Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$5 XEN VPS Hosting? What are your thoughts? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

$5 XEN VPS Hosting? What are your thoughts?

Comments

• @Jeffrey said:
    zRam = zSwap, it's a new feature in the Linux 3x Kernel, its used in Ubuntu 13.10. "zswap basically trades CPU cycles
    for potentially reduced swap I/O." https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/vm/zswap.txt

"For this reason, zswap is a work in progress and should be considered experimental."

It's not production ready.

• sprakerspraker Member
    edited November 2013

UPDATE: Nick Liu will be commenting on behalf of the confusion and misleading nature of this post - http://deltik.org/news.php?item.11.4 / Reddit AMA - http://redd.it/1re6op http://redd.it/1rebf7

• @spraker

I don't see anyone that's confused we all know you are tied with the company and just tried to self promote by pretending to be a potential customer..

Shame on you..

• @ATHK Right. So for example, I work for Southwest Airlines and I get flight benefits; however, I still have to pay taxes to non rev internationally... I am still going to look up flight prices, compare prices, and read airline quality reviews before I pay the taxes on a "maybe" seat just in case there is a nicer airline I can fly for close to the same price or less. Just because I am "tied", to them does that mean I cannot purchase something from them?

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited November 2013

Another day, another joke on LET (God bless Themeforest for cheap templates...):

• so you're phishing right now, if people give you money, you have a nice x-mas, if not, screw it, you've tried, right?

• @marcm lol at your recent posts and discussions.

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited November 2013

@spraker who the fudge are you? You just joined like a few hours ago. Get the frack out and run your scam some place else.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited November 2013

"stirred quite a bit of controversy"

Not really, it's just a standard LET thread. Who does this guy think he is haha?

Thanked by 1marcm
  • Ash_Hawkridge said: Not really, it's just a standard LET thread. Who does this guy think he is haha?

@Ash_Hawkridge - I haven't been around that often lately, but this is a new one for me. At least in the past I've seen folks trying to promote a small but functional hosting company in an attempt to get their brand name out of obscurity. This however is a new level of low. No product to speak of, yet he collects money.

• @spraker said:
    ATHK Right. So for example, I work for Southwest Airlines and I get flight benefits; however, I still have to pay taxes to non rev internationally... I am still going to look up flight prices, compare prices, and read airline quality reviews before I pay the taxes on a "maybe" seat just in case there is a nicer airline I can fly for close to the same price or less. Just because I am "tied", to them does that mean I cannot purchase something from them?

I can only assume that's an American domestic airline?

Anyway sure you can read the reviews and make your own judgement to weather or not you want to purchase one, what i don't understand is your post, it has nothing to do with an employee posing as a client or potential client.

In reality your initial post looks to me at least like you're trying to self promote or at best get the companies name out there for more potential clients (which again would be self promoting).

You are asking us for reviews on a newly created hosting company but yet you're either a employee, investor or co owner, you as one of the above should know the companies products and the quality of the services you provide.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

This looks like kickstarter project to me. Great idea. Lots of features and unsustainable business plan or no business plan at all.

Good luck

• DeltikDeltik Member
    edited November 2013

Hello LET community,

I'm Nick Liu, the creator of Xenfinity, a project that was prematurely brought into the limelight. (Yes, it is I; you can confirm by checking my email address on my LET profile.)

First of all, I would like to thank all of you for your comments. Even though I didn't expect all this attention, you guys have been really helpful at pointing out the problems on the website. I'm going to take this constructive criticism to improve my service before I even launch it.

I'm a bit embarrassed by @spraker that my rough draft wording was suddenly sent out to all of y'all. Right now, the site looks different from the screencaps from yesterday, as I have begun to make changes based on what you all have been saying.

There is indeed an AMA on reddit for skeptics who want to learn about my motives on a public forum: http://redd.it/1rebf7

Again, I am really thankful to have all of your comments. I plan to address some loose ends in this thread throughout the day, but for now, I'm going to leave this acknowledgement for anyone who's on this discussion.

Have an awesome day!

-- Nick

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • marcmmarcm Member
    edited November 2013

Epic fail, but very entertaining.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

I don't wish to be rude but can someone explain me math on this. How it is possible to make 4GB plan on xen platform for 5 USD ?

• @DomainBop said "tl;dr it's a frickin' free 90-day EssentialSSL trial certificate :P"
    @Deltik said "One of the billing systems that I've been looking into is called Stripe, which requires a valid SSL license. I have no idea how Xenfinity will turn out, so buying a full-fledged SSL license could be a waste of money if Xenfinity were to fail."

You can buy an SSL certificate for less than $10 if you shop around. I paid $5.99 two weeks ago for an EssentialSSL certificate. If you can't afford to spend $5-$10 on an SSL certificate you shouldn't be starting a business. If you are unwilling to invest/risk a few dollars on an SSL because you are unsure of your business plan's viability you shouldn't be taking pre-orders.

Right now, the site looks different from the screencaps from yesterday, as I have begun to make changes based on what you all have been saying.

Changing a few graphics isn't going to make a drastic difference. There's more to starting a business that will be viable for the long term than just setting up a website and taking orders.

Did you bother to write a business plan (stupid question, obviously not because if you had you wouldn't be worried about spending money on a trivial expense like an SSL certificate and would have budgeted for these expenses). Do you have a big enough cash cushion to sustain the business through the first 3-6-12 months since the average startup usually doesn't start making profits right out of the gate? Do you have a big enough cash reserve so that the inevitable chargebacks and other unexpected expenses (bandwidth overages, equipment replacement, etc) won't throw you into a financial crisis?

