Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM style VPSs but in Europe - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM style VPSs but in Europe

2»

Comments

• Ok, do they start your server at a fixed time of day? If so - Just put a cron job which runs 2 minutes later and shuts it down.
    If you want it up - start it from the control panel and then login and disable the cronjob.

• @rds100: there should be no need for that. Please raise a ticket and we'll look into it.

Thanked by 1kylix
  • yomeroyomero Member
    edited September 2011

rds100 said: Ok, do they start your server at a fixed time of day? If so - Just put a cron job which runs 2 minutes later and shuts it down.

If you want it up - start it from the control panel and then login and disable the cronjob.

Also, you can rely on the SolusVM API if you want, I don't know how much features you can handle with it, but I suppose that you can manage the boot and shutdown of your machine with a cronjob or script from another machine

• @kylix you can probably turn off the networking and when you need the VPS again, you can connect to it via the SolusVM panel console and enable the network interface.

@maxexcloo still expensive

• kylixkylix Member
    edited September 2011

you can probably turn off the networking and when you need the VPS again, you can connect to it via the SolusVM panel console and enable the network interface.

Sure. That even takes more time and is even more ineffective when I just want the VPS to be off. I can also start making 30 turn-arounds, pray to the spaghettimonster, drink buttermilk and jump around my yard when I can also just take SolusVM and switch it off via one click. If I need it again I just click and its on again. Time saving. ;-)

• @kylix
    more time? its 2 commands, 1 to disable and 1 to enable + you don't need to wait for VPS to boot. You can left it pretty much where you stopped working. I was just trying to suggest something good. no offense.

• kylixkylix Member
    edited September 2011

@pingo: No offense. But getting the console to work is kinda impossible. Or how do I get to know the password?

console

Besides the fact that it takes about 1 minute to load the console, then loggin in, etc. Its a nice idea, but it takes more steps and time then simply switching on/off.

• Seems that you don't trust in your own knowledge about how to secure your machines

Been doing this for more years than some of the providers here have been born and I don't trust my own knowledge.

One of the reasons why I have a third party service doing support. We catch each other's mess ups.

• So, you can just use SSH and not the freaking solus applet? Also, you can change the console password... :|

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @kylix the password for me is root's, despite the 6 characters long stars in the screenshot and you can even set it too. It loads the console at me in few seconds. Well suit yourself what is faster for you :)

@yomero i was talking about turning off the networking, how are you gonna SSH into that from your client machine? The only way is SolusVM console, to turn on the networking. Or restarting the whole server again in SolusVM panel.

• No, the vzconsole is an SSH session to the physical node, as the details are showed in solus... just try ¬_¬

• Pain in the ass to keep starting it and stopping it. Just firewall everything off, so it can't even be accessed by anyone but you. That's what I do to my test boxes.

• kylixkylix Member
    edited September 2011

Pain in the ass to keep starting it and stopping it.

Well, I'm quite fine with just clicking "stop" and "start". Actually, it takes about 5 seconds to be up.

Just firewall everything off, so it can't even be accessed by anyone but you.

I firewall my VPS but I'm rather comfortable by closing a windows instead of letting it open and putting a grill in front of it when I'm not at home. In the end its just me being a bit paranoid about security. But I don't want to be in a situation where I'm unable to react because of work when my hobby-VPS gets hacked. :)