Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

owncloud.org do you use it? Are you happy with it?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

owncloud.org do you use it? Are you happy with it?

Any body using owncloud.org ? are you happy with it? What do you use it for mostly?

Comments

• Personal storage as I don't download any of the desktop / mobile sync clients, works fine.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited October 2013

It's rather buggy

• I've been using ownCloud for the best part of a year, and I'm pretty happy with it considering it's a free and it doesn't need much in the way of resource to run (256MB is comfortable with apache).

I use it for private file sharing with my family (photo albums, family videos etc - I don't like putting private stuff like that on DropBox and Facebook and the like).

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2013

Tries to be "everything at once", and succeeds at nothing. Full of extremely stupid limitations which to me only prove one thing, its authors do not even use it themselves. For example Gallery and Files are two entirely separate things, can't simply open a folder of pictures in the "Files" area and view it Gallery-style. Music is yet another separate area, i.e. can't transparently play a music folder either. And as a pure file storage I do not see any benefit over a plain directory and sftp/sshfs/nfs/cifs access.

Also it's not "Cloud", not in any sense of the word, even the name itself is just pure marketing b/s.

• You're an angry person. Hug?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Nekki said: You're an angry person. Hug?

Nah, just give me back the hour I spent setting up and trying to use that crap. :)

Thanked by 2asil asf
  • rm YOU ARE 100% right. 1000% right that what I was thinking using it for the last 1 year on another pc. I am fed up with that stupid application but was going to give it another chance.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • Now I'm trying to set it up with btsync for a Dropbox alternative. I read some blogs and find it's really a good choice.

Actually the only thing I need from ownCloud is the "versions" feature which allows you to roll back to previous version of a file. But I'm struggling now with some permission issue on btsync side...

• I don't like the design, especially their logo.

I prefer AjaXplorer.

• StarryStarry Member, Host Rep

I used it for 1 months, with many bugs I removed it...

• I think it's horses for courses. I have no issues with bugs aside from file permissions getting reset if you use the upgrade widget, which is annoying, but a 30 second fix.

As with any solution, your mileage will vary based on your own needs, I don't think there's any 'perfect' file-sharing solution out there.

• Keeps breaking for me, it's too buggy to be useable.

• Hmmm... so, given the majority consensus, at least in this here thread, any recommendations re alternatives to OwnCloud...?

• I was happily using ownCloud with one of my LEB's for a few months when problems started to pop up. After some large files into the ownCloud and syncing I noticed that mySQL on my server got very buggy. Finally it ended up corrupting the database. The VPS was only 128mb of Ram so I'm not sure if that caused the problem or not. All I know is that it was frustrating trying to recover all that I lost in those databases from backups.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited October 2013

I noticed some drastic OC improvements lately (http://owncloud.org/sync-clients/releases/ check Release 1.4.0) which improved few old OC client side flaws I disliked the most however I still prefer Pydio (formerly AjaXplorer) for my personal usage.

@andrzej self hosted OC alternatives: seafile and sparkleshare

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @Spirit said:
    I noticed some drastic OC improvements lately (http://owncloud.org/sync-clients/releases/ check Release 1.4.0) which improved few old OC client side flaws I disliked the most however I still prefer Pydio (formerly AjaXplorer) for my personal usage.

andrzej self hosted OC alternatives: seafile and sparkleshare

I tried seafile, but since it uses Git way to store the files, it's very hard to find the "real file" in server. It's not like dropbox or owncloud storing your files in folders like normal file system. I think seafile is only good for programmer?

• @JerryHou said:
    I tried seafile, but since it uses Git way to store the files, it's very hard to find the "real file" in server. It's not like dropbox or owncloud storing your files in folders like normal file system. I think seafile is only good for programmer?

That's true, seafile store all files into blocks for its version control system but that's the reason why seafile have more stable and faster sync process than OC. Also if you use server side OC encryption (people usually do) it doesn't help you much to see file names in your data dir.

