Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linode 2GB -vs- Ramnode 4GB?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linode 2GB -vs- Ramnode 4GB?

Debating between Linode 2GB or Ramnode 4GB plan. Both are similarly priced with a Ramnode coupon.

Looking for a solution with minimal downtime and fast speeds for a SQL-hungry script. I'm leaning towards Ramnode, but it seems they get DDOS'ed quite often.

Thanked by 1jimpop

Comments

• I have been using Linode for several years. Just checked my uptime and it has 180 days, and that is because I rebooted. They are rock solid, highly dependable, and rarely cut off/reboot your services if they are highly used.

• A production environment I will recommend Linode.
    Ramnode is good as well but definitely you cant compare them with Linode directly.

However - if location is not a restriction why dnt you use HA supported IWSTACK ? Uncle and Mao do a very good job and HA keeps them failover supported.

• just go for a dedi if your budget is over $50 :E

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

I'm very happy with RamNode. I have a DDoS protected SSD-Cached KVM with them and its never really gone down.

Thanked by 2Nick_A Asim
  • darknessends said: A production environment I will recommend Linode. Ramnode is good as well but definitely you cant compare them with Linode directly.

Exactly, because Ramnode won't lose your credit card details to a bunch of script kiddies

Thanked by 3Nick_A Asim Cakey
  • sundaymousesundaymouse Member
    edited November 2013

Trust me, for mission-critical tasks, go for Linode. Ramnode is good, but they are relatively more likely to get robertclarked(ie. hacked, downtime and potential data loss) than Linode.

Edit: Just to clarify: any arguments made in this thread by me is not projecting Ramnode in any way. I used to be a user of @Nick_A and has nothing but satisfy to say about their service. Any further opinions made in this thread are only intended to reply to the arguments.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • @Makkesk8 said:
    just go for a dedi if your budget is over $50 :E

No. A cheap dedi is more susceptible to extended downtime than a VPS with a quality provider.

I use both Linode and Ramnode, both are superb. For guarantee of uptime, I think Linode has the edge -- primarily because their support infrastructure is much larger.

• Ramnode is better in every aspect besides server uptime. Allthough problems are solved very fast, I haven't yet seen a month with 100% uptime with them, they got really close, but haven't acomplished it so far for me.
    Ramnode also has the most cpu/$ I have seen yet and their disk I/O is one of the best aswell.

• Linode for critical apps/sites

• ServamanServaman Member
    edited November 2013

I've been with RamNode for about a month now and all I can say is there are amazing.

I have had no issues what so ever, 100% uptime.

Good job @Nick_A

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • Thanks for the feedback guys!

• I'd have to say RamNode; you'll be getting much better performance for your money, and @Nick_A's superb infrastructure and support has never let me down.
    To be fair, I've never needed to contact support, which should emphasise how rock solid his services are.

I wouldn't worry too much about this decision though - Whoever you choose, you'll be in safe hands.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • @ElliotJ said:
    I wouldn't worry too much about this decision though - Whoever you choose, you'll be in safe hands.

Nick has yet to lose my CC info to skiddies.

Linode, however, caused my to cancel and change my credit card. Twice

Thanked by 2Nick_A ElliotJ
  • @sundaymouse said:
    Trust me, for mission-critical tasks, go for Linode. Ramnode is good, but they are relatively more likely to get robertclarked(ie. hacked, downtime and potential data loss) than Linode.

Really ? I mean why do you trust Linode when they were hacked few times

Take a look here: http://it.slashdot.org/story/13/04/15/186248/

Plus here: https://blog.linode.com/2013/04/16/security-incident-update/

LET thread: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/10277/the-story-around-the-linode-hack

Big company does'nt mean that it's safe.

Big Company = Big Risk

Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu
  • @frost : ----> @sundaymouse
    :)

@MaoUnique - Plz win this customer for IWStack

• I think one major difference is in their AUP.

Rammmode states:

"Client agrees not to run any processes on his or her VPS which create a CPU load above .9 on the VPS for an extended period of time"

On the other hand this is what Linode support recently told me:

Regarding abuse of resources, there honestly isn't a specific threshold of when we would be upset about the resources you're using. However if upon evaluation we were to see (for example) you were using 800% CPU for the past month, we would open a ticket with you. We would never disrupt your services unless the actvity causing this usage were malicious and you were unresponsive.

So, if you script is intensive, it might do better on Linnode as they may not be as quick to reboot or terminate processes as some low end providers. With Linnode it seems you are given a more garanteed cpu priority, and you can use that, more or less, as much as you need to without as much concern for going over.

