Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Show LET: visualize your traceroute result
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Show LET: visualize your traceroute result

Hello,

Just want to show one of my toy projects: GetTraced

It will visualize your traceroute result in the map.

Best regards

Thanked by 2kontam Spirit

Comments

• ndelaespadandelaespada Member, Host Rep

very interesting.. good job

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Does not seem to support 'mtr' text format output, which is how all sensible people do their traceroutes these days. Here's an example for you if you decide to implement it.

Host                       Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
     1. 192.168.0.254            0.0%     6    0.5   0.6   0.4   0.8   0.2
     2. 10.92.127.254            0.0%     5   25.5   7.3   1.7  25.5  10.3
     3. 109.194.168.30           0.0%     5    1.4   1.3   1.0   1.5   0.2
     4. 87.245.254.154           0.0%     5   65.1  67.2  64.9  76.0   4.9
     5. 87.245.254.153           0.0%     5   65.0  64.9  64.9  65.0   0.0
     6. 87.245.233.126           0.0%     5  114.4 114.5 114.4 114.8   0.2
     7. 195.66.225.179           0.0%     5  117.4 123.5 117.4 137.5   8.2
     8. 141.101.112.208          0.0%     5  114.9 115.0 114.9 115.1   0.1

• bookstackbookstack Member
    edited December 2013

@rm_ said:
    Does not seem to support 'mtr' text format output, which is how all sensible people do their traceroutes these days. Here's an example for you if you decide to implement it.

Thought about it, no idea how to capture the mtr output though, how did you do this?
    EDIT: this should play the trick
    mtr --report --report-cycles 10 www.google.com > google_net_report.txt

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2013

no idea how to capture the mtr output though, how did you do this?

I just run "mtr -t", wait some cycles, then press "P" to pause and copy-paste what I see.
    Can also disable rDNS resolving by pressing N before that, or by running "mtr -tn" in the first place.

• You should add numbers above each pin to help visualize the steps.

• Doesn't seem to work for ipv6

• That's nice, clean and sleek interface too. Good work so far!

• Great thanks to all the feedbacks, as a developer, I have a totally different view of the problem and here are my original roadmap:

• add oauth to allow customization
    • add sharing feature

It turns out mtr and ipv6 are more desired then. :-)

• Very nice, will share this. :P

• Very cool!

Just a note, the text area isn't mobile friendly as in it doesn't resize, while the rest of the site is mobile friendly :)

• @ATHK said:
    Very cool!

Just a note, the text area isn't mobile friendly as in it doesn't resize, while the rest of the site is mobile friendly :)

Mobile is never first-class citizen in this case, I could not image the mobile user have the access of traceroute or mtr, or will take extra miles to type in.

• I don't quite understand that statement..

I have a SSH app on my iPhone I can easily SSH in to a box and run a trace route, copy and paste the results of that into your website.. Why is that not "first-class"?

• nice!

• @ATHK said:
    I don't quite understand that statement..

I have a SSH app on my iPhone I can easily SSH in to a box and run a trace route, copy and paste the results of that into your website.. Why is that not "first-class"?

Never thought about this user case: I think the traceroute and hist friends are not available in the mobile device.

• You don't seem to understand that I'm not doing a trace route from my mobile.. I am SSHing from a mobile APP to my VPS....

• charliecharlie Member, Host Rep

Hi!

Are this tool use Geoip database?

Because it say xe100-4.RT.IRX.VIE.AT.retn.net (87.245.233.218) in UK

• How else do you want it to pick up locational data?

The bulk of retn's blocks are registered to Uk, and thus that's what it shows.

You could try parsing getaddrinfo() output for IATA/ICAO codes for further accuracy, if you so wished.

• Is this going to be a paid service? If not, any chance of having it open sourced?

• @ATHK said:
    You don't seem to understand that I'm not doing a trace route from my mobile.. I am SSHing from a mobile APP to my VPS....

This isn't an issue. Stop trying to make it an issue.

• @charlie said:
    Hi!

Are this tool use Geoip database?

Because it say xe100-4.RT.IRX.VIE.AT.retn.net (87.245.233.218) in UK

It uses the free GeoIPLiteCity database in the multiverse repository of Ubuntu. There is a more recent free db with more accuracy I assume, but no python binding yet.

• @Magnittude said:

Sorry I wasn't trying to make it an issue the OP just didn't seem to understand my post that's all...

• I'd be concerned about the fact that the demo can't decide which direction to go...

• This is a good exercise to triage the feature request, something I want to pursue as a product manager. :-)

• how to post data to your script ? will be interrested posting result of our lg to your page

• @iconvergence said:
    how to post data to your script ? will be interrested posting result of our lg to your page

Can you elaborate? My guess is you want a RPC like feature so:

1. POST www.gettraced.com/tr
      .. the content

2. The service returns you a token, and you can reference it later for rendering?

• Super necro (yes, I had to do it).

Anyone knows more of these tools where you put your traceroutes?

Already tried:
    http://www.pasteroute.com
    http://stefansundin.github.io/traceroute-mapper/