Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fully Managed Server require.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Fully Managed Server require.

Hi,

I am using Digitalocean:

Plan: $20/mo

Ram: 2G

Disk: 40G SSD

CPU: 2 Cores

Bandwidth: 3TB @ 1Gbps port (unmetered until announce)

I need to shift server with this price range from unmanaged to managed server.

Requirements are same as above but require:

-Bandwidth more (unmetered port around or less 100mbps if possible).

-Disk can be 10 to 20 GB as disk is not a requirement.

-Preferred IP Location New York.

-Cpu Core can be one but Ram minimum 2GB.

-Must support proxy service like youtube proxy.

DigitalOcean is best for our requirements but we spend more time on server managing than development as we have already suffered DoS attack and also I am a student.

Please recommend managed servers with my requirements with good company as DigitalOcean.

This is my first post, ignore typo.

Regards,
Shahbaz

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

In my honest opinion, and I know some will disagree and are free to, don't get a managed VPS at that price. It is unsustainable. I don't know how many times I've been told "You're wrong, I have managed for X price and I've been pleased the whole time" followed by something along the lines of "Looking for new host, mine is selling off their assets."

Help me pick a sustainable solution for you. What is it that your server is used for and what kind of traffic do you sustain?

• @jarland said:
    In my honest opinion, and I know some will disagree and are free to, don't get a managed VPS at that price. It is unsustainable. I don't know how many times I've been told "You're wrong, I have managed for X price and I've been pleased the whole time" followed by something along the lines of "Looking for new host, mine is selling off their assets."

Help me pick a sustainable solution for you. What is it that your server is used for and what kind of traffic do you sustain?

Thanks for your support.

Server traffic is used for video streaming as mentioned:

youtube video proxy.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

If you have DDoS attacks you need to take a protected host as well.
    I would suggest OVH as it is very cheap and get someone in your team to manage the server separately.
    It will never be only 20$ a month, though.

• I used a 128MB RAM openvz openvpn connection to stream Netflix and YouTube while I was overseas. $15/yr from BuyVM. What are you using 2GB RAM for?

• Even 32mb can run proxy, better using openvpn.

I second the OVH recommendation. I'd opt out of managed with the budget and just keep plugging away. Eventually you won't need to work so hard. Feel free to ask us for advice or how to do something. If anyone here knows we'll gladly share.

• Plan: $20/mo

If $20 is your price limit then I'd probably stay with DigitalOcean and just ask questions here when you need help. The providers who offer a 2GB VPS with managed services for $20 (or even for $50) are usually not the most experienced...

If you can raise your price target then there are some (unmanaged) alternatives.

I second the OVH recommendation.

I'll third the OVH recommendation only if you two are referring to their VMWare Cloud line but it is probably above his price range (€30.49 for a 2GB VPS). Their cheaper Classic line (OpenVZ inside VMWare) isn't the most stable platform. Bandwidth is capped at 100Mb/s on all their VPS's. The VMWare line is only offered in France and Quebec though which isn't near NY.

HostVirtual's 2GB CPanel VPS in NYC would be a better choice for him than DigitalOcean (much better network, more stable) if he wants something near New York but it is $40 monthly. The free CPanel that's included would make it easier to manage for someone with less experience (although I would never put CPanel or Plesk on one of my servers :P ) No DDoS protection on the $40 monthly plan though (their DDoS plans start at $150/month)

If DDoS protection is a must, then a BuyVM KVM with a filtered IP in New Jersey would be the cheapest DDoS protected option in the NYC area ($43 for 2GB w/filtered IP).

I'd also recommend an Iniz 2GB in NYC over DigitalOcean's KVM any day but the outgoing bandwidth (2TB on the plans on their site) included is less then he needs, and no DDoS protection.

edited November 2013

I think the main problem here is DDoS, probably they have to leave DO because of that therefore DDoS protection is probably a must.
    OVH offers it very cheap and this economy will allow for a pretty good dedi there even though 100 mbps limited, the total of 3 TB of traffic does not strike me like 1 TB port is needed especially in the case of streaming, unless all the stuff happens in an hour a day or so.
    The managed part will not come near that, even if all the budget will be for management (i mean a meaningful management).

• Only Managed itself will cost you more than $20, If you pay me $100 I don't even want Manage the server for you =)

Netxons said: Only Managed itself will cost you more than $20,

Exactly, however, he might find someone to do it for 100, even less.

• I found this semi managed server, have anyone used this ?
    any reviews about their service.

• edited November 2013

Last year I'm using Cloudlix. Stable network, good support.
    But when I'm using it for running Java, like Minecraft, it's so laggy.

For tun/tap, web have to sent a Ticket requesting it. Network is about unmetered 100mbps, there's a time I forgot to do something, and it just consume around 3TB within 2 hours.

Installation is a bit secured, because anytime we want to reinstall, they will sent a confirmation code to our email to continue. And that's can prevent hacked/leaked user details.

One thing that make me leave is the price at that time :D

• jnguyenjnguyen Member
    edited November 2013

We can offer you:

2 CPU Cores

50GB SSD Accelerated RAID-10 HDD

5TB Bandwidth, 1Gbit Port

2GB Guaranteed RAM, 4GB Burst

1 IPv4

Fully Managed

Price per month ? Just $10, which is HALF the price you requested.

