Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is XO communications still a Tier 1 provider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

is XO communications still a Tier 1 provider?

Sorry if it's a stupid question. Have they ever been?

Comments

• Why does it matter? Tier 2 providers can usually offer you better routing with more peering points, etc.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

And also the criteria on who is Tier 1 vary usually depending on whom you are asking.
    Many people have secret deals and those are turning bad from time to time, we see routing wars, hell, it is a battlefield out there :P

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • XO owns physical fiber miles. The answer is 100% yes.

• @Nodepop said:
    XO owns physical fiber miles. The answer is 100% yes.

They lease it not own it. Especially true for those transatlantic & transpacific calbes.

Being a Tier 1 has nothing to do with owning/leasing fibers.

• NodepopNodepop Member
    edited November 2013

@dnwk said:
    Being a Tier 1 has nothing to do with owning/leasing fibers.

To be a Tier I you would NOT "purchas IP transit or pay settlements". The easiest way to do this is...... To own a physical network and peer out of it. In this day in age, a single peering point will connect you globally. Making you Tier I.

• @rds100 said:
    Why does it matter? Tier 2 providers can usually offer you better routing with more peering points, etc.

I'll have to agree with this. I was asking because XO transit for me is absolute crap compared to say NLayer.

• Nodepop said: In this day in age, a single peering point will connect you globally. Making you Tier I.

No, no exchange currently gives more than 50% of the global table - Top is LINX, followed by AMSIX, by DECIX, by Equinix.

• Nodepop said: The easiest way to do this is...... To own a physical network and peer out of it. In this day in age, a single peering point will connect you globally. Making you Tier I.

Not at all true.