Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Market Research] My Low Cost Service
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Market Research] My Low Cost Service

drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep
edited November 2013 in General

Are you willing to pay 5USD a mont for OpenVZ with your dedicated core of Intel Xeon 5639, (yours 2.13GHz which you can abuse as you like), 1 GB of RAM, 1TB traffic and lets say 10GB HDD with offsite backup included ? Any recommendation for adjustments of plan ?

Thank you all for possible help.

Comments

• More HDD.

• Very interesting idea :) But why OpenVZ and not KVM or Xen (PV)?

• I never met before that I can do abusive your CPU. Can you give a guarantee? Log?

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

@chauffer How much more ?

@andrzej openvz is not a must, that is why i am doing this research

@horas, you can slow down entire node with cpu abuse... i dont understand what guarantee you need ?

• How would this be a sustainable business model? Let's say you have a dual-CPU 6-core machine. That's 12 cores. 12 x $5 == $60/month per node. After you factor in colo costs (not to mention monitoring and your time to answer tickets), I wouldn't recommend running a business that makes $60/node.

Unless my maths is wrong.... ?

@Jonny_Evorack Thank you for your comment. It will be small amount of VM.s that will be sold. I got few servers that are doing nothing, and support stuff that can handle more clients, so i am in other words adapting to market.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Would have to be sure it was still policed well. Rarely is CPU% the only effected stat.

• I just want to make sure if I make 100% of my vcpu slow down not suspended it. And how do you a guarantee for that? Thanks

• Well if you're proposing this as a "loss leader", then this is not a bad idea. It will help you gather clients. A good customer base is always good. Just don't expect to make any form of direct profit from this offering. $60 per server (if your server has 12 cores!) is not sustainable by any stretch. But if you have the power, bw, staff, IPs, etc to spare, then go for it :)

EDIS do this for their free RaspberryPi co-lo offering.

• Time for a CPU miner!

• He would not receive full $5 even...

If you are offering 10 GB SSD then that's great. Else atleast double it, if not more.

Jonny_Evorack said: $60 per server (if your server has 12 cores!) is not sustainable by any stretch. But if you have the power, bw, staff, IPs, etc to spare, then go for it :)

+1

• @Jonny_Evorack said:
    How would this be a sustainable business model? Let's say you have a dual-CPU 6-core machine. That's 12 cores. 12 x $5 == $60/month per node. After you factor in colo costs (not to mention monitoring and your time to answer tickets), I wouldn't recommend running a business that makes $60/node.

Unless my maths is wrong.... ?

The cpu has HT so I'm guessing hes going to sell a dedicated thread not core. Either way you'd still need the price to be higher, probably $10 at least.

@sc754 It would be HTed core for 5 USD of course.

@MikeIn it would be impossible for 5 USD SSD drive, must do some calculations, 7 usd will do i think

@horas you are welcome to try when service start, then you can post review here

Hi, after some math here is calculation, i have 2 nodes for sell. CPU has 12 cores, 24 with HT. Price will be 6,5 USD for a month. You get full HT core which you can abuse as you wish, 1 GB RAM and 20GB HDD. Other node will have SSD drive and it will be few bucks more.

Website is in design process, vitalization will be powered by XEN PV and VPS panel will be custom solution, already in build process.

I am opened for testing. I need 10 volunteers that will receive testing accounts for a one month period. Send your application as a private message.

This project will go only for 24 accounts on every server. As i have 2 servers there will be 48 clients in total. One user one account.

Thank you all for suggestions and support.

• craigbcraigb Member
    edited November 2013

@drserver unless I missed it you didn't indicate location, peering and (edit) speed. Care to share?

@craigb after test i will go for location, node port is 1 gbps, so 1gbps shared

• Winter host I suppose ?

@alexvolk I didnt understand question

• anyNodeanyNode Member, Host Rep

@drserver said:
    Are you willing to pay 5USD a mont for OpenVZ with your dedicated core of Intel Xeon 5639, (yours 2.13GHz which you can abuse as you like), 1 GB of RAM, 1TB traffic and lets say 10GB HDD with offsite backup included ? Any recommendation for adjustments of plan ?

Thank you all for possible help.

Are you expecting to profit from this at all?

• I'd buy this :>

• MelitaMelita Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2013

24 threads * 6.5 USD = $156 / month. It's sustainable and profitable. There are some dual L5639 being rented at a price way below that.

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

This is probably on a Dell c6100, you can pick them up on ebay for around $1,500 which has 4 nodes in a 2U.. so at $156/mo for renting out the 2 nodes, he will probably get his money back within the first year and get to use the other 2 nodes while doing it..

hi,
    As I saw here, no one gives dedicated core/thread LEB. So this is my entry into low end market. As i said, 2 nodes only, so realy this cant hurt my business at this moment. I will not make millions of it but it will work, it will cover colo fees and bring some money back.

edited November 2013

Service testing started, 20 test accounts delivered. Domain name is in transfer state.
    Brand will be sugarvps.com

XEN 1024 MB RAM
    10 GB SATA DRIVE
    1 FULL DEDICATED CORE
    6,5 USD

Client panel ( billing and VM management ) is in building process.
    Offer is limited to 48 VMs.

I hope that first days of December will be starting days. We don't take pre orders...

Thank you all