Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusVM SMTP isn't working
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusVM SMTP isn't working

Hello Guys,

I just purchased SolusVM for doing some tests . So I just wanted to put my smtp settings into the smtp tab and press save . After login as a normal client I received an email but using the mail() function that is using sendmail . I also tried to replaced the phpmailer php file with some newer ones but its still not working . I already contacted solusvm support but they're too slow . So anyone have an idea why its not working and how I could fix that ?

Thank You in advance !

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2013

Because.... reasons.

With the overwhelming amount of information you have provided here is what I think could be wrong:

1) The smtp server address you entered is wrong

2) The smtp username you entered is wrong

3) The smtp password you entered is wrong

4) The server you have the master hosted on is blocking smtp traffic

5) The smtp server is blocking your solusvm IP

6) The MTA is not correctly installed on your solusvm master

7) It hates you.

When you have ruled all of those out and have checked your MTA logs and applied some troubleshooting logic to your findings I suspect you will either have a case for solusvm to look in to this as it 'could' be a problem with solusvm if not you will have found the reason or have more information to share so we can help.

How can you fix it? no idea until you tell us what is broken.

Thanked by 1Saiku
  • It's broke. Send it back for warranty repair.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Because.... reasons.

With the overwhelming amount of information you have provided here is what I think could be wrong:

1) The smtp server address you entered is wrong

2) The smtp username you entered is wrong

3) The smtp password you entered is wrong

4) The server you have the master hosted on is blocking smtp traffic

5) The smtp server is blocking your solusvm IP

6) The MTA is not correctly installed on your solusvm master

7 It hates you.

I tested my smtp server configuration and its working with some email clients .
    I don't think the smtp server is blocking the master ip because I can send an email using the phpmailer script using an extern script . MTA ? It should work without "MTA" ( I dont even know what MTA is ) because the phpmailer script will create a socket connection to the smtp server so MTA is probably not used .

7) Yes it hates me -_-

• @AnthonySmith

Probably No. 7 Software like SolusVM hates everyone.

"I dont even know what MTA is"

Nailed it :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message_transfer_agent

• duyan13duyan13 Member
    edited November 2013

I done RE on SolusVM and I couldn't see any code snippet that is configuring smtp ?
    require( "../includes/mail.php" ); ( ); $mail->Mailer = "mail"; $mail->Subject = stripslashes( $mtq[subject] ); $mail->From = $cemail; $mail->FromName = $cname; $mail->AddAddress( $sdata[emailaddress], $sdata[firstname]." ".$sdata[lastname] ); $mail->Body = $message; $mail->Send( );

@Jack said:
    No AnthonySmith SMTP with Solus is broken...

It sends login notifications and password reminders via PHP Mail and Mass emails via SMTP.

Oh right, I must have the only working copy then, my mistake.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

On your SMTP server, check the MTA logs. If it is reaching the server at all, the logs will be there. For example, exim, /var/log/exim_mainlog.

• I am using paid zoho email so thats not possible to check that ! But I already tested it using the phpmailer script and its working xD ...

edited November 2013

please run

chkconfig --list | grep sendmail | awk '{print $5}'

And let us know the results.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@duyan13 said:
    I am using paid zoho email so thats not possible to check that ! But I already tested it using the phpmailer script and its working xD ...

Make sure to throw the IP in your SPF record.

• The Output is 3:on .

edited November 2013
    tail -n 50 /var/log/maillog | grep -o 'accepted for delivery'

• > tail -n 50 /var/log/maillog | grep -o 'accepted for delivery'
    > 

accepted for delivery
    accepted for delivery
    accepted for delivery
    accepted for delivery
    accepted for delivery
    accepted for delivery
    accepted for delivery
    accepted for delivery
    accepted for delivery
    accepted for delivery

• smansman Member
    edited November 2013

Sigh,

Php mailer and smtp mailer are 2 completely separate things if I recall correctly. php mailer is just a freely available script people throw into their php apps. It does not need anything installed in Linux such as sendmail or postfix in order to send email. SMTP mailer is the exact opposite. It does not need anything in PHP other then the hooks to redirect the email message to Linux sendmail or postfix.

If I understand your broken english sentences correctly you have php mailer working but not SMTP mailer.

So now that we established it has nothing to do with Solus according to your explanation we check if it's working on linux.

From linux command line and assuming you have linux 'mail' client installed send an email message.

echo testing | mail -s "test mail" [email protected]

Did you get it? If yes it's your Solus SMTP configuration. If no it's your Linux SMTP configuration. Also of course it could be that your receiving email server is rejecting it or sending it to spam folder. But you already checked all that right?

• Okay, the mail() option is working fine but if I am using the smtp one its still using the mail() option one ( because of the mail headers ) . I tried using a php script that is using the phpmailer that solusvm is also using and it's working fine . But anyway SolusVm Support just answered I hope they can help me -_-....

• smansman Member
    edited November 2013

@duyan13 said:
    Okay, the mail() option is working fine but if I am using the smtp one its still using the mail() option one ( because of the mail headers ) . I tried using a php script that is using the phpmailer that solusvm is also using and it's working fine . But anyway SolusVm Support just answered I hope they can help me -_-....

My fault for wasting my time giving advice that would be ignored. Best of luck.