Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hidden policy or what? $1 dedicated server from Codero - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hidden policy or what? $1 dedicated server from Codero

Comments

• @earl said:
    kyaky

I don't think a charge back is a good idea considering they were upfront about the promotion.. if you are having problems, why not ask them to replace the server?

Considering you have to pay full price if you cancel now, why not just keep it for two months and cancel then?

hope you did not sign up for the most expensive server the dual octa core @ $340/mo!

the network and the server performance really don't meet my needs. you are right, that one.

• kyakykyaky Member
    edited December 2013

@OkieDoke said:
    It may seem like its just a company and PayPal but you've agreed to binding ToS of which Codero and/or PayPal could pursue you for.

Thanks for your reply.
    I took a look at the policy only after they told me something important in that TOS. In promo page, it didn't have any marks like * # to tell customers there was a special policy for this promo. I admit I should always read the TOS but in this case I will not regret for doing a chargeback if they do charge me at full.

• @kyaky said: Thanks for your answer. I'm just gonna have to chargeback if this charge happens. I did kindly ask for cancellation 2 days after purchase. All I got was the policy above. but anyway, I will have to do what I need to do if they do refuse to cancel the product and insist charging me at full cost

First of all, from what you quoted here, they did not refuse to cancel the service. They gave you directions how to do this. Follow those directions, is all.

On the subject of their (IMHO, entirely reasonable) conditions pertaining to cancellation of Promotions: this applies to abuse. Your case is different. You have not taken advantage of their promotion due to technical issues. Suggest you cancel as per their instructions and then open a ticket to explain the reason for cancelling and ask them - politely - to waive the standard fee for reasons stated (short version: unable to use service as advertised). Lets see where this takes you. General Sun Tzu's rule #1: first try to win without fighting ;) This said, make sure to make a screenshot of all tickets (your messages and their replies, too) - in case they delete them! You may need this as proof in case of further legal proceedings.

Thanked by 1kyaky
  • VPNVPN Member
    edited December 2013

@TarZZ92 said:
    I know they don't, read what i said properly. I said "if" meaning if it was a UK company.

I understand that, I was merely removing the idea from the discussion before it became a viable option to the OP.

@TarZZ92 said:
    I disagree. it's all about profit in this case. nothing to do with abuse etc.

I would say it is about abuse leading to the decline of profit. They are dependent of each other.
    If Codero purchased more servers to keep stock levels up after a flurry of purchases and then customers just started cancelling after a month then they will be investing in new hardware that is not financially viable to operate.

@TarZZ92 said:
    Maybe years ago, these day's it's fully automatic.

True, but my above point stands in that replacing sold stock with new stock costs money and even more so when the sold stock comes back again with no fault.

Thanked by 1kyaky
  • @TarZZ92 said:
    Why did you signup for them? those fees are a complete rip-off. infact it's theft.

I wasn't thinking $1 promo trial would casue this much problem. I didn't read the TOS in the first place

• @kyaky said:
    I took a look at the policy only after they told me something important in that TOS. In promo page, it didn't have any marks like * # to tell customers there was a special policy for this promo. I admit I should always read the TOS but in this case I will not regret for doing a chargeback if they do charge me at full.

If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that you only looked at the ToS because they told you to in your support ticket. You're also saying that there was no indication marker like an asterisk to tell you that there was a special policy for it?

Well firstly, you should always look at the ToS before a purchase. I have said this enough times in this thread as have other people. Secondly, had you read the ToS - which you presumably had to agree to by ticking a box on your order page, then you would of seen that its a standard policy that applies to ALL discounts.

Thanked by 1kyaky
  • @kyaky said:
    I wasn't thinking $1 promo trial would casue this much problem. I didn't read the TOS in the first place

If you did not read the TOS, at least look over the AD carefully before you make a purchase.. you know the saying, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is..

Just curious which server did you get? how much would you have to pay them if you cancel?