• @Spirit said:
    That's true, seafile store all files into blocks for its version control system but that's the reason why seafile have more stable and faster sync process than OC. Also if you use server side OC encryption (people usually do) it doesn't help you much to see file names in your data dir.

My plan is to use ownCloud only on server for the "file versions" and BTSync to handle the client part. But the issue I face now is that BTSync is running on root, and all the files BTSync synced are under "root:root" which doesn't allow ownCloud to keep a version history since ownCloud has no permission on those files... Still trying how to run BTSync as a normal user...

• If I just want to upload my file in web so that I can open that anywhere, which one should I choose? No versioning is needed, because it will be used as read only. OwnCloud or Pydio?

Thanks...

• @JerryHou said:
    My plan is to use ownCloud only on server for the "file versions" and BTSync to handle the client part. But the issue I face now is that BTSync is running on root, and all the files BTSync synced are under "root:root" which doesn't allow ownCloud to keep a version history since ownCloud has no permission on those files... Still trying how to run BTSync as a normal user...

Maybe you can do crontab chowning www-data:www-data to btsync location for every 5 minutes. Or is that a bad idea?

Thanked by 1JerryHou
  • @Wira_Soenaryo said:
    If I just want to upload my file in web so that I can open that anywhere, which one should I choose? No versioning is needed, because it will be used as read only. OwnCloud or Pydio?

Thanks...

OwnCloud is a good choice. Because it stores your files in whole. You can download them from server anytime by ftp.

Pydio stores them like Git in pieces. Using other method to download the files is a suicide mission...

• @budi1413 said:
    Maybe you can do crontab chowning www-data:www-data to btsync location for every 5 minutes. Or is that a bad idea?

I don't think so. Because I think the moment btsync finished, the file is "root" and owncloud cannot touch it anymore. After you change the owner, owncloud can only record the version from this moment. If you change again on your PC and it is synced again, still no versions...

I think the best way is still to run btsync as a user/group, and add www-data to this group.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2013

@JerryHou said:
    Pydio stores them like Git in pieces. Using other method to download the files is a suicide mission...

That's incorrect. Pydio formerly known as AjaXplorer store files "normaly" into directory. Seafile is the one who store all files into blocks for its version control system.

• JerryHouJerryHou Member
    edited November 2013

@Spirit said:
    That's not true. Pydio formerly known as AjaXplorer store files "normaly" into directory. Seafile is the one who store all files into blocks for its version control system.

Oh, shoot, I must remember it wrongly. Can't remember why I give up on Pydio either...oh they don't have versions control...

• @Wira_Soenaryo said:
    If I just want to upload my file in web so that I can open that anywhere, which one should I choose? No versioning is needed, because it will be used as read only. OwnCloud or Pydio?

Thanks...

I use both but for this simple task I find Pydio (ex AjaXplorer) more convenient.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I use iSCSI and I mount it all over the place. You can use it as local storage albeit slower.
    I do not mount it directly on android, though, for that i mount it on another local VM and export as http. I could do some video sharing with html 5 but never got the time.

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited November 2013

Pydio looks awesome. I've used ajaxplorer since a few years, but with the new features and Android app, pydio is great.

Wrote a simple tutorial on how to install it properly:

• @Spirit said:
    That's incorrect. Pydio formerly known as AjaXplorer store files "normaly" into directory. Seafile is the one who store all files into blocks for its version control system.

I look through their FAQ again and find it.

http://pyd.io/administrator/workspaces/workspaces-additional-features/files-versionning/

Files versionning

The current implementation is based on Git for the sake of simplicity, and it has some drawbacks :

Only works for FS-based workspaces

Git is known for not very well scaling for huge files. Thus if you are planning to use only media files for example (videos), you should probably avoid this.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2013

@JerryHou files versionning feature with git seems optional through plugin (meta.git).
    All my files are stored inside /var/lib/ajaxplorer/data/ dir by default and can be accessed directly (via sftp, WebDAV...)

Thanked by 1JerryHou