Pm me if interested :)

For DDoS protection you can purchase this VPS and then purchase a small BuyVM VPS with a DDoS protected IP and ask our techs to set up a gre tunnel for you

@jarland - Maybe it's not possible and/or sustainable anywhere else, but it is here. And I just made it possible.

• GreenValueHost said: Fully Managed

Meaning I don't need to login to the server ever, everything I need to do you do it?

• @vedran - We'll do anything you need us to do.

• Could you tell me what are the requirements for your Managed service? Would it be the inital setup, monitoring etc? Please tell me more.

@GreenValueHost -- Everything is possible, even overselling your servers like shit that's achievable, but don't mean it'll work in the long run though :)

Bit of advice to the OP, you certainly don't want a managed service from a extremely budget provider. You will be disappointed.

Thanked by 1DomainBop
  • jnguyenjnguyen Member
    edited November 2013

@Reece - I don't consider GreenValueHost to be an "extremely budget provider". We don't compromise industry standard quality with our prices, neither in terms of performance nor managed support.

@vedran- I'll even throw in an extended 60 day full money back guarantee if you decide you're not satisfied with our managed services, I'm confident that you will be and I'll even personally supervise your account.

• @OP. just take GvH offer.. he even willing to do everything. but don`t forget to do backup everyday ;-)

• ReeceReece Member
    edited November 2013

@GreenValueHost said:
    Reece - I don't consider GreenValueHost to be an "extremely budget provider". We don't compromise industry standard quality with our prices, neither in terms of performance nor managed support.

Judging by how you do your offers I'd you so yes.

@shahbaz, my personal recommendation goes to KnownSRV.com -- Those guys certainly do provide a managed service with outstanding customer communications.

One of the funny things is, you'd be lucky to find over 30 VPS's per node, all resources are undersold, What's even funnier is they use OpenVZ (Good on them!)

I'd rather buy a $20.00/Mo 1GB VPS from KnownSRV which is actually managed by experienced technicians WHO KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING. Than say your 2GB "Managed" VPS for $10 a month, we all know how you sell your resources let alone trying to fit in your "Personal supervision" for $10 a month.

• @Zen - We have conflicting views here. I don't believe that we provide everything for nothing. I believe that our prices that we offer right now are reasonable, fair, and sustainable in all honesty and I also do believe that we provide premium services.

If you'd like to test out our management services, I'll be more than happy to give you a free trial of 10 free management tickets for anything Linux related. Just message me and I'll set you up.

• @Zen - To give you an insight on why I made that offer, we recently tripled our work force and we need more work to do.

• @Zen - We'll add more staff.

• @Zen said:
    OK. And what happens when you have enough work and that client is no longer sustainable?

Change focus.. Sell them to someone around..

• To give you an insight on why I made that offer, we recently tripled our work force and we need more work to do.

To give you an insight from my couple decades in business worth of experience, adding unnecessary operating expenses by hiring more staff than you need isn't a good idea. For an example, during the dot com era many companies were hiring 10 people to do work that could be done by 1 or 2 employees...none of those companies survived the crash because their cost structure was so bloated.

You're really limiting your potential customer base to a tiny segment of the market by making low offers like this (not to mention unnecessarily reducing your margins). The average business customer is used to paying $50-$100 or much more monthly for a managed services add-on and when they see an offer like this they'll think "there must be something wrong...quality probably sucks...too good to be true...probably a scam" and will head off to a provider charging much more.

tl;dr charging higher managed services rates will probably yield more customers and will definitely increase your profit margins.

• @GreenValueHost said: For DDoS protection you can purchase this VPS and then purchase a small BuyVM VPS with a DDoS protected IP and ask our techs to set up a gre tunnel for you (...)

Question: won't such a setup introduce additional latency to the destination VPS, hosted with you?

• @aglodek - Yes however it would be hardly noticeable because they have a NYC Metro location I believe

edited November 2013

@GreenValueHost said:
    We can offer you:

2 CPU Cores

50GB SSD Accelerated RAID-10 HDD

5TB Bandwidth, 1Gbit Port

2GB Guaranteed RAM, 4GB Burst

1 IPv4

Fully Managed

Pm me if interested :)

For DDoS protection you can purchase this VPS and then purchase a small BuyVM VPS with a DDoS protected IP and ask our techs to set up a gre tunnel for you

jarland - Maybe it's not possible and/or sustainable anywhere else, but it is here. And I just made it possible.

Well, good luck and props for going for it, but it's not like we haven't all seen this a hundred times before, there's a reason we warn against it :)

• @Maounique said:

Linode does managed for $100/mo IIRC

But probably wont include as much as a host here would do.
    Managed is relative, installing the OS and some panel + basic security when needed (updates mainly some firewall setup to block countries per request) that might mean managed for some.
    Others might expect complete handholding, including manage the tickets of their customers.

• @GreenValueHost please try to satisfy your existing customer base before making unbelievable offers like in this thread.And please take my this post as costructive criticism & try to improve quality of your services.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1323738