Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

digicube.fr cancellation - is this serious? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

digicube.fr cancellation - is this serious?

2»

Comments

• Let's add a real snail to the mail. Might as well give them an extra present.

• @concerto49 said:
    Let's add a real snail to the mail. Might as well give them an extra present.

They are French so it'll probably be received well ;)

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • You need to install mailman XD

Thanked by 1Makenai
  • @johnlth93 said:
    So, i got a digicube 8Eur dedi couple weeks ago.

So i was thinking not to renew the next month (cancel it) and hence i go around their website and seem that in order to cancel it one must send a letter (LETTER!!!) to their address for it.
    Sending a letter is not a big deal but why would that needed? Can't an email take care of it? It's just felt so troublesome for me.

as the customer service told you it's a registered letter, not only a simple letter. So you have to pay quite more than the price for the regular stamp.
    That will be overruled in court. It makes no difference what they put in their rules page, because in France law comes first. Notice well: the cancellation method, not the cancellation period.
    Many online services in France do like digicube, it's simply a remain from older days but still in use very often when the business isn't dealing with a significant amount of foreign customers and the locals don't complain enough about it. So one must read carefully the CGV (Conditions Générales de Vente).

It doesn't help now, but the workaround, which I use among others, for a subscription to one of the main national french paper online edition (same conditions: cancellation by snail mail) is to use virtual credit cards. Entropay.com VISA numbers do work very well. Fill the virtual card with only the needed amount. Pay with the virtual CC. When you want to end the service, just let the card empty and the subscription will be cancelled by lack of payment. And it works both ways: they are not going after you for a cheap server, nor risk to have their silly cancellation conditions revoked by the court in doing so.
    You can also use some temporary email just for that account. Even random fake personal data.
    (Completely legal: virtual CC with fake names is completely legal, because your real data is stored, as per legal requirements, on the CC issuing bank (Entropay) and will be provided by the bank in case of court order in a criminal enquiry. Moreover Entropay is one of these offshore british banks based on some edgy jurisdiction like Malta or Gibraltar, all parts of the british empire, but with yet an address and registration in the CIty, London, with has a special semi-offshore status.
    In fact a virtual CC is a safety for the customer, because it works both ways: one can't be sure that a merchant isn't a scam, so virtual CC and fake personalia provides good protection. )

By european laws, telecoms and online services dealing with webhosting and servers are required to keep customer's data, under the excuse of preventing illegality and terrorism (ding! NSA is recording....ECHELON was triggered...), so some providers will run some sort of verification, like matching geographic records for connection IP/provided address/bank data. Sometimes it's for fraud protection. Some providers overdo it, like for instance Prometeus. Some don't. It's probable digicube don't. Their snail mail cancellation routine is only a remain from old days french way to do things.

Anyway you are probably stuck now with two more months rental. Even if email cancellation was accepted you can't overrule their 40 days period.

• @abravo said:
    Anyway you are probably stuck now with two more months rental. Even if email cancellation was accepted you can't overrule their 40 days period.

To be honest, i would be fine with the 40 days. It's the mess that i hate, not the cost. It's doesn't cost much anyway.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

abravo said: Some providers overdo it, like for instance Prometeus.

Not many providers are based in Italy... Not many providers have been raided 10 times in 2 years due to cheap VPS hosting...
    Trust me, you dont want to be Prometeus in this case.