Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best CP for Email Only Hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best CP for Email Only Hosting?

I have a few dedicated servers doing nothing at the moment and want to make some money off of them.

I have been looking on forums and noticed that people are offering Email Hosting for about $2/pm

I'd like to also do this but for $5/yr instead.

I have had a look at some control panels with cPanel currently being the best.

I'd like to know if there are any email only control panels which are similar to cPanel.

Comments

• wychwych Member
    edited December 2013

mxroute is using vestacp?

EDIT- may wanna pm jarland, nvm beat to it!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Nothing with a good client facing panel that won't have the extras. That's why I manually cut out the web hosting from vesta for mxroute .

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

you may also try kloxo...

i had it set up for one of my clients for mail only

• iRedMail ?

• iRedMail looks to be good. But I couldn't understand while just briefly looking at their site: is the admin panel also free? If that so then I will give it a try.

@arieonline said:
    iRedMail ?

• Write your own, make it closed-source(java >:D)/SaaS and make profit from expensive licenses

• Good luck, I'm not sure how you're going to manage to keep your SMTP servers off the blacklists and such, without being a large operation its nearly impossible to ensure all mail goes where it should.

• @k0nsl said:
    iRedMail looks to be good. But I couldn't understand while just briefly looking at their site: is the admin panel also free? If that so then I will give it a try.

yes it is. Have been using it for my own email server. Works fine :)

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • aglodekaglodek Member
    edited December 2013

@nunim said: Good luck, I'm not sure how you're going to manage to keep your SMTP servers off the blacklists and such, without being a large operation its nearly impossible to ensure all mail goes where it should.

@rmlhhd: +1. Yep, hard enough to do running a private MX. With a public mail service, one person sending too many emails (not even a spammer per se) will pretty much get everything blacklisted for all your other clients - and you too, of course.

This said, if you are going to do this anyway, suggest you take a look at Webmin/Virtualmin with Postfix/Dovecot backend. All free, all the way. Here's Martin's great tutorial how to set it up real fast: http://lowendbox.com/blog/your-own-mail-server-with-virtualmin/

This doesn't cover the other important stuff you will need - SPF, DKIM etc. - no matter what CP and backend you decide to go with.

• I am currently testing ZPanel and Vesta CP

• @rmlhhd said:
    I am currently testing ZPanel and Vesta CP

Use virtualmin, there's nothing as good / stable / secure for free.

• aglodek said: @rmlhhd: +1. Yep, hard enough to do running a private MX. With a public mail service, one person sending too many emails (not even a spammer per se) will pretty much get everything blacklisted for all your other clients - and you too, of course.

Postfix can do rate limiting.

• @sleddog said: Postfix can do rate limiting.

Yep, Postfix can do pretty much anything you want ;) Provided you take the time to learn and configure things properly. Virtualmin on top of that helps with most admin stuff and can be customized at the client level, too (Disclaimer: haven't tried this myself yet, though ;)

• aglodek said: Virtualmin on top of that helps with most admin stuff and can be customized at the client level, too (Disclaimer: haven't tried this myself yet, though ;)

I used Webmin/Virtualmin many years ago but moved away from it. Now for my mailserver I use posfixadmin but I don't make it client accessible. I manage all domains/accounts myself, which I've found in the long-run takes up less time than cleaning up messes :)

• @sleddog said:
    Postfix can do rate limiting.

So far from what I have tested. ZPanel is the best. Good CP, WHMCS friendly. It also works with postfix :)

@nunim said:
    Good luck, I'm not sure how you're going to manage to keep your SMTP servers off the blacklists and such, without being a large operation its nearly impossible to ensure all mail goes where it should.

It's pretty easy actually. Grep is your friend.

• jarland said: It's pretty easy actually. Grep is your friend.

Would you like to elaborate on that?

@sleddog said:

Sure. You can gather trends in exim logs by running a grep for key statements. Very easy to run a cron to run a grep and email you the exim ID of a blocked mail.

• Now I can also recommend iRedMail, it works precisely as stated, without any issues so far. I've only run it for a short while after you mentioned it, but it worked perfectly out of the box. No peculiarities.
    Will do more testing on it. Thanks for recommending it :)

@arieonline said:
    iRedMail ?

• You should take a look at ISPConfig too, it's pretty good! A big advantage of this panel over the fully automated panels (zPanel, cPanel, VestaCP, etc.) is that you can install only the services you want to reduce the bloat. If you just want to host e-mails, you don't have to install all the rest (web, dns, ftp, etc). It also come with an API and support multiservers environment.

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

postfix + webmin