• @OkieDoke said:
    Well firstly, you should always look at the ToS before a purchase. I have said this enough times in this thread as have other people. Secondly, had you read the ToS - which you presumably had to agree to by ticking a box on your order page, then you would of seen that its a standard policy that applies to ALL discounts.

I know there are many "I should" "I could". but the fact is "I didn't". so I have to figure out a way to solve the problem when "I didn't"

• @earl said:

This dual Xeon E5.

oh boy...

Thanked by 1earl
  • @kyaky said:
    oh boy...

Holy geez! I can see why you don't want to pay..

• TarZZ92 said: Why is it? No customer can read every bit of TOS. its stupid. no one does. and it's hardly Fraud. If that was in the UK they would have had to cancel anyway. under DSR

My advice stands.

Oh, you've got that so wrong. It's stupid if you DON'T read the ToS before signing up. Yes, it really is. Because that makes you end up in situations like this and makes people like you go "just do a chargeback". And that costs companies money and makes them not run these promotions anymore (or avoid payment methods like PayPal).

Basically, people like you ruin it for the majority. Now go feel guilty! ;-)

@kyaky: it seems that you're going to have to pay the full fee either way: either in your second month or when you cancel now. If you cancel now, you may save that $1. That is: if they're not nice enough to just refund you or charge you less because there are issues.

Thanked by 2kyaky Wintereise
  • kyakykyaky Member
    edited December 2013

@earl said:
    Holy geez! I can see why you don't want to pay..

I even told them before purchase that If your network and server perform good and meet my needs, I would probably switch to an E3 next month because I really don't really need dual E5. They said ok then I placed the order. I refused to provide them a photocopy of my passport/drivers license and my visa card because I thought that was crazy to give all the information away when first time dealing business with a company. They even said ok we let you in... now....umm

• emgemg Veteran

Addendum: I just went through Codero's signup screens. There is a checkbox where you agreed to their terms of service. Next to the checkbox is a link that takes you straight to the ToS page.

I note that it includes a $35 fee for chargebacks. Again, I would explain that English is not your first language, ask (beg!) for a one time exception to their cancellation policy, and promise that you will be more careful in the future.

You might try to contact someone on their executive team to explain your situation and ask for help. http://www.codero.com/company/leadership-team/

In my opinion, jumping immediately to a chargeback is nearly as impulsive as your original signup action. Take a deep breath, try connecting with their chat and other services, ask for them to escalate your appeal to senior management for a one-time exception, etc. You got yourself into your situation, take the time and effort to try and work it out first.

Thanked by 1kyaky
  • kyakykyaky Member
    edited December 2013

@mpkossen said:
    kyaky: it seems that you're going to have to pay the full fee either way: either in your second month or when you cancel now. If you cancel now, you may save that $1. That is: if they're not nice enough to just refund you or charge you less because there are issues.

Thanks for the reply. I did just open another ticket kindly asking them to cancel the product again. hope it works. I don't want that $1, I just want to cancel the product that I unsuccessfully used for 1 day and dont have to pay at full price for cancellation.

• @kyaky I do have sympathy for you on this - I know I have been very abrupt and to the point in this thread but I want to make sure other people don't fall in the same trap. I also didn't want you to jump straight into a charge back.

Like I said before and @mpkossen has just said, it would be the worst thing you could do in your current situation.

As @emg has said, your best move is to open another ticket with Codero and see if they will make an exception.

About 10 years ago, my step brother who was only 11 at the time, found a good deal for a dedicated server with Webfusion UK. I don't remember the specs fully but I remember it having 8GB RAM and 10 years ago that was amazing. The deal was to get the server for £1 for the first month and then you paid for it annually after that.

He signed ME up to this offer and committed me to paying £2499 (£249.99 a month with 2 months for free as per annual billing). I obviously couldn't afford this as I was only 16 and had only just got a job!

I pleaded with them in an email, explained the situation and sure enough as they could see that I was being honest and that it was a genuine oversight by my step brother they cancelled it without charge. They even refunded the £1!

