Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linode 2GB -vs- Ramnode 4GB? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linode 2GB -vs- Ramnode 4GB?

2»

Comments

• imperioimperio Member
    edited November 2013

I have 2 vps with ramnode and 6 vps with linode.Linode have advantage with offering 8 CPU cores and ramnode have advantage offering SSD.If you need cpu power go with linode, if you need much more I/O go with ramnode.They are both stable.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Frost I'm not sure what I've done to offend you, but you seem to have some bone to pick on a personal level.

Anyway, regarding your ignorance:

1 - You have no idea what our finances look like, and there is no issue with uptime related to finances or any other factor. Your assumptions there are baseless (and frankly puzzling).

2 - We don't rely on a data center to apply nullroutes. We do this ourselves in all three locations, with full control and automation built into each (as @jimpop indicated). We run our own network in the US (AS3842) with 30Gbps in Atlanta and soon to be 30Gbps in Seattle.

@Mitsuhashi said:
    Chances are Linode gets DDoSed a ton more than RamNode due to sheer size. RamNode's just a lot more transparent about which nodes are getting DDoSed. And that transparency is a major plus factor to me.

Right, I've considered just not posting anything about DDoS to Twitter but I'd rather have people know what is going on than just let packet loss occur without explanation. Thankfully with RamNull in place, my posts are less frequent (and I sleep a bit more).

• GuanYuGuanYu Member
    edited November 2013

@jimpop said:
    RamNull was developed and implemented by RamNode

This damn thing nullroute random IPs from NL subnets atleast once or twice per month :P

You are comparing apples to oranges.

That's what Frost try to explain to you ;-) You are the one who comparing apples to oranges. Nick is doing well, especially for LOW END segment but he's still miles away from Linode. Year and half of successful benchmarking is a good enough for LEB world but that's far from mature product. Come back in 5 - 10 years and if things will be still as great or even better we will be at same page.

@jimpop said:
    I also recently dropped a Prometeus server because they still don't have IPv6 in Dallas

You did not know that Dacentec doesn't have IPv6? That's hardly a news.

Thanked by 1c0y

GuanYu said: This damn thing nullroute random IPs from NL subnets atleast once or twice per month :P

As indicated on Twitter and our website, it wasn't nullrouting randomly. If you are really unaware of what was going on, PM me and I'll fill you in.

• GuanYu said: You did not know that Dacentec doesn't have IPv6? That's hardly a news.

It is news in 2013. IPv6 has been available for well over 10 years. That means if your provider isn't offering you an IPv6 enabled network infrastructure, it's probably 10 year old routers and switches. ;-)

• GuanYuGuanYu Member
    edited November 2013

I know that some jerk or more of them target random IPs from those subnets, or atleast you said this before. It's damn scary to see those nullroute notifications for idle boxes first time.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I hate IPv6. Not the theory or the potential, just the implementations of upstream providers. Comcast just got around to adding IPv6 for me, thank you for the lower quality bandwidth that follows...

• @GuanYu said:
    It's damn scary to see those nullroute notifications for idle boxes first time.

Really? You are aware that the Internet is not a safe-haven, right?

• Not trying to recommend one or the other..

Linode 1GB $20/mo plan (4HR free trial) at Tokyo

CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 0 @ 2.60GHz
    Number of cores : 8
    CPU frequency :  2600.030 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 987 MB
    Total amount of swap : 127 MB
    System uptime :   6 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 26.5MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 4.88MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 8.34MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 51.6MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, NL:
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 181KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 12.3MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 3.77MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 6.10MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 7.11MB/s
    I/O speed :  105 MB/s

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 13.7462 s, 78.1 MB/s

Ramnode $15/yr OVZ cached

CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency :  3300.035 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 128 MB
    Total amount of swap : 128 MB
    System uptime :   41 days, 16:57,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 70.2MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 64.3MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 72.6MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 6.88MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, NL:
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 6.76MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 17.0MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 45.1MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 53.2MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 72.1MB/s
    I/O speed :  1.0 GB/s

dd if=/dev/zero of=test2 bs=16k count=64k conv=fdatasync && rm -fr iotest
    65536+0 records in
    65536+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 1.04215 s, 1.0 GB/s

• lukesUbuntulukesUbuntu Member
    edited November 2013

+1 For ramnode, i have read so many reviews on lots of SSD performance VPS hosters so i have purchase 2 from ramnode and now waiting for seattle kvm to get instock to get more. Very Fast, great support from the team, easy setup & benchmarks hard , they compare good on hostingwizard.net

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • GuanYuGuanYu Member
    edited November 2013

@jimpop said:
    Really? You are aware that the Internet is not a safe-haven, right?

Moment when fanboy have nothing to say and get intelectual...
    Sigh... Nevermind.

