Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NoIP vs DynDNS ? (SSH w/o Portforward)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NoIP vs DynDNS ? (SSH w/o Portforward)

GaNiGaNi Member
edited December 2013 in Help

Was looking for a light dynamic DNS for my macbook so I could keep track of the book when it's lost or remotely access it.

Over the time no-ip seems to have been improved(by the looks of the site and client) but some people still prefer DynDNS over No-IP. Would like to know what other's prefer and why.

Secondly, has any one able to successfully connect to their mac's remotely yet? Would also like to know more about it.

Comments

• Dyndns stopped offering their free services a long time ago.

• Don't you use an application like find my iPhone on icloud.com

• @Rapta said:
    Don't you use an application like find my iPhone on icloud.com

As I mentioned, my primary function also includes SSHing the book.

@Maurice

Would like to know if there are any alternatives.

• smansman Member
    edited December 2013

You can still get free dns from dyndns. You just have to renew it manually every 30 days. Not sure if new sign ups can do it by my existing account still can.

Looking at the noip site it looks like the only way you can get free dns is if you change the domain name every 30 days.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

1+ for dyndns

• How are you going to overcome the need for a port forward in most situations?

I have mine always on a VPN so I can get at it from anywhere + tunnel ipv6.

• I use OVH. You have free DynDNS if you have at least one domain registered there.

• I was a long time user of dyndns, but the changes their made with their free service motivated me to do my own dynamic dns service. If everything goes fine, it will be available for public beta in ~ 2 weeks. Let me know if you would be interested and I'll let you know on LET.

• cloromorphocloromorpho Member
    edited December 2013
  • skaska Member
    edited December 2013

Use xname.org. You get a full dns-management for all your domains, and you can also convert any of your (sub-)domains into a dynamic domain.

• Buy a domain and use cloud flare + curl to CF to update the IP that's what I do for my home server works a treat, corn job setup to grab IP and push to CF.

I grabbed a free .ml IP from freenom

Can supply script if needed.

• GaNiGaNi Member
    edited December 2013

@tehdan said:
    How are you going to overcome the need for a port forward in most situations?

I have mine always on a VPN so I can get at it from anywhere + tunnel ipv6.

Is it possible to to ssh without port forwarding, because this seems to be a big hurdle.

If it's possible to Teamview a computer why not SSH without port forwarding?

@ATHK said:
    Buy a domain and use cloud flare + curl to CF to update the IP that's what I do for my home server works a treat, corn job setup to grab IP and push to CF.

I grabbed a free .ml IP from freenom

Can supply script if needed.

@dannix said:
    I was a long time user of dyndns, but the changes their made with their free service motivated me to do my own dynamic dns service. If everything goes fine, it will be available for public beta in ~ 2 weeks. Let me know if you would be interested and I'll let you know on LET.

Sure go ahead :)

• @GaNi It's actually quite simple to replicate it uses a free whats my ip type site to grab the external IP address and just curls using CF's API, I also have it set up to notify me via boxcar.io which does push notifications to my iPhone each time it's updated.

Anyway.. I am at work, the server isn't on and I haven't backed it up to Dropbox .. doh! I'll get it in t minus 4 hours or so.

If you are interested in doing it, I would suggest setting up CF now as it can sometimes take awhile especially on new domains.

• emgemg Veteran

See this thread, which covers the same topic:

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/14100/can-you-recommend-a-good-free-dynamic-dns

I signed up for no-ip, but then learned that they have the same 30-day renewal policy (yuck!!). I let it expire by ignoring the renewal notices, but I noticed that my dynamic IP is still updating anyway. I do not know how long that will last.

• I am using ClouDNS.net

• @GaNi team viewer, back to my mac etc all work in the same way to bypass nat - and its similar to what I suggested. To get around the need for a port-forward on the local router you install a client application on your mac which makes an outgoing connection to a 3rd party server. When you need remote access you connect to the 3rd party server, and onto your client via the connection initiated by the client software (at least at first...).

Trouble is, assuming someone is dumb enough not to wipe your stolen laptop ASAP but smart enough to disable team viewer / back to my mac, these solutions won't work.

I do something similar with a backgrounded openvpn instance, and connect it into a VPS. You can't see anything about it from the GUI, so I really can't imagine anyone smart enough to figure this out, but dumb enough not wipe my laptop should it ever get stolen.

I imagine the advice 'look for these programs an delete them' might well propagate through the community of laptop nicking scumbags, but opening shells and looking at the output of ps/netstat/ifconfig hopefully a bit beyond them :)

• `

!/bin/bash

IP=$(curl http://ipecho.net/plain)

curl -d "email=BOXCAREMAIL" \
    -d "&notification[from_screen_name]=IP UPDATED" \
    -d "&notification[message]=$IP" \
    http://boxcar.io/devices/providers/BOXCARAPPNUM/n$

curl -s \
    -F "a=DIUP" \
    -F "u=aCLOUDFLAREUSERNAME" \
    -F "tkn=TKN" \
    -F "ip=$IP" \
    -F "hosts=DOMAINHERE" \
    https://www.cloudflare.com/api.html
    exit 0
    `

Thanked by 1GaNi
  • VPNVPN Member
    edited December 2013

@GaNi said:
    Is it possible to to ssh without port forwarding, because this seems to be a big hurdle.

If the remote device connects to the internet through a router then the router will need to be setup to forward port 22 (or whatever other port you may have changed SSH to) to the devices internal IP address which would vary from router to router depending on manufacture and how the LAN IP ranges are configured.

I personally use DynDNS. You have to login every 30 days but that's not a problem.

• GaNiGaNi Member
    edited December 2013

@ATHK said:
    `

!/bin/bash

IP=$(curl http://ipecho.net/plain)

curl -d "email=BOXCAREMAIL" \
    -d "&notification[from_screen_name]=IP UPDATED" \
    -d "&notification[message]=$IP" \
    http://boxcar.io/devices/providers/BOXCARAPPNUM/n$

curl -s \
    -F "a=DIUP" \
    -F "u=aCLOUDFLAREUSERNAME" \
    -F "tkn=TKN" \
    -F "ip=$IP" \
    -F "hosts=DOMAINHERE" \
    https://www.cloudflare.com/api.html
    exit 0
    `

Possible to update only the sub domain?

@OkieDoke said:
    I personally use DynDNS. You have to login every 30 days but that's not a problem.

I heard that it could be possible using "reverse ssh" or by tunneling, because it's obvious if my laptop was stolen, the person's router would not have port 22 forwarded.

• Should be check out the API :)

• @GaNi ssh tunnelling is just a variation on the theme - you're not going to get away from having to run something on your mac that makes a connection out of the NAT, to somewhere that you can get back in from.

The only solution I can think of without a client initiated persistent collection is to have something on your mac try to open a port forward with uPnP. Won't work in a wide range of networks though.

• GaNiGaNi Member
    edited December 2013

@tehdan said:
    GaNi ssh tunnelling is just a variation on the theme - you're not going to get away from having to run something on your mac that makes a connection out of the NAT, to somewhere that you can get back in from.

The only solution I can think of without a client initiated persistent collection is to have something on your mac try to open a port forward with uPnP. Won't work in a wide range of networks though.

Is there way to forward ports using uPnP w/o java? (I found one in SF). Also found https://github.com/formigarafa/robotito which seem to use jabber services and work behind NAT.

or perhaps connect using IP (similar to Teamviewer)