Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6 Config
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv6 Config

SaikuSaiku Member, Host Rep

So like, I'm trying to assign this one particular IPv6 to an OVZ VPS.
The host node IPv6 is working properly (as far as I know at the moment. ping6 ipv6.google.com shows result and traceroute6 ipv6.google.com also shows result.)

Although, when I tried to assign an IPv6 to a container, this error comes up

Adding IP address(es): 2a03:8180:1001:1a5::beb3:8b9f
ndsend: Error in sendto(): Cannot assign requested address
vps-net_add WARNING: arpsend -c 1 -w 1 -U -i 2a03:8180:1001:1a5::beb3:8b9f -e 2a03:8180:1001:1a5::beb3:8b9f virbr0 FAILED
CT configuration saved to /etc/vz/conf/147.conf

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks before!

Comments

• as i remember, if you bind the ipv6 to the node, then you cant add to the VM, something like that.

so, dont bind all the ips on the main node, add it to the panel ( if you are using one) and then add from there to the VM.

• SaikuSaiku Member, Host Rep

Oh, I actually add them via SolusVM too before trying it manually. When I tried to restart the node network, the same error comes up :(

• Did you try some other address? Do you have a /64 or a /48, or do you have individual addresses?

I was assigned a /64 by the host. It does the same thing when I tried to assign another different IPv6.

• I had the same problem a while ago. I don't remember how I solved it very clearly, but I had to delete either eth0-range0, or eth1-range0 from /etc/network/interfaces

Although, I might screwed up the ipv6 host configuration. Since I tried to put it on ifcfg-eth0, doesn't work (no connection), ifcfg-eth1, same thing. ifcfg-venet0, same thing. ifcfg-bond1, the host node finally works. If someone could post a step by step for the IPv6 stuff, I would appreciate it.

• dhamaniasad said: but I had to delete either eth0-range0, or eth1-range0 from /etc/network/interfaces

Yes you have to delete because you add it to the NODE, so if you have it on the NODE then you cant add the same ip on a VM.

• Did you do any manual configuration for IPv6? Otherwise, it should work on its own without any problems, or at least it did for me.

To be honest, there was too many stuff that I did earlier, so I probably screwed up somewhere.

Is there an "easy" way to config IPv6? Would SolusVM admin interface help me at all on configuring it? (Since I've been using ssh to configure IPv6.)

service network restart Shutting down interface bond0: [ OK ] Shutting down interface bond1: [ OK ] Shutting down interface venet0: Shutting down interface venet0: [ OK ] Shutting down loopback interface: [ OK ] Bringing up loopback interface: [ OK ] Bringing up interface bond0: ndsend: Error in sendto(): Cannot assign requested address ifup-local WARNING: arpsend -c 1 -w 1 -U -i 2a03:8180:1001:1a5:0:0:b47a:d405 -e 2a03:8180:1001:1a5:0:0:b47a:d405 bond0 FAILED [ OK ] Bringing up interface bond1: [ OK ] Bringing up interface venet0: Bringing up interface venet0: Configuring interface venet0: net.ipv4.conf.venet0.send_redirects = 0 Configuring ipv6 venet0: ndsend: Error in sendto(): Cannot assign requested address ifup-venet WARNING: arpsend -c 1 -w 1 -U -i 2a03:8180:1001:1a5:0:0:b47a:d405 -e 2a03:8180:1001:1a5:0:0:b47a:d405 virbr0 FAILED

I'm just.. lost.

Oh, the IPV6INIT, IPV6ADDR, IPV6_DEFAULTGW are in ifcfg-eth0 atm.

• @Saiku said:
    service network restart Shutting down interface bond0: [ OK ] Shutting down interface bond1: [ OK ] Shutting down interface venet0: Shutting down interface venet0: [ OK ] Shutting down loopback interface: [ OK ] Bringing up loopback interface: [ OK ] Bringing up interface bond0: ndsend: Error in sendto(): Cannot assign requested address ifup-local WARNING: arpsend -c 1 -w 1 -U -i 2a03:8180:1001:1a5:0:0:b47a:d405 -e 2a03:8180:1001:1a5:0:0:b47a:d405 bond0 FAILED [ OK ] Bringing up interface bond1: [ OK ] Bringing up interface venet0: Bringing up interface venet0: Configuring interface venet0: net.ipv4.conf.venet0.send_redirects = 0 Configuring ipv6 venet0: ndsend: Error in sendto(): Cannot assign requested address ifup-venet WARNING: arpsend -c 1 -w 1 -U -i 2a03:8180:1001:1a5:0:0:b47a:d405 -e 2a03:8180:1001:1a5:0:0:b47a:d405 virbr0 FAILED

I'm just.. lost.

Oh, the IPV6INIT, IPV6ADDR, IPV6_DEFAULTGW are in ifcfg-eth0 atm.

Oh, just noticed that you're on OpenVZ. AFAIK, OpenVZ doesn't support subnets, nor does SolusVM. I don't think OpenVZ would be able to utilize a /64. However, if you haven't done anything critical, try doing a reinstall.

• @dhamaniasad said:
    Oh, just noticed that you're on OpenVZ. AFAIK, OpenVZ doesn't support subnets, nor does SolusVM. I don't think OpenVZ would be able to utilize a /64.

You can't do a /64 per OpenVZ container but the host node can take /64 or whatever no problem and assign stuff to containers.

Probably a better question.

How do I actually route a /128 to a container within the node. (can't seem to figure this thing out atm ;-(

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited November 2013

@Saiku said:
    Probably a better question.

How do I actually route a /128 to a container within the node. (can't seem to figure this thing out atm ;-(

• @Saiku lets do some step by step.

first, your NODE OS and if you are using a PANEL for VPS

• @concerto49 a /128 is a single IP.

concerto49 said: You can't do that with OpenVZ. Only multiple single IPs. You need KVM etc.

I see. Thanks.

Oh probably worth saying, I finally could do ping6 from the assigned container and receive a response. Although, when I restarted the network from the host node, I'm still getting

ifup-venet WARNING: arpsend -c 1 -w 1 -U -i 2a03:8180:1001:1a5:0:0:b47a:d405 -e 2a03:8180:1001:1a5:0:0:b47a:d405 virbr0 FAILED

I wonder if my setup is wrong.. hmm.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited November 2013

@dedicados said:
    Saiku lets do some step by step.

first, your NODE OS and if you are using a PANEL for VPS

I probably should refresh the page before replying the above.

Node OS is running CentOS 64 bit, with OpenVZ kernel. Also, It has SolusVM Slave on it. (Don't worry, I'm not making a summerhost orwhatsoever)

Welp. I guess I could disregard whatever error service network restart comes up with on the host node. Apparently when I tried to use the IPv6 I assigned to one of the container, it's working. Thanks everyone!