I've never seen the word fanboy used this many times in this short of a time period on LET without an android thread.

Thanked by 1jimpop
  • @jarland said:
    I've never seen the word fanboy used this many times in this short of a time period on LET without an android thread.

I thought fanboy was synonymous with Apple

@earl said:
    I thought fanboy was synonymous with Apple

Used to be because everyone with an Apple product would walk up to you and tell you that whatever you owned was crap and theirs was better. After years of that only happening to me by people with laggy pocket sized tablets I decided it's now the other way around :P

Thanked by 1earl
  • I am satisfied Ramnode client! :) I just see things differently that some fanboys :p

• @GuanYu said:
    I just see things differently that some fanboys :p

Aren't you the guy who just said you were scared over some tweets? :-)

• I personally would go with RamNode. Even though Linode is pretty reliable, I believe that others can provide the same level of service for at a significantly lower cost; all you're really paying for with Linode is the name. I have been with RamNode now for a few months and I haven't had any issues beyond a minor hiccup with IPv6. Additionally, @Nick_A and his staff are very responsive not only in tickets but also in their IRC channel.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • @progex - No question about it, RamNode FTW! They are rock solid!

In reference to Linode, you might want to read this (a very solid review :P): http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/4706/why-linode-sucks-a-personal-rant/p1

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • @jimpop said:
    Aren't you the guy who just said you were scared over some tweets? :-)

Tweets? Another your intelectual conclusion? I never said anything about tweets... You're strange silly guy with big urge to chit chat with me, aren't you? :)

• jimpopjimpop Member
    edited November 2013

@GuanYu said:
    Tweets? Another your intelectual conclusion? I never said anything about tweets...

But earlier you did say:

@GuanYu said:
    It's damn scary to see those nullroute notifications for idle boxes first time.

So, either you were the target of a DDoS (and saw the personal email), causing some harm for your network neighbors, or you read the RamNull notifications on twitter. Either way....

@GuanYu said:

You're strange silly guy with big urge to chit chat with me, aren't you? :)

I like helping the misguided, esp around the holidays. :-)

• GuanYuGuanYu Member
    edited November 2013

jimpop said: So, either you were the target of a DDoS, causing some harm for your network neighbors, or you read the RamNull notifications on twitter. Either way....

Detective work? Like I said you're talking about things you have no clue, drawing conclusions and making idiot from yourself.

Let me explain you, detective.
    Ramnode IP subnets in Netherland were two or three times under attack lately. Random IPs over all their nodes. First time when I got "RamNull, our automated DDoS mitigation system, has detected an attack against your IP" notification I was like wtf... It's never nice to see this not knowing what's going on. That's why I said it was scary to see it first time. At beginning client who get this notification can't know that he's not the target specifically and that all others experienced the same.

So much about your highly intellectual "either way"detective.

• Repeating the word "intellectual" when you can't even spell it half the time is just plain funny.

Thanked by 1jimpop
  • GuanYu said: drawing conclusions and making idiot from yourself.

The proper phrase is "making an idiot of yourself", although kudos for getting it close... language differences, etc.

GuanYu said: Ramnode IP subnets in Netherland were two or three times under attack lately. Random IPs over all their nodes.

I followed that whole episode on #ramnode, just like a lot of people did. For a few hours, someone sequentially (not exactly randomly) DDoS'ed some IPs. My RamNode NL services weren't impacted at all. It was hardly a show stopping event, and maybe only cost Nick a few hours of lost sleep.

GuanYu said: You're one crappy detective, you know... ;-)

I'm not a detective, that's why you're failing in trying to compare me to one. I'm glad I could help you sort through that, holidays and such. :-)

• jimpop said: I followed that whole episode on #ramnode, just like a lot of people did. For a few hours, someone sequentially (not exactly randomly) DDoS'ed some IPs. My RamNode NL services weren't impacted at all. .

And your point? That you knew it at the same moment when happened? Good for you, mec, but I have no clue what this have to do with anything said above.

• @jimpop
    Half things in your responses have no connection with conversation. Just saying bro.

Thanked by 2jimpop GuanYu
  • GuanYu said: but I have no clue what this have to do with anything said above.

No problem, I'm glad to be able to help you understand it.

Earlier you stated:

GuanYu said: It's damn scary to see those nullroute notifications for idle boxes first time.

To which I (eventually) replied:

jimpop said: I followed that whole episode on #ramnode, ..... It was hardly a show stopping event

.. implying that you were easily scared by a minor event.

Does that help? :-)

• jimpop said: To which I (eventually) replied

Actually you messed up things and replied with

Aren't you the guy who just said you were scared over some tweets

Just saying again bro.

Thanked by 1GuanYu
This discussion has been closed.