Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Got a dedi, now what????? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Got a dedi, now what?????

Comments

• I got hard time with ubuntu.. it is completely different from centos -_- I tried to install a seedbox but ended with problems.. I like centos more..

• @Zen said:

I am using centos for too long.. I got hard time to make me comfortable with ubuntu..
    btw, its not totally different. I just saying that to expressed my feeling :)
    what you said is correct, got different errors, different problems, thats why I like centos more..

• @psycholyzern said:
    what you said is correct, got different errors, different problems, thats why I like centos more..

Debian is also good, I don't use ubuntu only centos or debian

• @sc754 said:
    Debian is also good, I don't use ubuntu only centos or debian

ubuntu is more like debian right? I never use ubuntu before, I see some similarities between utbuntu and debian..
    btw, I reinstalled my dedi with centos, now, Im happy with it :)

• can I know, If I buy dedi from another provider, are they have panel like online.net have??
    where I can install, manage and reboot the server?

• @psycholyzern said:
    can I know, If I buy dedi from another provider, are they have panel like online.net have??

Most give that info when you order server, but if you are not sure, you will need to ask provider if they have that feature, not all providers have this, and with some that even depends on server line you have ordered.

• @psycholyzern said:
    can I know, If I buy dedi from another provider, are they have panel like online.net have??

Ovh is similar. Most providers don't offer a panel

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Running NMRiH Gameserver :D

• I also prefer CentOS over Ubuntu -- likely just because I'm used to it.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited November 2013

One thing that I learned recently is that dedicated server providers offer many different ways for you to externally manage a dedicated server. Many of their control panels are provider-developed. Some are primitive, and some are very sophisticated.

Some providers load your requested operating system, and you are on your own after that. You may be given a control panel that lets you power on and power off your VPS and that's it. If you misconfigure your VPS and cut off network access, you will have to open a ticket and ask the provider to help fix it or reload the OS. You may be required to pay a fee every time the provider gets involved.

On the other end of the spectrum, some dedicated server providers include a control panel that gives you many external features that you can control - load a new operating system without provider assistance, a separate serial console, etc. - many of the same features that we take for granted with most VPSs.

If you are thinking about signing up for a dedicated server, it pays to look carefully at the provider websites to see which control and management features they offer, in addition to the hardware and network specs.

(Caveat: I have no experience running a remote dedicated server. I did a little research to fulfill my curiosity about the tools that dedicated server providers offer, to learn how they differ from VPSs. Someday I may sign up for a dedicated server, but I have a long way to go, learning to secure and manage my VPSs first.)

• wow.. sounds hard to find a good dedicated server provider.. need to carefully understand what services they offered.. I will note it in my mind..
    to pay only for reloading OS sound so silly for newbie like me..hahaha

• Try something with minecraft perhaps.
    Some control panel,experience with spacebukkit, it's open source.

• Try to get more IP's and set it up as a VPS server! And then host a website, mail server, and minecraft server. That's what I would do with a spare dedicated server.

• yongchuan2502yongchuan2502 Member
    edited November 2013

Hey.do you consider http://www.buyaliyun.com/ the cheapest server is $16.we all support windows and linux.of course,if you know less about server or other,i think you can buy a cheaper to try so that you learn how to operate server.

• @yongchuan2502 said:
    Hey.do you consider http://www.buyaliyun.com/ the cheapest server is $16.we all support windows and linux.of course,if you know less about server or other,i think you can buy a cheaper to try so that you learn how to operate server.

You shouldn't be posting your offers here, trying to do a self promotion.

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited November 2013

@yongchuan2502 said:
    Hey.do you consider

We're talking about dedicated servers, and you come and post your overpriced VPS offer.

• http://www.buyaliyun.com/ - no offense, but that color scheme of your site, literally hurt my eyes.

• @BuyCPanel_Kevin said:
    Try to get more IP's and set it up as a VPS server! And then host a website, mail server, and minecraft server. That's what I would do with a spare dedicated server.

That was what I thought.. but can I buy additional ip from online.net?? I cant even open a ticket with them

@yongchuan2502 said:

I am interested with vps from rare location.. but for 1mbps bandwidth, it reminds me with my own country, and it makes me hurt.. Im from malaysia and bandwidth here are expensive like hell.. -_-

• @BuyCPanel_Kevin said:
    Try to get more IP's and set it up as a VPS server! And then host a website, mail server, and minecraft server. That's what I would do with a spare dedicated server.

He doesn't even know how to setup his own webserver yet...

OP: learn fucking Linux before you buy a dedi, period.

• Install ProxMox VE on the dedicated so you can create virtual machines to experiment on without having to re-install your dedicated every time you mess up. You could also use Dome9 for firewall - works for me quite well.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited November 2013

@emg said:
    One thing that I learned recently is that dedicated server providers offer many different ways for you to externally manage a dedicated server. ...

Some providers load your requested operating system, and you are on your own after that. You may be given a control panel that lets you power on and power off your VPS and that's it. If you misconfigure your VPS and cut off network access, you will have to open a ticket and ask the provider to help fix it or reload the OS. You may be required to pay a fee every time the provider gets involved.

I just re-read my post. In the above paragraph, I meant "dedicated server", not "VPS". I hope everyone was smart enough to realize it. The corrected text is:

Some providers load your requested operating system, and you are on your own after that. You may be given a control panel that lets you power on and power off your dedicated server and that's it. If you misconfigure your dedicated server and cut off network access, you will have to open a ticket and ask the provider to help fix it or reload the OS. You may be required to pay a fee every time the provider gets involved.

• @Frost said:
    OP: learn fucking Linux before you buy a dedi, period.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @wrox said:

Oh, right. That's what she said!

More appropiate when reading the sentence literally would be

• You two get a room :)

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

@psycholyzern said:I grabbed a dedi from online.net..
    what I need to do now??

You need to put your p0rn in it man!! server p0rn that is! lol..

500GB of unadulterated XXX HP's and Dell's ;)

• Here is a threesome to start you off..

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • c0yc0y Member
    edited November 2013

This thread just got weirder than weird, haha

• @Frost said:
    This thread just got weirder than weirder, haha

So I'm not the only one seeing a penguin shagging the devil??

Thank god!! thought someone put acid in my weed!! lol

• @Frost said:
    He doesn't even know how to setup his own webserver yet...

at least, now I hosted a small webste and a seedbox on it :p

• Good, that's a start. It's also worth looking into nginx and FPM if you aren't running that already.