Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need two Low End Boxes for cPanel DNS Only.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need two Low End Boxes for cPanel DNS Only.

edited August 2011 in General

As the title may suggest, i'm simply looking for two reputable and reliable low end box providers that will be used for cPanel DNS only. I'm not too sure if location matters, our main servers are in Chicago and DNS is currently hosted locally. I figure it is wise to offload the DNS to external Nameservers. So how about two VPS providers in two different cities that have been around for a while, and ones you believe will continue to be around for a while.

Comments

• BuyVM and Hostigation have been around for a while and have been very stable for me.

• BuyVM is already high on the list as they seem to be doing the whole budget VM thing properly. =]

• Well, using BuyVM and me would fit your bill then since Hostigation is on the other coast. Plus I have the DNSONLY template already built ;)

• Check QuickWeb out or Ramhost. Make sure you get a 256MB vps though. One on each coast should do fine.

• Got a hostigation vps today very good! BuyVM always fantastic.

• Do you really need 256 for a dns only vps? Or is that because it's CPanel?

• root@ns101 [~]# free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           512        326        185          0          0          0
    -/+ buffers/cache:        326        185
    Swap:            0          0          0
    root@ns101 [~]# service named status
    number of zones: 1664

With the cPanel DNSONLY version, yes, you need the ram.

• Is it because of the CPanel though? I know we have 2 off site vpses that we use for DNS and, if it wasn't because they were doing other things, we could probably get away with using less than 256.

ie I don't see DNS using that much memory.

• jhjh Member

It's because of the cPanel software.

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited August 2011

If you disable mysql (or at least innodb) and apache you don't need as much unless you have a lot of zones and traffic.

@miTgiB I had a full cPanel server running and it was using about the same amount of RAM.

• @dmmcintyre3 You can't disable the web server, that is how the WHM boxes talk to the DNSONLY box on port 2087, now if you mean apache on port 80, it is not installed by default.

The ram usage on ns101 is higher because it seems to be the default resolver for most of the network too, and there are hundreds of clients doing dns lookups, if not thousands, so the cache in bind gets well over 100mb at times. I wish they would update DNSONLY to be selectable between bind and nsd as many simply do not need recursive nameservers. and nsd would be better for them while still having all the function of a cPanel DNS Cluster.

• Can anybody confirm if these guys offer cPanel DNSOnly as a template for quick install?

• camargcamarg Member
    edited August 2011

you don't need a pre-build template. it's only a couple of lines in cli. don't be lazy

cd /home
    wget -N http://httpupdate.cpanel.net/latest-dnsonly
    sh latest-dnsonly

• @VPSfan Which guys are these guys? I do provide a OpenVZ template ready to deploy, but as @camarg pointed out, it is rather trivial to setup, but the template is nice for low memory deployments.