• OkieDoke said: About 10 years ago, my step brother who was only 11 at the time, found a good deal for a dedicated server with Webfusion UK. I don't remember the specs fully but I remember it having 8GB RAM and 10 years ago that was amazing. The deal was to get the server for £1 for the first month and then you paid for it annually after that.

He signed ME up to this offer and committed me to paying £2499 (£249.99 a month with 2 months for free as per annual billing). I obviously couldn't afford this as I was only 16 and had only just got a job!

I pleaded with them in an email, explained the situation and sure enough as they could see that I was being honest and that it was a genuine oversight by my step brother they cancelled it without charge. They even refunded the £1!

Exactly. Companies can be very kind about this and it works out well for them. However, they usually do make costs setting up that dedicated server. So it's completely valid if they do charge you something, especially on deals like this.

@kyaky: What I'm trying to say is: you could get lucky, but don't be mad at them when you don't.

• @OkieDoke said:
    kyaky I do have sympathy for you on this - I know I have been very abrupt and to the point in this thread but I want to make sure other people don't fall in the same trap. I also didn't want you to jump straight into a charge back.

Like I said before and mpkossen has just said, it would be the worst thing you could do in your current situation.

As emg has said, your best move is to open another ticket with Codero and see if they will make an exception.

About 10 years ago, my step brother who was only 11 at the time, found a good deal for a dedicated server with Webfusion UK. I don't remember the specs fully but I remember it having 8GB RAM and 10 years ago that was amazing. The deal was to get the server for £1 for the first month and then you paid for it annually after that.

I understand exactly what you mean. I know you are trying to help and tell people beware of this similar issue in the future. Appreciated

• kyakykyaky Member
    edited December 2013

@mpkossen said:
    kyaky: What I'm trying to say is: you could get lucky, but don't be mad at them when you don't.

I understand, thanks. stay cool and wait for their answer. but I also have to prepare for the bad result and bad way to solve the problem which you don't like. I don't like the worst way to solve the problem too, I never did.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Everyone should read the ToS/AUPs, BUT, 90% of them say they do not make any guarantee the product will work and basically say they have all the rights and you have none except to pay in time or in advance.
    So basically, if all companies say we will sell you something that will not work and you have to pay us not only the price, but also fines if you dont like it, then nobody should host with anybody as I said before.
    There are such things as abusive clauses, when you give 100% guarantee, you cannot say in ToS that it does not apply to anything, if you do, you should not use that against the customers, only as a last resort against fraudsters trying to sue you.

Thanked by 1kyaky
  • Did you not the see Southpark when one of them forgot to read the iTunes EULA?

If the product was not delivered correctly, then sure it is a little stretched to headline "no contracts" and then have a penalization clause essentially making you liable for the first month in event failed delivery. However the vagueness of "crashing when installing some software." would lead me to believe it's another no-idea user, did you attempt to debug the problem, eliminate connectivity (run install in screen/tmux) or review logs?

Thanked by 1kyaky
  • @nonuby said:
    Did you not the see Southpark when one of them forgot to read the iTunes EULA?

If the product was not delivered correctly, then sure it is a little stretched to headline "no contracts" and then have a penalization clause essentially making you liable for the first month in event failed delivery. However the vagueness of "crashing when installing some software." would lead me to believe it's another no-idea user, did you attempt to debug the problem, eliminate connectivity (run install in screen/tmux) or review logs?

I wouldn't bother to debug this one when the script works on different servers from different providers but not this one. I wouldn't pay for $5 for each reboot $50 for reinstallation. I admit I didn't read the TOS. That was all.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • aglodekaglodek Member
    edited December 2013

@kyaky said: Thanks for the reply. I did just open another ticket kindly asking them to cancel the product again. hope it works. I don't want that $1, I just want to cancel the product that I unsuccessfully used for 1 day and dont have to pay at full price for cancellation.

LOL! Why not follow simple instructions?

