Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luna Node Review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Luna Node Review

jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Few hosts impress me with their offers these days. I've pretty much seen it all. Lunanode has offered a few variations of this plan if I recall, but I got in on this package because it impressed me:

Chicago KVM
1 CPU Core @ 2.0 GHz
512MB RAM
15GB Storage
1000GB Bandwidth @ 100mbit
5 IPv4
+Private networking
$3.99/m

Chicago has been an area for me where I haven’t found a host that I liked since VPS6 was in it’s good days (and yes, @Spirit, you told me so). It’s not a big need for me so it’s not like I’ve been hunting, it’s just that I don’t see much diversity here in that town. I’ve always been a fan of SingleHop, and I was impressed to see these guys offering out of their racks.

I like their focus on keeping the VPS control in the billing panel. It’s a unique interface in WHMCS, to me at least. I’ll break it down.

General tab - Basic info, set hostname, set root, re-image VM.

Network tab - List of public IPs, set rDNS

VNC info - Information to VNC into the KVM

I signed up on September 7 of this year. Downtime thus far has been 0. Current physical uptime is 49 days, as I re-imaged on that date.

root@luna:~# sh bench.sh
CPU model :  QEMU Virtual CPU version 0.14.1
Number of cores : 1
CPU frequency :  2000.068 MHz
Total amount of ram : 496 MB
Total amount of swap : 0 MB
System uptime :   49 days, 22:38,
Download speed from CacheFly: 11.1MB/s
Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 10.3MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 9.78MB/s
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 3.63MB/s
Download speed from i3d.net, NL:
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 5.59MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 2.38MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 6.86MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 6.01MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 6.82MB/s
I/O speed :  277 MB/s

One time I did contact support for a technical question about the WHMCS integrated VM control. Here’s just how quickly they responded.

Ticket opened: 17/10/2013 01:01

Ticket replied: 17/10/2013 01:04

So if you’re looking for an affordable KVM in Chicago with some solid people behind it, I don’t think you could make a better choice.

Thanked by 1hbjlee17

Comments

• Nice review - Gives me courage to buy from them :)

• Their support is superb, can't say anything else!

Thanked by 1hbjlee17
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2013

@jarland said:
    Chicago has been an area for me where I haven’t found a host that I liked since VPS6 was in it’s good days (and yes, @Spirit, you told me so).

He, he - it took me few moments to realize what you're talking about. Yea, we don't know if we don't try it by ourself sometimes. It's nice to see that you're happy with this other host - I remember circumstances when you decided to try it ;-)