That's it. After you fill up all your 20GB, just unlink this account and maybe link a new account. Your old backups will stay forever in previous copy.com account.

Now some of you may say that what happens if somehow the files are deleted from the VPS because copy.com App will sync that change. But guess what, you can undelete files anytime from copy.com :) If you are smart, it will work really well.

Hope it helps :)

Thanked by 1zephyr0

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I'm up to 75gb free from referrals. It's a perfect backup solution for my websites. I just do a cron to dump SQL in the sync folder and rsync the site files daily.

I love copy.com.

Thanked by 1ironhide
  • ironhideironhide Member
    edited December 2013

jarland said: I just do a cron to dump SQL in the sync folder and rsync the site files daily.

same here. i use scp most of the time though :)

• Is there any filesize upload limit?

edited December 2013

@Spirit Nope :)

And you can stream audio/video files from your copy storage, totally free as well :)

• Got it? :)

Thanked by 1ironhide
    edited December 2013

I mean there is no file size limit. But obviously the file size can't exceed your storage quota.

That streaming thing was just a tip :)

And thanks for using the referral. But Both of us will get the bonus only when you link a machine (I mean run copy app) :)

• Copy is the best. Thanks for the tutorial :)

Thanked by 1ironhide
  • Casius said: Thanks for the tutorial :)

Glad that it helped :)

• Ran this on CentOS 5 x86 and received an error

``./CopyConsole: error while loading shared libraries: /home/xxxxxx/copy/x86/libstdc++.so.6: ELF file OS ABI invalid

A quick google is no help. Any ideas?

• klpowell said: Ran this on CentOS 5 x86 and received an error

``./CopyConsole: error while loading shared libraries: /home/xxxxxx/copy/x86/libstdc++.so.6: ELF file OS ABI invalid

I guess this can solve your issue. See the first answer http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16620942/centos-6-libstdc-no-such-file-or-directory

Thanked by 1klpowell
  • Anyone got this to work?

http://blog.copy.com/post/56147537702/mount-read-only-copy-folders-in-mac-and-linux

If I am reading this properly I think this is saying I can mount the copy.com folder on my VPS and not actually use any space on the VPS. Is that right? I'd like to mound 30GB of video files to the VPS then make use of Plex Media Server on the VPS.

This line:

/copy/x86_64/CopyCmd cloud mount -ro

doesn't seem to do anything for me :(

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • nimdy said: Anyone got this to work?

Using it in three vps for a long time. Read the tutorial link in the main post. Also if your OS is 32 bit, then you need to run app from x86/, and for 64 bit version you should use x86_64/

• nimdynimdy Member
    edited December 2013

@ironhide said:

I've installed Copy correctly as per the link in the original post. I'm talking about the blog link I posted. The way I read this I could mount my 160GB Copy drive to the VPS (which is only 30GB) and use the media for Plex.

This is the command that the blog post suggests:

install-location/copy/x86_64/CopyCmd cloud mount -ro copy folder-path local-machine-path

This doesn't seem to do anything though as I get all the help text for CopyCmd rather than an error or a confirmation message.

Any ideas?

• @ironhide said:
    I guess this can solve your issue. See the first answer http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16620942/centos-6-libstdc-no-such-file-or-directory

Nope, Package is already installed, Thanks for the guess though.

• Anyone else able to help with th e issue I am having?