Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to make a white-listed server for email hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to make a white-listed server for email hosting?

BartokBartok Member
edited December 2013 in Help

I need a server with white-listed IP for using as a mail server. However, when buying a server (almost any kind), the IP can be blacklisted due to abuse of other users in the network. Many IP blacklisting systems black list group of IPs in a network instead of individual IP of a spammer.

Do you have any idea, how to keep a server IP clean for a mail server?

EDIT to general comments: I have servers without email hosting, but its IP has been blacklisted because of spam from IPs in the same subnet (other servers, which are not mine).

Comments

• Simply don't send spam and you will be OK most of the time.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited December 2013

@Bartok said:
    I need a server with white-listed IP for using as a mail server. However, when buying a server (almost any kind), the IP can be blacklisted due to abuse of other users in the network. Many IP blacklisting systems black list group of IPs in a network instead of individual IP of a spammer.

Do you have any idea, how to keep a server IP clean for a mail server?

If you start a email hosting service then your IP wont stay clean
    theres always someone who will abuse the service you try to provide.

Incase someone gets your ip blacklisted you have to contact the antispam services and request removal
    i do not know how this process works entirely
    but i believe that you have to work it out with them.

Its also a good idea to apply strict limits on the service to decrease the abuse amount.

• wychwych Member
    edited December 2013

Don't send spam, dont mass send immediately and build up your IP's reputation, also use SPF & DKIM.

EDIT- Join as many anti-spam programmes as you can; it wont be easy, or just buy from providers that do that for you.

• @Bartok - I would suggest having the mailboxes/users set up on a main server and close relay all mail in/out through two separate mail gateways. This way you always have a clean IP to send outbound mail for your users. The gateways machines can also do all the spam and virus filtering taking a lot of load off the main mail server. If your users are not spamming you will not have both gateways blacklisted at the same time and should be good.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

I agree with @FrankZ, use separate IP for outgoing server, then circulate few of them. Join all possible anti spam programs and it may help you a lot. However it will be very hard to stay clean, as one user can make you really big mess.

Good luck with your new service.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2013

@rds100 said:
    Simply don't send spam and you will be OK most of the time.

Pretty much this. I've heard all the complaints and I haven't met the person who is sending mail. to people who want what they're receiving, that is ending up on a blacklist.

The exception is the mail forwarder, which deserves it's own fate. Don't forward spam.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@rds100 said:
    Simply don't send spam and you will be OK most of the time.

Your e-mails can get blocked if IPs in your range are engaged in spamming. I've seen it happen with Hotmail, Gmail recipients and others.

If you find that your e-mails are frequently sent to the spam folder and you've verified that your mail server is setup properly (hostname, RDNS match, etc), then use the Cisco SenderBase tool to see if there's spam activity within your IP range.

• We have seen this a few times.

With solid evidence usually the provider will either replace the blocked IP's or contact the relevant blacklist to clean up the block(s).

• nunimnunim Member
    edited December 2013

It can take quite awhile for upstream to be delisted, especially if it's a large block. The IP "reputation" lists are even worse, I know SingleHop has a /16 on MIPSpace for at least a month, and places like Outlook.com use their own IP reputation so even if your mail server is properly setup, it's likely your mail will end up in SPAM for awhile.

Not even mentioning all the internal lists that are extremely prone to false positives and give you little recourse in regards to delisting, i.e. Yahoo. If you have important email that always needs to arrive at its destination, like receipts, use a specialized SMTP provider, like SendGrid, MailChimp, Mandril etc..

The worst are providers who don't bounce your email but trash it. If you have your own IPs it's slightly different as you're less reliant on your upstream provider but it will still take a long time (if ever) for you to be whitelisted by major providers.