Here's a suggestion (I love to toss this link into LET threads. :P ): visit this site --> http://www.sba.gov/category/navigation-structure/starting-managing-business/starting-business/writing-business-plan ..and wait to launch until you do some more planning. Rushing into starting a business without being fully prepared is a good way to guarantee the business will fail.

• DeltikDeltik Member
    edited November 2013

@vRozenSch00n
    Thank you for your impartiality! I really appreciate your consideration of my point of view.

• @skybucks100
    As I've said in another comment, the live site was in a drafting stage. The home page has been modified to reflect the correct variety of plans that I'm offering.

There are more plans at https://xenfinity.com/plans

I've got three low-end plans, not just one, and there's a range of other plans beyond just the low-priced ones.

• @Magnittude
    I agree. "Sketchy" is the first word to come to my mind if I were a VPS shopper. Seems impossible to offer such a plan, eh?

The simple truth is that I'm not blinded by the love of money, so I'm not trying to make 200% more than I spend per unit.

Now, other VPS owners may beg to differ. Before you say anything, think about who your server provider is. Reputable as your provider or datacenter might be, I'm quite confident that their prices are quite higher than they should be, and this is where I see the bulk of the corruption.

• @INIZ
    You have every right to be suspicious! It is very clear that @spraker (Kyle) was impetuously advertising my upcoming VPS host. Had I kept a better eye on him, I would have seen that he immediately registered and started leaking my project.

Yes, I invited Kyle to the Xenfinity project; however, I'm not regretful. Your comments—and everyone else's—were really helpful at providing attention about Xenfinity before it was launched.

Did you know that Alfred Nobel was able to see the world reaction to his death before he died? Ludvig Nobel, his brother, died, but the press mistakenly thought that Alfred had died. Alfred Nobel was heavily criticized for his work with destructive materials, and this was horrifying to him because he knew that he would be remembered as a bad guy. In the end, Alfred, inspired to redeem himself as a great scientist, gave up his money to create the Nobel Prize.

A similar thing is happening to Xenfinity right now. I am truly thankful for each one of your comments, for they will be helpful in designing Xenfinity to have a healthy and stable start.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2013

Edited. Can't really be a part of this.

• Are you comparing your operation — or yourself — to Alfred Nobel? O_o

@Deltik said:
    Did you know that Alfred Nobel was able to see the world reaction to his death before he died? Ludvig Nobel, his brother, died, but the press mistakenly thought that Alfred had died. Alfred Nobel was heavily criticized for his work with destructive materials, and this was horrifying to him because he knew that he would be remembered as a bad guy. In the end, Alfred, inspired to redeem himself as a great scientist, gave up his money to create the Nobel Prize.

A similar thing is happening to Xenfinity right now. I am truly thankful for each one of your comments, for they will be helpful in designing Xenfinity to have a healthy and stable start.

• @k0nsl
    To Xenfinity! Do you think that I'm notable enough for the press to react to my not-death? Surely not.

The analogy works for Xenfinity because this thread here is like its accidental unveiling, where we get reactions to the service before the service has even launched.

• @painfreepc
    Good questions! Turns out that the FAQ section wasn't visible enough. I have taken your advice and added "FAQ" to the navigation section, where lots of questions are answered. I'll answer your questions here for convenience's sake:

The data center that I am working with, owned by Iliad Datacenter, is located in Vitry-sur-Seine, France. It's a city just south of Paris. Iliad calls the datacenter "DC3".

I bought an IPv6 /32 subnet. Even though I didn't put it in the FAQ, I'm planning to offer a /64 subnet free to all customers, but first, I have to work out the IPv4 failover system with Iliad before moving on to nice extras like IPv6.

Finally, Xenfinity Hosting is not a mere hobby, and I actually have much more commitment than you can see through your glowing box of wonderlight. Relevant to VPS hosting, I've been in the Web hosting industry for over five years, and over time, I've amassed quite a bit of knowledge of how this industry is doing.

• k0nslk0nsl Member
    edited November 2013

@Deltik

I do get the analogy and I understand the comparison. I just found it to be...err...a bit "napoloenesque", minus the deserving part of such a vision of oneself.

‘When modesty became a travesty’. Chooch and all that. Sounds like something one could put on a gravestone.

Oh well. Good luck!

• DeltikDeltik Member
    edited November 2013

[redacted for @jarland]

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2013

Edited. Not really a public topic.

• DeltikDeltik Member
    edited November 2013

[redacted for @jarland]

• @lukasubo
    Well, going on that one screencap by @skybucks100, you're right that a provider with unreasonable scaling will crash and burn..

Oh, and thanks for pointing out that confusing wording, "1+ IP Addresses". I've changed it to "1 IP address included".

• The data center that I am working with, owned by Iliad Datacenter, is located in Vitry-sur-Seine, France. It's a city just south of Paris. Iliad calls the datacenter "DC3".

translation: you rented a cheap server from Iliad's hosting division Online.net (Iliad itself only offers colo...they don't rent servers)

• @JerryHou said:
    Looking at their plans. Now it's fiver, doubler and square. "doubler", is that a word?

Those plan names were code names, somewhat like Microsoft Whistler, Longhorn, or Blackcomb. You know of them today as Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7.