"6.1. IF YOU WISH TO CANCEL ANY OF YOUR CODERO SERVICES (A) YOUR ACCOUNT MUST BE PAID IN FULL AND BE IN GOOD STANDING AND (B) YOU MUST PROVIDE AT LEAST 7 DAYS NOTICE TO CODERO BEFORE CANCELLING THE CODERO SERVICE. ALL CANCELLATION INSTRUCTIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED THROUGH SERVERPORTAL.COM FOLLOWING THE “CLICK TO CANCEL” LINK ON THE SERVICE PAGE OF THE CODERO SERVICE YOU WISH TO CANCEL. BECAUSE CANCELLATIONS ARE AUTOMATED, ONLY CANCELLATIONS SUBMITTED IN THIS MANNER WILL BE ACCEPTED AND BE EFFECTIVE TO CANCEL YOUR CODERO SERVICE."

First follow instructions on how to cancel (read above!), then open a ticket with reference to that cancellation - done according to instructions - and explain the situation...

Insisting in doing things your way paves the way to their refuting that you have ever cancelled the service. You may even become liable for one more month of service!

• @aglodek said:
    Insisting in doing things your way paves the way to their refuting that you have ever cancelled the service. You may even become liable for one more month of service!

Please don't ask me to do what I've done. I did follow the instruction for cancellation. They just ignored the request because 10 in TOS which ask for a full payment also need to be done. read the whole story before make this comment please.

• eLohkCalbeLohkCalb Member
    edited December 2013

TarZZ92 said: Maybe years ago, these day's it's fully automatic.

Automatic = Money invested to make it automatic. If it's manual, even if it's a click on the screen, there's manpower involved. So most of the time the term automatic cannot be read as "free-of-charge".

Thanked by 1kyaky
  • Say "No contract" but point to ToS and won't let you cancel means false advertisement. (1 strike)
    Refuse to cancel. (2nd strike) Document your communication and forward it to your bank

2nd, submit a complaint to BBB

Thanked by 1kyaky
  • VPNVPN Member
    edited December 2013

@dnwk said:
    Say "No contract" but point to ToS and won't let you cancel means false advertisement. (1 strike)
    Refuse to cancel. (2nd strike) Document your communication and forward it to your bank

2nd, submit a complaint to BBB

'No contract' merely means that the customer is not tied in for a set term.

The ToS however is conditions on which Codero operates and they are in their right to force you to agree to that still.

I don't have a contract for Xbox Live or PSN but I still had to agree to the ToS and AUP to ensure the services provided are not abused.

As stated previously in this thread many times, the problem was caused by the OP not reading the ToS or AUP (@kyaky, I'm not bitching about you for not reading them but just explaining the situation to @dnwk).

There is no point wasting the time of BBB when Codero have legally done nothing wrong.

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited December 2013

@OkieDoke said:
    There is no point wasting the time of BBB when Codero have legally done nothing wrong.

I know ToS thing. But if a company try to encourage customer think otherwise by deceptive advertising, then it is a reason to void any ToS. You can't ask people to sign a contract while telling them something totally different from the paper and then say you did not read the contract. This is how the financial crisis started. Banks selling products using deceptive advertising and then blame the customer not reading the contract.

Second, In what world where cancelling service is an abuse?

• @dnwk said:
    I know ToS thing. But if a company try to encourage customer think otherwise by deceptive advertising, then it is a reason to void any ToS. You can't ask people to sign a contract while telling them something totally different from the paper and then say you did not read the contract. This is how the financial crisis started. Banks selling products using deceptive advertising and then blame the customer not reading the contract.
    Second, In what world where cancelling service is an abuse?

Its not deceptive advertising though. Codero have a tick box on their order pages linking to the ToS asking you to agree to it. That is BEFORE you have placed the order. Therefore by ticking the box you agree to those terms contract or no contract. Terms of Service is NOT a contract.

In regards to abuse, again as stated many times in this thread (did you even read it all?), although server provisioning may be automatic now there is still a level of cost involved in bringing a server online and then having to resell it again so soon as a second hand server.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

OkieDoke said: Terms of Service is NOT a contract.

That is interesting. So what legal basis do you think the ToS has ?

Thanked by 1tux
This discussion has been closed.