Since you said your script was fairly intense, this may be something to think about.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Thanks guys. @progex - keep context in mind when you're referring to DDoS. We are only specifically targeted on rare occasions (as opposed to just have customers targeted which all popular hosts endure). Also, we are, from what I gather, abnormally open about notifying clients regarding inbound DDoS. We also now have an automated system in place to minimize the overall impact of anything that gets hit outside of our filtered IPs.

Thanks for giving us a look, though, and stop by our IRC channel if you want further insight from clients.

Also, as others have pointed out, Linode's support and size doesn't necessarily mean your data is safer with them. That goes for any host really.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • c0yc0y Member
    edited November 2013

darknessends said: @MaoUnique - Plz win this customer for IWStack

Do us all a favor and stop fanboying

Ramnode is too small (financial and team) to be able to guarantee a solid uptime. Linode is too big to care about shit.

So who then? I would say EDIS or Prometeus.
    EDIS: decent sized team, knowledgeable people, more than just a solus setup and some fanboy marketing. (go for the KVM ofc)
    Prometeus/iwStack: they have years of experience and if you wish even a HA setup

Sorry to say, but Ramnode is far from a premium provider and Linode has friendly support but that doesn't mean they actually give a shit about you... (which they don't, they only care about your money)

• DO could be another option?

• @alexvolk said:

When a small LEB company goes wrong, no one will stand out to be responsible as Linode did in that incident. You have someone stand there to compensate you if that goes wrong (in the incident you talked about, the leaked information does not lead to any possibility of direct fraud usage.)

• said: I'm leaning towards Ramnode, but it seems they get DDOS'ed quite often.

My experience (4 hosts with RamNode, for ~6 months) is that only a few individual IPs get DDoS'ed each month, and rarely 2 at a time. The cool thing is RamNode has RamNull (automated DDoS route nullification), which works very well. The only reason most RamNode customers know about the occasional DDoS is because Nick provides that info on twitter. Otherwise, you would probably never know it had happened and was quickly isolated by RamNull.

• Frost said: Ramnode is too small (financial and team) to be able to guarantee a solid uptime.

Yet they do deliver exactly that. ;-)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2013

I can compare ramnode to linode and I gladly will. Linode provides excellent support and equally excellent service. So does ramnode. In practice, I can't say data is safer with one or the other. We can all google and find examples where every company in the world let somebody down at some point. There's no reason, in practice that has stood the test of time, not to pick ramnode.

Thanked by 2Nick_A Asim
  • @sundaymouse said:
    When a small LEB company goes wrong, no one will stand out to be responsible as Linode did in that incident. You have someone stand there to compensate you if that goes wrong (in the incident you talked about, the leaked information does not lead to any possibility of direct fraud usage.)

Yes, of course Linode will be responsible, because they were hacked few times. I see no reason why others should responsible for that.

• What do they actually did after first hack ?
    • Improved their security!

• What do they actually did after second hack ?

• Improved their security!

and so on...

• @jimpop said:
    My experience (4 hosts with RamNode, for ~6 months) is that only a few individual IPs get DDoS'ed each month, and rarely 2 at a time. The cool thing is RamNode has RamNull (automated DDoS route nullification), which works very well. The only reason most RamNode customers know about the occasional DDoS is because Nick provides that info on twitter. Otherwise, you would probably never know it had happened and was quickly isolated by RamNull.

The datacenter does this for them... for every LEB host...

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Frost - I'm not sure you know what you're talking about on a few points there.

• c0yc0y Member
    edited November 2013

@Nick_A said:
    Frost - I'm not sure you know what you're talking about on a few points there.

You can act all fancy but you are still selling to $7 muppets running WHMCS and SolusVM (i don't blame you but that's far from premium)

You're a decent low end provider, you have proved to be so. But you're still not a provider that could take a serious website like EDIS, Prometeus or Linode could: lack of size and knowledge

• @Frost said:
    The datacenter does this for them... for every LEB host...

You have no idea what you are talking about. ;-) RamNull was developed and implemented by RamNode (Nick and Staff).

Frost said: You can act all fancy but you are still selling to $7 muppets running WHMCS and SolusVM (i don't blame you but that's far from premium)

I just signed+paid for over $1,000 (after discounts) of services from RamNode, hardly chump change, and I'm fairly certain that I am an average customer for Nick.

Frost said: You're a decent low end provider, you have proved to be so. But you're still not a provider that could take a serious website like EDIS, Prometeus or Linode could: lack of size and knowledge

You are comparing apples to oranges. RamNode is in business to provide bare-bones virtual servers (for people who don't need hand-holding), not middleware like iPerWeb. (btw, I also recently dropped a Prometeus server because they still don't have IPv6 in Dallas).

• Chances are Linode gets DDoSed a ton more than RamNode due to sheer size. RamNode's just a lot more transparent about which nodes are getting DDoSed. And that transparency is a major plus factor to me.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
This discussion has been closed.