Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM style VPSs but in Europe
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM style VPSs but in Europe

pingopingo Member
edited September 2011 in General

Anyone has any similar & reliable offers like BuyVM. 128OVZ and stuff.
I mean on a budget around 10 EUR / year with servers located in Europe. I miss this offers in Europe.

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

There's lots in Europe, the thing is if they'll actually live out the year ;)

Francisco

Thanked by 1Steve81
  • They are not that cheap and reliable. Most offers on LEB are USA based. I now pay almost 60 EUR / year for OVZ 256/512/**/*** and it was one of the cheapest i could found on LEB for Europe. Well at least it is reliable. But i would be really glad to see BuyVM similar offers in Europe also.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

The best I'd trust is QualityServers, they have BuyVM style deals every now and then.

• Expensive stuff :/ even with coupons from LEB

• Pretty much. Bandwidth costs more in Europe. Or at least it seems like it to me.

I think quickweb's cheapest was 33 for a year and I don't recall if that was dollars or euros.

• Is cheaper if u want peering only bandwidth
    Is more expensive if you actually want something not outside that country

• I think it's more the cost of power over here.

Electricity here in the UK costs something like 150-200% the US price per KWH. I know France is heavily reliant on cheaper nuclear power, so perhaps that explains OVH's prices.

+1 for Qualityservers though, I've not been a customer too long but I've been very happy with the service and the stability so far. They're not quite in the BuyVM pricing range, but they're not far off it. Pester Fran to get some EU nodes, he's been talking about it for a while, iirc.

• You know there's a DC called OVH which is super cheap, and hetzner is also very cheap.

• I've had good experiences with GoWEB :p

• Thanks for the recommendations @Infinity and @Gary :)

Power is a key concern in the UK for the reasons mentioned above, but also because of the pressure to be "green". Unforuntately, "green" power costs twice as much!

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @maxexcloo what is the website for goweb i find many on the web...
    @fan i am at hetzner right now but its not that cheap even OVH.co.uk has 15 GBP / month for 256MB VPS thats not cheap at all.

maybe ill try this:
    UptimeVPS openvz (France)
    ~$13/Year (€9EUR) -- 384MB/384MB VSwap Ram -- 30GB HD -- 300GB/Month Bandwidth

• Pretty much. Bandwidth costs more in Europe. Or at least it seems like it to me.

It's not the bandwidth is the energy costs. Just compare the Brent with WTI for ordinary power plants and the age and security specifications of European nuclear plants with US based ones.

• kylix said: It's not the bandwidth is the energy costs.

It's neither, it's the high social program costs that make doing business in the EU unattractive.

• kylixkylix Member
    edited September 2011

It's neither, it's the high social program costs that make doing business in the EU unattractive.

That depends which country you mean in the EU. There are some countries that have decend social programmes and everybody is fine with that because it is normal. And secondly, the high social programme costs are in most times lowering the employers income not the income the company has. Especially in the IT-field you don't have minimum wages or collective labour agreements.

• It's neither, it's the high social program costs that make doing business in the EU unattractive.

If that would be the case, how come that especially the high-tax countries with these decend social welfare programmes do have the big companies: finland: nokia, norway: opera, sweden: mysql, germany: hetzner, france: ovh?

• It's neither, it's the high social program costs that make doing business in the EU unattractive.

Actually, dedicated servers are much more cheaper in the EU than in the US. How come?

• @ pingo - try an OVH reseller rather than going directly with OVH. So, pretty much any provider in .fr

• @Gary any links to the providers?

• @komo eh not that cheap :S everything is 20+, 30+ EUR per year

• dannixdannix Member
    edited September 2011

I would recommend qualityservers. I've got 2 of their 128 mb/vswap for 15 gbp/year each. I'm not sure if their offer is still active, but if you are interested, you could take over one of them for a reduced price. Link to the offer http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/qualityservers-15year-128mb-openvz-vps-in-uk/

• Qualityservers is quite nice, but if you intent to put your server offline for a few days it won't work. It will be re-started the next day. This is happening since I signed up with them. Very annoying if you use the VPS just for calculations and want to put if offline when not using it so it doesn't eat your bandwith.

• kylix said: when not using it so it doesn't eat your bandwith.

So, why will eat your bandwidth? ¬¬

• Oh, so many one liners I could come up with....

• Why on earth would you put it offline? What's going to eat your bandwidth if there's nothing running? :D

• Thanks for the recommendation @dannix. I'm afraid that offer is sold out but LEA should post our next offer very shortly :)

@kylix: Although I have to agree with @yomero about the bandwidth, if you want your VPS offline it should stay offline. Could you raise a ticket?

• The GoWEB website is www.goweb.de :)

• kylixkylix Member
    edited September 2011

Why on earth would you put it offline? What's going to eat your bandwidth if there's nothing running? :D

@Gary, @yomero: Why should I put a system online and expose it to the uncountable number of crackers searching for a target if I don't use it. And if I'm testing scripts with a webserver, should I put it offline but let the VPS online without any usage? Why? Maybe there is a loophole in some config I don't know about that might eat bandwidth. Why should I risk that without any need? I'm not so eager to have conversations about bandwidth-overuse as they might happen, proven by one or two threads here at LET.

I also do switch my notebook off if I don't use it. Why not?

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited September 2011
    1. Using it or not, if is online is exposed.

2. Seems that you don't trust in your own knowledge about how to secure your machines =(

3. The servers born to be operating 24/7 Or google shutdown their servers? o_O

• Using it or not, if is online is exposed.

Thats why I put it offline.

Seems that you don't trust in your own knowledge about how to secure your machines =(

I'm not allmighty nor am I a studied techie. I get along quite good with linux for the last 10 years but that's it. I don't have the time to suck up every bit of vulnerability news on hundreds of different feeds. Its my hobby, I have to work. I mainly rely on Debian to take care of loopholes with updates in time.

The servers born to be operating 24/7 Or google shutdown their servers? o_O

Who forces me to use a VPS as a server for the open public? The PC is named personal, but still used for business purposes. Then again, I don't intend to be Google. They do their job, I do my hobby.